Best things to do in LA / best guitar stores

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Voltage guitars is still around but I’ve bought some gear from them several years ago

I think it was Johnny guitar or Johnny’s guitar had some killer amps,!quite a few old Parks and some celebrity owned pieces including guitars
Voltage no longer has a storefront , but Lloyd still sells some killer pieces from home.
I bought a few vintage gibbys from him.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow man you guys are scaring me lol

Don't listen to those magpies.

I grew up on the beaches south of LA.

A few good guitar stores in Hollywood, Guitar Center there being the best.

It used to be better before they remodeled.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Additionally -- and I know this will get slammed, but here goes anyway -- while maybe not "very affordable" and more pricey than it used to be, Disneyland is a lot of fun (two days if you can muster it).

You're not going to get slammed. I grew up a half-hour from Disneyland.

It is a lot of fun. But yeah, it's pricey.

TrackerDan

Reaction score
That’s pretty much all of LA these days.

Don’t wear an expensive watch or jewelry.

And watch where you step.

But if you go to Norms, tell him I said hello. He’s an old friend.
You might want to call Norm's first he might be open only certain days a week. He was ill for awhile not that long ago.

JTM45

Reaction score
Voltage no longer has a storefront , but Lloyd still sells some killer pieces from home.
I bought a few vintage gibbys from him.
Great guy man, I bought a couple Customs from him over the years and he’s always been top notch

six-string

Reaction score
drive straight into Compton and see all the N.W.A. sights!

redking

Reaction score
You could try going to Dave Friedman's shop (not sure if they are open to the public) and you might run into some big names coming in and out of there to pick up their rigs and whatnot.

Cinegoat

Reaction score
One of the big negatives to be prepared for is the heavy traffic EVERYWHERE, especially around Hollywood, LA, and Anaheim. It is hard getting around anywhere quickly except from 2-3am (LOL), and it is especially bad during mornings and afternoons, so just be mentally prepared for that. An awesome and very affordable thing to do is deep-sea fishing (or whale watching if you don't want to fish). I took my sons, and it was an amazing experience and very affordable. Highly recommended. Also, just driving on the PCH (aka, hwy 1) is awesome too, and that is free.

Additionally -- and I know this will get slammed, but here goes anyway -- while maybe not "very affordable" and more pricey than it used to be, Disneyland is a lot of fun (two days if you can muster it). The trick to Disneyland is having breakfast before you go, and leave the park early afternoon to go eat OUTSIDE the park along with taking a good break, and then go back to the park until it closes. By cutting out the park food, that saves ALOT of money, and you eat much better food. Also Knotts Berry Farm is a GREAT amusement park, too, and significantly cheaper than "the mouse house".

In-N-Out is now as far east as Colorado, I believe, so it is not as hidden as it used to be decades ago. But if you have not had In-N-Out hamburgers, you are in for a treat. That is a must-do.

Link to Deep Sea Fishing and Whale Watching
Disneyland is great. It's definitely worth a day and the price of admission. Just be a kid, and have fun.

nadzab

Reaction score
I don't want to diminish the precautions here - they're warranted to an extent - but good grief, if you're a grown-up, you stay aware of your surroundings and don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. LA is one of the world's great cities, and common sense and appropriate caution are needed when visiting any of those...doesn't mean they should be avoided.

Santa Monica is cool, and Malibu is close and gives you a little taste of driving the PCH (worth going a little further up for some nice vistas). We went to Malibu a couple times when we were out there last fall and didn't feel any animosity as outsiders - but we just hit some restaurants and did some shopping there.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drive up Malibu canyon road and hit Mulholland and go west through the twisties! Hope you have a fun rental car, and can enjoy LA’s racetrack!

Torshalla

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think we ll have a great time, we ll defo try the food places you recommended and drive through the canyons north of Hollywood and Santa Monica…
We ll stay away from downtown areas haha
We ll spend a day in hollywood and when evening comes we ll do a pub crawl through the rocks bars haha hopefully they stay open until traffic clears lol

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't miss the Hollywood walk of fame. You may have to hop-scotch around the turds though.

Cinegoat

Reaction score
I don't want to diminish the precautions here - they're warranted to an extent - but good grief, if you're a grown-up, you stay aware of your surroundings and don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. LA is one of the world's great cities, and common sense and appropriate caution are needed when visiting any of those...doesn't mean they should be avoided.
Thank you for this. All great cities have their rough spots and fair share of danger. But they shouldn’t be avoided for that reason. And being aware is 99% of the battle.

You might have lucked out - weather is just starting to cool off this week and it’s pretty gorgeous for a native CA guy. I don’t dig the 90+ heat and sun 24/7. On the occasional beach day it’s great. But not all the time. That being said, I get pretty jaded and abruptly reminded how nice it is everytime I leave the state.

LA is magical. It’s such a beautiful contradiction. City in the desert, which deserves not to exist but does. You can’t love LA until you hate it. I know how that sounds but it’s true.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pink's in 'wood is a must. Go during the week; the tourists go on weekends.

Yamashiro on top of the hill in 'wood. Tremendous view and great food.

Magic Castle in 'wood. Find a magician and get a guest pass.

Nobu in Malibu. Then drive up the PCH for a sunset.

Rodeo Drive to watch the plastic assholes and tourists go shopping.

Drive along Topanga Canyon from the Vally to Malibu.

Drive along Laurel Canyon from the Valley to the beach.

nadzab

Reaction score
You might have lucked out - weather is just starting to cool off this week and it’s pretty gorgeous for a native CA guy. I don’t dig the 90+ heat and sun 24/7. On the occasional beach day it’s great. But not all the time. That being said, I get pretty jaded and abruptly reminded how nice it is everytime I leave the state.

Yeah we had great weather last year...spent a couple/few days each in Huntington Beach, Santa Monica and Santa Barbara. Weather was fantastic during the day and nice for visiting the beach, but it would get cool at night.

We were in San Diego back in 2016 and took the Surfliner up to LA for a day trip and it was HOT...high nineties if it didn't hit 100+. That was late September.

Being New Englanders, we do love the CA weather when we visit.

Latest Threads