Best strap locks without drilling?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't bear the thought of drilling into my new Honeyburst Traditional. Can someone recommend me a good set of strap locks that doesn't require alterations to my guitar? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Dunlop Ergo strap locks, but I'd like to know what options are out there and what the best might be.

claricSTi

Reaction score
I put Schaller's on my Standard without any modifications at all. I was even able to use the gibson screws, took about 2 minutes.

I know there are quite a few others that use Schaller's as well, I would suggest going that route.

Mike-t

Reaction score
Schallers are great! The supplied screws are just a touch too small (they work but...) so I broke a toothpick in half, slathered it in in wood glue, stuck it in the hole, let it dry and then screwed in the screw. Now I don't have to worry about anything.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I knew you guys would recommend Schallers! But does anyone have experience with strap locks that can be used without any modifications? Just curious...

Mike-t

Reaction score
I knew you guys would recommend Schallers! But does anyone have experience with strap locks that can be used without any modifications? Just curious...

They would hold without the glue, I just like to be extra careful...

claricSTi

Reaction score
I used my Schaller's without any modifications. Some can use the stock screws, others use the toothpick for added support.

Is installing a toothpick that big of a deal? You can't see it and as far as selling goes, I would think straplocks would be a plus. Either way buy some soon.

Juan A. Pearly

Reaction score
I just put Dunlop Nickel Dual Straplok's into my baby... no problems. They work great, and have not failed me yet.

I didn't really want to add any non stock parts to my guitar, but these ones don't look too bad either.

Atomic

Reaction score
what i would like to know is: who told you that you need to drill into your guitar to install strap locks?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, give me a break! Put Schallers on the guitar and be done with it. Using a different screw isn't a reasonable thing to be afraid of - and if you are, you can surely dremel down the edges on the stock screws and use them.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is silly! Why use a subpar lock at the expense of damage to your guitar just to prevent the use of a different screw? Cracked headstock or non-original screws... :hmm: I'll take the Schallers.

The plastic Dunlop clips are total pieces of garbage - I hope no one suggests them - and if they do, don't use them. They fall apart - I went that route, total crap.

Any method which would require you to leave the strap on the guitar is also a bad idea.

Also - the Schallers keep the strap itself from touching the guitar body - so you won't get those circular pivot scuffs around the strap button like you will with a regular old strap and ANY other method which doesn't require you to change the buttons. Much more cosmetic damage than a different screw IMO.

I've got 1960's Gibsons, Fenders, and a Guild - ALL of them have Schaller buttons. My concern is with the strap staying on the guitar - not with invisible "damage" caused by a slightly different thread pattern inside of a strap button hole. :cool:

danzego

Reaction score
I installed Schaller's on my VM a couple of weeks ago. I tried the stock Gibson screws, but the head of the screw sat too high in the strap button for the lock to go on. Thankfully, the Schaller screws worked just fine. :)

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I would never use anything but Schallers... Everyone else can get bent. :laugh2:

BMS

Reaction score
zakk-woods.jpg

moff40

Reaction score
Schallers. No mods, no fuss. The stock screws have worked fine in all of my guitars.

tnvnl

Reaction score
I also use Schallers, and use the original Gibson screws. On the tail button, the original Gibson screw is to large of diameter to fit the Schaller button, so I drill the the button to accept the screw, then grind the diameter of the screw head to fit down inside the button and all is well.

6stringer

Reaction score
i also use schallers, and use the original gibson screws. On the tail button, the original gibson screw is to large of diameter to fit the schaller button, so i drill the the button to accept the screw, then grind the diameter of the screw head to fit down inside the button and all is well.

+1

eda123

Reaction score
Dunlops work great for me- no "plastic clips" as someone referred to above. all metal, stock screws worked fine for me.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
schaller. sometimes fix the screw; usually a toothpick. toothpick has never prevented me from putting a gibson screw back in, if for some reason somebody wanted to downgrade.

!Dv

Reaction score
I think the trick with attaching a strap to a guitar is to take the button off the guitar and attach the strap via the underside of it. Providing you use a decent, thick strap (personally, I don't use anything that isn't leather), the material around the button hole should be sturdy enough to hold the strap firmly in place for years. Does with mine.

For a cheap alternative to retail strap locks, I find a metallic washer that's just wide enough to fit around the inner part of the button and too small to fit over the outer part also does the job nicely. It does basically the same thing as a Schaller, but costs about 10p.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A big advantage of the schaller lock (and some others) is of course you can readily take the strap off.

There's certainly no drilling involved with a schaller installation.

also, they are cheaper when purchased as the fender brand.

Latest Threads