Best shop for refin/wood work for vintage guitars

cherrick

Reaction score
I thought of Tony Nobles in Wimberley Texas. I don't know his schedule but his skills are great. I send all my work to my luther in Burleson, TX near Fort Worth and he could nail the gold top but does not relic.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. I did not know that Dan had passed. The man was my hero, painted my Norlin Lester Standard and was famous for his finish work and conversions. And everything else.
No, not Dan (I hope), but Terry Morgan here in the UK. Have a look at jwinger's "as supplied" and more recent photos. Terry spent a lot of time getting to understand 50's Gibson finishes, but had a particular love of the gold ones. His finishes weren't without compromise, the only way to get that is to paint the guitars 60 years ago and let them have a life, but over the years he carried on learning and refining. I saw a few of his refinishes and restorations over the last 12 years. Every one of them was jaw-dropping, but none more than his Gold Tops.

Liam

red_house356

Reaction score
So I've heard back from two shops, looking at $1325-$1900. Which is better than expected really. Refrets are expensive lol. I'm use to my luthiers prices haha. Reached out to another shop today. Waiting on two more to reply.

On the pending purchase front: May pickup as soon as Wednesday.

red_house356

Reaction score
No doubt. I'm going to wait until the frets give out at least. Early 2021 is when I'll be able to set cash aside for refin/fretwork.

DBDM

Reaction score
I, personally am partial to Gruhn guitars. I know for a fact that they use the correct lacquers and finishes (I have seen the shop). Museums use Gruhn's for their guitars. Gibson frequently consults with Gruhn's (that is where the Gruhn Burst came from). My second choice (1B) would be the Gibson Repair shop. The reason that would be 1B is because they are SO busy that it can take a long time. I know there are others but consider resale some day? Would you rather buy a guitar refinished (with full documentation) at Gruhn's (or Gibson?) or a guitar refinished by someone else? This is NOT intended to imply that there are not others who can do a great job--there ARE. But look at the other side (the future buyer). If I had a choice between two seemingly identical guitars, one refinished by Gruhn's (or Gibson) vs a really great job by someone I had never heard of, I'm buing the known commodity. Kicker is the prices are very competitive (ish) with nearly anywhere.

mgdesigns

Reaction score
Gruhn's, I have met him, and toured his old shop. He is the real deal.

PGguy

Reaction score
No doubt. I'm going to wait until the frets give out at least. Early 2021 is when I'll be able to set cash aside for refin/fretwork.
Just buy this and send it to Historic Makeovers, do the Goldtop repaint Standard package, already set for mods by RS Guitarworks, looks like real black buytate rings as well, it is one of the pre historics old wood and has the correct humbucker spacing. Kim does have the correct formula for goldtops and had the correct powder mix for green oxidation, could be a clone for GI Les Paul in black,

landguitar

Reaction score
Awesome score, good luck whatever you decide to do. I’m not a collector but if you Could get Gibson to work on it...
Sounds like you don’t have it yet, but really curious about weight and neck size.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Guitar Garage USA in Boston/Hyde Park Massachusetts
Specializes in replicating early Gibson and Fender finishes.

red_house356

Reaction score
Awesome score, good luck whatever you decide to do. I’m not a collector but if you Could get Gibson to work on it...
Sounds like you don’t have it yet, but really curious about weight and neck size.
I'm going to tomorrow out to check/play it and see if she's coming home or not. Will post pics by this time tomorrow.

I hadn't asked for specific measurements on the neck, but I'll be taking my black light and calipers to see. The guitar weights 8.6 lbs which is lighter than a R8 and early '69 Les Paul I've owned in the past.

cortland1977

Reaction score
I am a big fan of historic makeovers. have three of their guitars, one that I sent and 2 that I purchased that way. They do great work.

TrackerDan

Reaction score
I have a pending purchase for a '53 Goldtop. It has a top refin, but the back/headstock remain original (w/ serial number). No breaks. Some non original parts to include the bridge p'up, wraparound, tuners, and knobs (seller is unsure). I was able to negotiate to a fair deal for us while saving $$$$ on the asking price. Local cash pickup is king.

Anyhow, if down the road I decide to refin the top (Goldtop), what shop/company would you guys recommend? I'll more than likely make my choice when it needs a refret. Still has original frets/nibs, playable, but low. Not sure if the angle of the wraparound needs adjustment or not. Should be seeing the guitar in person next week. She looks well played from the back, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I do know Kim at HM is an option. CF Restorations. Shame Yuuki at PlayerGrade Vintage is over the pond, wouldn't hesitate to send it to him (for a Goldtop, not conversion). Just trying to do the guitar some justice. Unfortunately, these early '52-53s get scrapped for conversions.

View attachment 482752

View attachment 482759

View attachment 482760
Hidden Valley Guitar Works, Nevada City Ca. if your on the West coast.

HIDDEN

Reaction score
That is 100% factually incorrect. I know of no one who is using the correct lacquer.

The HM Goldtop (color was fine) they sprayed for me, had about the most stupid looking checking as could possibly be.

Got an explanation for that?

I do, wrong stuff.
So very true! The way HM lacker checks is nowhere near how it’s supposed to be. Vertical lines and circular cracks is just plain absurd

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just buy this and send it to Historic Makeovers, do the Goldtop

Kim does have the correct formula for goldtops and had the correct powder mix for green oxidation,

His color is fantastic....but his lacquer is absolutely WRONG! Period.

The '57 Goldtop Historic Makeovers did for me has already been refinished AGAIN!

Latest Threads