Best shop for refin/wood work for vintage guitars

red_house356

Reaction score
The methodology and dedication to his craft is alluring. Top notch work for sure. Might have to send out a PM. :hmm:

I've gotten four quotes so far (cf restorations, Gruhn, Gibson, and Historic Makeovers). Everyone else has either declined or ignored my emaills/PMs.

I'm not opposed to shipping internationally, but I am curious about shipping a brazilian board. Is that an issue if I sending this for a repair?

Last edited:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely needs to be considered. If you were selling it, you would need to apply for a CITES Article 10 certificate. However there is probably another way for temporary export for getting work done. You would also need to work out how to avoid the luthier having to pay duty on the value of the guitar. CITES does not intend to stop the movement of articles containing Brazilian Rosewood that were manufactured before 1992, but it definitely intends to stop anyone profiting from cutting down any more mature Dalbergia Nigra trees.

red_house356

Reaction score
Ah yes, I think I saw something on Article 10 as a requirement for UK sales. So far, both shops in the UK have declined my inquiry due to being swamped with work as is. In the same thread, they mentioned that GM Vintage had someone just send the guitar stating it was going in for "repairs only; not for sale". It wasn't sent with any CITES paperwork. Assuming, I find someone willing to take on the job internationally, I will definitely follow up on proper shipping protocol.

red_house356

Reaction score
Here's a guy that seems to do a very nice goldtop refin! (IMO)

You got that right. That's about as good as you could possibly hope for.
Yeah, he said no lol. Not taking work currently. He more of a "weekend warrior" builder/repair guy. I guess I'm going with USA based shops.

Also if anyone is wondering why I'm still entertaining this, I attached some photos. The finish seems to lift and become pronounced. Seems like a flaw in the paint, but I'm not sure if it is. Its been unreasonably hot in L.A. as of late and I tend to sweat a lot. The finish has flaked/chipped off. I use to have an '96-97 AVRI Strat body that was gold and heavily played/worn. The gold would rub off that finish with playing and sweat. There's a crack coming from the bridge p90 to the stud post. Clive suspects the top has had some work done. Not too much of a big deal. I still got this cheaper than the '52 husk was completely stripped with no parts that sold on Reverb 2-3 months ago. The guitars sounds and plays well too. Still cosmetic in nature, but I would prefer a finish that ages properly.

20201018_152010.jpg

20201018_152032.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads