Best replacement buckers for LP?

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
I’m looking for something with vintage tone, I mostly want something with a classic rock/hard rock/blues rock tone profile. I have done some research, and the SD Antiquities seem like a good fit, I like the fact that they have modern wiring for coilsplitting. I would probably replace the stock magnets with A4s in both positions.
SD Pearly Gates look pretty good too. For something more traditional, Fralin Pure PAFs sound great, but I wouldn’t be able to coilsplit without modifications.
Does anyone else have any suggestions? I’m hoping to keep the cost around $300 for the pair but could go higher if there’s some compelling reason to do so.
Thanks in advance!

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
I’m looking for something with vintage tone, I mostly want something with a classic rock/hard rock/blues rock tone profile. I have done some research, and the SD Antiquities seem like a good fit, I like the fact that they have modern wiring for coilsplitting. I would probably replace the stock magnets with A4s in both positions.
SD Pearly Gates look pretty good too. For something more traditional, Fralin Pure PAFs sound great, but I wouldn’t be able to coilsplit without modifications.
Does anyone else have any suggestions? I’m hoping to keep the cost around $300 for the pair but could go higher if there’s some compelling reason to do so.
Thanks in advance!

Pappy35

Reaction score
You need to post this kind of question in the Tonefreaks/Pickups section. Are you putting these in a Custom Shop LP? If so, what model?

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
You need to post this kind of question in the Tonefreaks/Pickups section. Are you putting these in a Custom Shop LP? If so, what model?
Thanks, I’m new here, didn’t know if this was the right spot. But yeah, I’ve been discussing a M2M Custom Shop guitar with an authorized dealer, and this is one of the few things I haven’t been able to settle on. I was looking at a) either the current version of the Ebony LP Custom as a base, or b) the ‘68 reissue, with some fairly significant modifications to the neck profile and bridge/tailpiece hardware.

Last edited:

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Lots and lots and lots of options. I highly recommend looking beyond just SD products (not that they aren't good, but there’s MANY more options).

Some that I have had great experiences with:

Bare Knuckle Mules (lots of great BKP options)
Brandonwound 59 Clones
MojoTone 59 Clones
Vineham Wishkey Burner (for a bit hotter PAF sound)
RS Guitarworks/Lindy Fralin True 60s (definitely more than $300, but very vintage sounding)
And the list goes on... point is, there’s way more options than just SD.

But, it is important to note that a pickup and a guitar need to be complimentary. What works in one guitar (pickup-wise) may not be great in another. To optimize any guitar (via a pickup change) is a very much a trial and error exercise.

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
Lots and lots and lots of options. I highly recommend looking beyond just SD products (not that they aren't good, but there’s MANY more options).

Some that I have had great experiences with:

Bare Knuckle Mules (lots of great BKP options)
Brandonwound 59 Clones
MojoTone 59 Clones
Vineham Wishkey Burner (for a bit hotter PAF sound)
RS Guitarworks/Lindy Fralin True 60s (definitely more than $300, but very vintage sounding)
And the list goes on... point is, there’s way more options than just SD.

But, it is important to note that a pickup and a guitar need to be complimentary. What works in one guitar (pickup-wise) may not be great in another. To optimize any guitar (via a pickup change) is a very much a trial and error exercise.
cool, lots to investigate, thank you. I don’t see the Fralin True 60’s on their website. Do these go by another name now?
Another brand I’m considering is Lollar. The high wind Imperials look like they might fit the bill here.

Pappy35

Reaction score
I really like the SD Seth Lovers. I bought them for an Epi but I have a new USA 50's with Wildwood's "Tribute" humbuckers. I'll put the SDs in the new guitar if I don't like the "Tribute." When I upgraded the Epi, I considered many of the others you listed but didn't feel the extra cost was justified.

Do you play at really high levels? That would help you decide between potted vs. unpotted options.

SingleCutFan

Reaction score
Do you play at really high levels? That would help you decide between potted vs. unpotted options.
Not often, no. Generally low to medium volume.
I honestly don’t really understand the difference between potted/unpotted. I’ve always been more of a player than a tinkerer, but I’ve started getting down into the weeds for the past month or so while I work on spec’ing a custom build. I’ve learned a lot, but haven’t really gotten into the minutiae of wiring and potting just yet. I’d love to get educated on it, though.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
cool, lots to investigate, thank you. I don’t see the Fralin True 60’s on their website. Do these go by another name now?
Another brand I’m considering is Lollar. The high wind Imperials look like they might fit the bill here.
They are on the RS website. Wound by Fralin for RS.

LP1865

Reaction score
Try the Tonerider Rocksongs. They're lightly overwound, but clean up very well, and nail the rock, blues and even the metal tone. I just put a set in my Epi

Brek

Reaction score
i seen a few pickups with 4's in recently, whats the deal tonewise with them?

BDW60

Reaction score
i am not really a fan. If you want a very even, flat kind of response you might like them. They don’t squish like A2 and A3, they don’t have the bright snarl of A5. They sound too neutral for my taste. That said, it’s not like I‘ve had 20 sets of A4 pickups to judge. Limited sample size. All I know is, I liked the same pickups a lot more without A4s than I did with them.

Brek

Reaction score
i like my 3's in the custombuckers. I have 5's in my wizz paffs which are snarly as you say.

LP1865

Reaction score
From what I've heard, 4s have a good lower midrange, which gives them a lot of growl and grit. Maybe the OP wants that.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions above and do some searches. We've beat this horse a lot around here.

Last edited:

Latest Threads