best Seymour Duncan Bridge pup for PAF tone

JLH

Reaction score
Seth Lover, 59, Alnico 2,Pearly Gates ???? How many of you guys have experience with these pups and or have a great sounding SD bridge pickup for that old school, 59 Les Paul PAF tone/ vibe. Whats the best Seymour Duncan pickup to achieve this?

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I have them all and can say without a doubt....'59! The Seth was a little too "innocent" for me. What I mean by that is it seemed to lack the balls the '59 had! :laugh2: The AII and the PG's are great, but not true PAF tone IMO. The PG is a PAF on steroids and the Alnico 2 is a different animal altogether, again IMO. '59 all the way! :)

LtKojak

Reaction score
Seth Lover, 59, Alnico 2,Pearly Gates ???? How many of you guys have experience with these pups and or have a great sounding SD bridge pickup for that old school, 59 Les Paul PAF tone/ vibe. Whats the best Seymour Duncan pickup to achieve this?

As a standalone product, my favorite is the Antiquity bridge, followed by the Seth.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the Pearly Gates either.

What p'up do you have in the neck? That's what will decide what to choose, in my book.

So many p'ups, so little time, uh...?

Diocletian

Reaction score
I like the A2Pro best but the DiMarzio PAF (DP103) is also fantastic.

joebonsai

Reaction score
I've first had at a SH-5 in my Edwards JPP, which is far too hot, followed by an Antiquity set, which is was real lovely vintage tone. Now I am using Pearly Gates bridge pickups in BOTH position, because I like it a bit hotter.
But IMO for a 'real' PAF vintage tone the Antiquity is the nearest.
but it can't be really desrcibed what IS a PAF tone. Those pickups went from under 7.0 kOhm up to 9.0(or even more)kOhm

:hippie:

Eggman

Reaction score
Howdy,

The '59 is a good bridge P/U; especially if you need more treble.

Latest Threads