best Tokai, Burny, or Greco models?

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
Ok, this year I'm going to get one of the above. what are the best LP models/years, specs for the above guitars? What should I look for? What would be your "realistic" wish list (as in, I don't want to spend a ton of money). What's the best buy model? Thanks in advance

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
LOL oh man..there is a billion of these threads here already :D It really comes down to preference and wood types that you want. Do you want a custom, a plain top, flame top - veneered or solid, etc etc. All three companies are right on par and make some shitty low end stuff and some phenomenal mid to high end goods! What is your budget?

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
LOL oh man..there is a billion of these threads here already :D It really comes down to preference and wood types that you want. Do you want a custom, a plain top, flame top - veneered or solid, etc etc. All three companies are right on par and make some shitty low end stuff and some phenomenal mid to high end goods! What is your budget?
yeah, I know there are a lot of discussions, but its tough to tell what is a good starting point, year(s), model for each. Is one better than the other? I just don't want to buy something and (like I normally do) find out there are better ones out there for the same price. I'm looking anywhere up to $700... but would like to get one around 4-500 if possible.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
I own all three makers and man, it is so hard to say! If I had to choose, on the spot at this moment, I would choose my Greco Super Real Custom over my Burny's and Tokai's but that could change a week from now lol

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
thanks... any direction to these former threads would be appreciated too. Hate to beat a dead horse, just trying to figure out what I should keep my eye out for.

Deguello

Reaction score
thanks... any direction to these former threads would be appreciated too. Hate to beat a dead horse, just trying to figure out what I should keep my eye out for.
look at the bottom of the page..As long as you are signed in there should be links to threads simular to this topic...

3pupLPC

Reaction score
I assume that you mean Japanese? Focusing on MIJ, IMO the absolute best value for consistency, quality and VALUE are the Burny Customs from the '80's... for whatever reason, the prices have not soared on these as on other models, and if you shop, you can find one easily for under $700... just be patient. $600-$700 for a Tokai or Greco usually wont get you comparable accuracy and woods that you will find on the Burny RLC-60's.

Likewise for RLG-60's, Burny's '59 mid-level model... great value.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I've recently been kind of infatuated with Tokai, for whatever reason.

Haven't researched specs or pricing yet, but look at the sick top on this one that's on Ebay right now:

:wow::wow::naughty::thumb:

GammyBird

Reaction score
Orville are great guitars. Values are climbing on these as well.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've recently been kind of infatuated with Tokai, for whatever reason.

Haven't researched specs or pricing yet, but look at the sick top on this one that's on Ebay right now:

:wow::wow::naughty::thumb:
Looks like an LS160 (last year's LS150).
Here are the specs.

BODY : Maple Two Pieces Top
: Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK : Mahogany One Piece
Set-Neck Deep Joint
Head Angle 18°
FINGERBOARD : Rosewood
RADIUS : 300R
FRETS : 22F ♯213
SCALE : 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE : HLS-VB(Brass Saddle)Bridge
HLS-VT Aluminum TailPiece
TUNERS : Gotoh SD90-SL
NUT(width) : Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY : Dish(Amber Cell)
PICKUPS : PAF-Vintage MK2×2(Made In Japan)
CONTROLS : 2V.,2T.,
3way Toggle SW
POT : CTS
SWITCH : Switchcraft
CONDENSER : Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS : Switchcraft
FINISH : Lacquer Finish
COLOR : CS,VF,BS,GT

El_Greco

Reaction score
I own all three makers and man, it is so hard to say! If I had to choose, on the spot at this moment, I would choose my Greco Super Real Custom over my Burny's and Tokai's but that could change a week from now lol

Let me know when it does change, I would kill for that custom :D
Seriously I would. I will find out where you live.

Frails

Reaction score
My vote goes to Greco. My 89' Greco has more feel than any guitar I've ever owned. The Tokai's I own/have owned are very nice but the Greco feels...how do I describe it...almost like the same guy made it from start to finish and really bonded with it, taking a lot of pride in it's creation. That sounds a bit silly but that's the only way to describe it.

My second choice would be a Burny for the 80's. Some of the nicest looking Japanese guitars I've seen are from that period. Good luck in your search.

milkjam

Reaction score
i recently got a tokai ls95s.
for best model only you know what you want.i couldn`t go the extra for a ls160 or whatever.but to me the ls90 somethings have everything i need.i went with the p90 version because i felt that`s the one for me,and i tried quite a few.i liked the look,feel and sound.as for best year,well i would say there`s nothing wrong with a new one!

Eagle X

Reaction score
Not intended to bump an old thread...

Just cannot help but saying the best Greco in my mind is 1977 Project Series EG1200

i259123147595277.jpg

Looks even better than its sister 1977 Project Series EG1500

Unforunately I don't expect to get one under A$2000.

Last edited:

zeneffect

Reaction score
Partial to super real myself as well. Only have an egf850 though... the right 1200+ would hit the spot for me if it has the same neck shape.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head on over to the other single cuts classifieds. Always something good over there.

Latest Threads