Best pratice amp for a 12x12 room.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Anything 1 watt or less. You use it for practice, not anti-social behaviour.

RichBrew

My Micro Terror is good for the anti-social thing. It's not a 100 watt plexi, but it runs at full volume off a power inverter so it's perfect for serenading the loons at my family's lakefront cabin. :slash:

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would slightly modify your list to add a Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:50 VS the 5:25 on your list.
I just like the tone from 6L6 tubes in the Express 5:50 better than EL84 tubes in the Express 5:25. Both amps go down to 5 watts and have nice real tube-spring reverb.
I also liked the great cleans, blues, and crunch modes on the 5:50 and I like the speaker in the 5:50 much better than the Vintage 30 in the 5:25.

Can't go wrong with either Express model, its all about tone preference, but both are well built and versatile amps.

Good luck with your amp quest.

d2_racing

Reaction score
What's the difference between an amp that has a builtin attenuator versus a power scalling amp ?

For example : Tone King Imperial 20th anniversary or a Carr Mercury versus

a Fargen Mini Plex MKII Combo or a Suhr Badge 18 ?

ARandall

Reaction score
If you're just practicing then anything small (< 15W). You can get a small 1 channel amp and use either a pedal for dirt or the volume control, or get something with more options like a Mesa Transatlantic.

Either way you should try and get dirt at low volume levels, which is what practice is all about.

Marshallow

Reaction score
Get a Vox Lil' Night Train and a good Marshall cab.
Anything non-master would be deafening, including a 1w.
Fargen Mini-Plex? Errrr, no. Costs a ton of money, it's HUGE and heavy, noisy, mine never worked properly. The power scaling had a mind of its own and the gain knob was anemic.

hrfdez

Reaction score
I have come to realize with amps Occam's Razor principle applies:laugh2:

d2_racing

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I don't know what to choose from :p

hrfdez

Reaction score
A Tone King is definitively NOT a practice amp:laugh2:

But, is that the one you want go for it. You already have a THR, that is a good practice amp.:thumb:

calvin1

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie Road King 2 with a 4x12 cab sounds great.Really fills up the room.

fretboarder

Reaction score
Cornell plexi 7's are very good..get one!!

ive had a few.. both 1x10 and two 1x12 my newest is a custom cornell plexi 7 its got added bass and treble controls..doubt id play anyone else's amps.

mikemac

Reaction score
TEX 5 Watt Bernie. Sounds so much bigger than any 5 watter I played. Great familiar but unique cleans and fantastic drive when pushed.
Also any pedal I threw at it and asked for more.
Wish I still had it but life happens.

d2_racing

Reaction score
A Tone King is definitively NOT a practice amp:laugh2:

But, is that the one you want go for it. You already have a THR, that is a good practice amp.:thumb:

Yeah the THR10c is really a nice amp, but it's not a tube amp. I want something that I can play at a decent volume.

Maybe buying an low wattage head amp with a separate cab that include a speaker with a Sensitivityof 96db could do the trick.

I'm still searching :p

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
def consider the small lunchbox sized heads with a separate cab. Lots of choices, lots of variety. And with the external cab, you can take just the head with you to a friend's if they have a spare cab to plug into.

abracadaben

Reaction score
Marshall Class 5. The bomb for 5 watts. can't beat it. its a loud Class A 5 watts. roots. Awesome tone
new-marshall-class-fives-460-100-460-70.jpg