Best tool for pilot holes - Neck mount pickup? Thanks

garybaldy

Reaction score
I want to reposition a neck mount pickup on my (budget) archtop. The job will require that I plug the old holes in the sides of the fret board and drill 4 new ones. Stewmac recommends using a 1/16th" bit.
Can anyone recommend a tool with a tiny chuck that I can position square to the side of the fret board which won't damage the guitar top?
Also, what would be the best filler for the old holes? The finish on the sides of the fret board is black.
Many thanks guys.

ARandall

Reaction score
Use a small nail and hammer to make some small indents right where you want to drill. A 1/16th bit will require no pilot as such, only accurate locating.
A dremel might be a good tool if the drill bits fit in it.....but ive never used a dremel so cant advise on compatibility.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Use a small nail and hammer to make some small indents right where you want to drill. A 1/16th bit will require no pilot as such, only accurate locating.
A dremel might be a good tool if the drill bits fit in it.....but ive never used a dremel so cant advise on compatibility.
Thanks but sorry -
I meant pilot holes for the screws not for the drill bit.
But my issue is getting a small enough drill chuck that wont touch and damage the guitar top when it's rotating.
Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
That will be a problem......but often you can just place a flat object like a large scraper on the top to protect the finish.
Pilot holes for the screws will be based on the screw and thread size. You can choose to drill in 2 steps if you want, but given you are likely to have to drill from an angle, the nail technique works well to hold the drill in place.

garybaldy

Reaction score

Spotcheck Billy

Reaction score
I use one of the small hand twist drills that W666 suggested above and think they are great. The bits that came with mine are a bit dodgy but work well enough for the task.

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you show some pictures? These are neck pups? Why are you drilling the side of the fret board. Love to see a pic.

Cheers Peter.

the great waldo

Reaction score
You can get sets of long thin drills which are quite flexible. Used in a hand battery powered drill the drill bit can be literally run and held with two fingers while turning and bending at the same time. If you want to be super safe a small drill bit glued or soldered into a brass or steel tube will give you a long thin stiff drill that can be run from past the guitars side, don't forget some protection for the top. On no account use a dremel, they are way to fast for a long drill bit and will demolish the front of your guitar in a heartbeat !! don't ask me how I know !!
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Latest Threads