Best solo boost pedal for les pauls and marshalls??!!

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
I highly recommend that you check out the Freekish Blues Betty BOOst. This pedal sounds awesome with my R9 thru Reinhardt MI-6.

Hm, you mean... just like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqJJ5c6QNkQ]YouTube - Marshall Plexi w/ Freekish Blues Betty Boost 70s 80s tones AC/DC Joe Walsh[/ame]

...and this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDs94pg5nNU&feature=related]YouTube - Eddie Van Halen Brown Sound Marshall Plexi Pedal[/ame]

:naughty:

Jody

Reaction score
I sometimes use a mxr distortion+ as a boost.. Its labeled as a distortion pedal but it is a great overdrive when you dont overdo it... I only turn the level control to 12 o'clock and distortion 10 o'clock
:applause:
I use a Distortion III into my 100 watt JCM 900 MK III... works fine for me..

Lampens

Reaction score
That betty boost doesn't sound half bad through that amp.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a 2204 too. If you have a SD-1 around, give it a try, roll the gain just about right off, let it volume boost.

Staple maker

Reaction score
I Think that it depends on the sound your trying to achieve. If you were using your ts9 going into the front of the amp that is overdriven, then your wont get much of a boost. You will run the amp harder and get some volume, but mostly just drive the amp into more distortion. You know how when you run your amp clean and turn on a boost it screams, then using your overdrive channel its not that noticeable? If you are looking for a clean boost, meaning your tone just louder, then run the boost through the effects loop. that way its more or less going to the speakers not the amp. I hope that makes sense.

Also I would recommend the Keeley katana! It works as a transparent clean boost or your can boost with natural overdrive. and its easy to roll up and down with your foot because of the design.

So for more drive and a little boost run it in the front of the amp. For more volume and the unchanged tone, run it through the effects loop.

Thats how I do it anyway.

goatbreath

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on what Music I'm playing..

Blues and alike-Tubescreamer

Classic rock-Boss SD1

More Aggressive stuff-the Pro Co Rat.

They seem the most consistently used..If you can afford it it's worth getting a little collection of Overdrive/Distortion boxes as different ones seem better in different situations,,

I've got a wee collection.

Mouse

Reaction score
Fet(field-effect transistor) type clean booster and Rangemaster are wicked for 70's rock. first one is not changing your EQ at all but is pushing more the amp into natural overdrive. Rangemaster is colouring EQ alot, very seventies with almost like pentode preamp characteristics... at the meltdown think Mick Ronson with Bowie or early Sabbath

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
I like what I use, its pretty cheap too:

I don"t "get" pedals.

OR if you want a pedal to do just that get an EQ pedal. That's what David Gilmour does.

Staple maker

Reaction score
I like what I use, its pretty cheap too:

I don"t "get" pedals.

OR if you want a pedal to do just that get an EQ pedal. That's what David Gilmour does.
Well I think your the only one in the pedals thread that doesn't "get" pedals. Your volume knob isn't a boost. You loose tone rolling off your guitars volume and using your guitar all the way up as a lead boost. That's why you buy pedals so you sound good all the time :dude:

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
Well I think your the only one in the pedals thread that doesn't "get" pedals. Your volume knob isn't a boost. You loose tone rolling off your guitars volume and using your guitar all the way up as a lead boost. That's why you buy pedals so you sound good all the time :dude:
50's wiring=no roll off. I usually play with the volume on 7 adjust the amp to taste the put it on 10 for leads :D

Staple maker

Reaction score
Yeah I do that time to time, the only problem is if you want to play distorted but not play a lead. A volume knob is all you need for like blues, but in most rock you have to OVER-overdrive your amp to kick out a lead. Especially if your rhythm is overdriven too.

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
Yeah I do that time to time, the only problem is if you want to play distorted but not play a lead. A volume knob is all you need for like blues, but in most rock you have to OVER-overdrive your amp to kick out a lead. Especially if your rhythm is overdriven too.
But if you set up your amp/effects the same way you set them up on 7 as you do on 10, you can then roll up and get a good boost for your solo, that is if your amp and volume knobs are decent.

However, as volume knob fiddler, I'd still like to have a pedal for a solo boost because of the coloration that you can't really get with just diming the volume knob.

Staple maker

Reaction score
Yeah. I guess it's mostly coloration that people look for. That's why treble boosters and stuff are so popular. That way you can go past flat.

But I know what your saying. I've played before where rhythm would be volume back and a fatty daddy cap turning the tone back too. And adjust them accordingly when everything all the way up is "like" a boost.

El Toro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I suggest a true clone of the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Boost. I'll die clutching mine!

Sterling # Sound

Reaction score
I use a clean boost - it adds nothing except volume. It's a Creation Audio labs 4.23, works very well on my JTM-45. I tested quite extensively against other clean boosts and this was the quietest and most natural.

- MK.4.23

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The old Zoom Power Drive pedal has been called the poor man's Klon. Can be used for a nice clean boost with the gain set very low and the volume turned up, or for a Tubescreamer style overdrive. Has High end and Low end EQ section, so you can dial in more low end than a Tubescreamer. They have been discontinued, but they still pop up for sale very reasonably.

sidepartings26

Reaction score
The distortion + is overdrive. The RAT is distortion. So they are not THAT similar.

This is an absolutely awsome article by Gibson which goes into detail on the distortion +; RAT; and old and new tubescreamers. Plus really really handy in actually defining for a change the 3 categories (overdrive, distortion, and fuzz) in terms of what is happening to your signal. Effects Explained: Overdrive, Distortion, and Fuzz

I have a 1987x. Got the Webber Mass Lite on it. There are countless posts on here of me resisting it and moaning about having to get one :) but in the end they are awsome. No tone colouration and doesn't really take away 'volume' as such just 'force' i.e. what you can't hear that is killing your ears/those around you. The point is. Depending on what level you are running the 1987x at in particular (as opposed to the JCM) REALLY affects what type of gain pedal to stick into it (see article).

You might already know all this. If you're going for a boost I'd second the Zvex super hard on (and the Beano boost). But the Zvex imo has the coolest name for a pedal ever!

tele52

Reaction score
Try a boost, I'm using a Keeley Java boost for my Marshall. Like mentioned before, most OD's are too much for an already driven Marshall. Or a milder great sounding OD, try a Zen Drive. But for your rigs, I'd try a Treble Booster. Just buy one from a store with a good return policy.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPINNlRBWCg[/ame]

Some boosters, might be what you need.

Latest Threads