Best pratice amp for a 12x12 room.

d2_racing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to have your opinion on what is your favorite tube amp pratice amp for a little room 12x12.

Don't check the price tag.

Since it's a small room, I don't think that someone will post a full stack marshall amp setup :p

The amp must be good to accept pedals too.

I searched on the forum and I endup with that little list :

- Tone King Imperial 20th anniversary (attenuator)
- Tone King Sky King (attenuator)
- Suhr Badge 18 (power scalling)
- 65 amp Soho (power scalling)
- Carr Mercury (attenuator)
- Carr Rambler (28w to 14w switch)
- Marshall SL5 (5w to 1w switch)
- Fender Blues Junior III
- Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5.25

studio1087

Reaction score
What sort of music do you want to play in the small room?

I have about 15 amps in a 16 x 18 room. I have a Dr. Z Mini Z and it's my favorite amp to play in the room.

Mini Z Combo information link

I'm just playing some simple stuff here.

http://youtu.be/1Bcms5qk_9I?list=UUV0-_zD_YOeehpR-qKMYgOg

5 watts - everything is point to point (hand wired) with EL84 Power and GT-12AX7M preamp. It has a volume knob and a 5 position attenuator knob. It's so simple and it sounds so good (clean or dirty). The combo is about $1000.

Bliss....

e_zps7a6d53bc.jpg

d_zps8b9b0121.jpg

bwt42

Reaction score
I agree with super lead or quit, once you crank a tube amp theres no going back. Tell your fam/neighbors its time to rock!
Fender champs are sweet also

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
My most fun practice amp is a 2w Fender Greta with a Sovtek 5751 in V1 and Sovtek 12AT7 in V2.

I use it as a head on top of two Egnater Rebel 1x12 cabs.

I'm also really enjoying my Vox Lil Night Train paired with those cabs.

If I'm doing serious techique practice, however, my Rebel 20 head is better because it has the headroom to give me pristine cleans so my playing mistakes are glaringly obvious.

Otto tune

Reaction score
Where is it written that small power deserve few controls?

I'd vote for the Marshall SL-5 or the H&K Tubemeister 18 (which I have) or a Blues Jr. depending on your style.

Why pay big bucks for a "volume" and "tone" head? I don't care who's name is on it.

siore

Reaction score
Where is it written that small power deserve few controls?

I'd vote for the Marshall SL-5 or the H&K Tubemeister 18 (which I have) or a Blues Jr. depending on your style.

Why pay big bucks for a "volume" and "tone" head? I don't care who's name is on it.

Because it forces you to work with your guitar controls more. Less fiddling with the amp. Play more music and get your chops right.

Both can be fun, though, and I also have a small 5watt amp with channel switching, EQ and effects loop. But a small amp with just volume and tone has it's own charms.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been immensely enjoying my Peavey Valveking II 20w/5w/1w Micro Head

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Vox AC or Night train.
Peavey Classic 20/30/50
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe / Deville and friends.
Bluesbreaker.

Otto tune

Reaction score
But a small amp with just volume and tone has it's own charms.
Not at boutique prices. IMO.
A Ferrari has charm, and maybe a Smart has charm, but I wouldn't pay for a Ferrari and settle for a Smart, and figure, "It teaches me to be a better driver, 'cause it rolls over so easily."

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Anything 5 watts and under should work just cherry.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh this is so easy it's not funny. The 50 anniversary Marshall JVM1 head with a Avartar 1 12 cabinet. Two channels of awesome. Cleans you won't believe and gain out the ass. To your "takes pedals well" requirement it has an effects loop.

20140811_182347_zps5xsf9mcw.jpg

I played mine through a Marshall JVM212c cabinet and could not turn it all the way up. It was too freaking loud... And yeah, it's 1 watt.

RichBrew

Reaction score
Anything 1 watt or less. You use it for practice, not anti-social behaviour.

RichBrew

eaglewolf

Reaction score
A Ferrari has charm, and maybe a Smart has charm, but I wouldn't pay for a Ferrari and settle for a Smart, and figure, "It teaches me to be a better driver, 'cause it rolls over so easily."

A stripped down Ferrari that still performed well would be pretty awesome - and expensive! I'm not sure how the Smart car reference applies to a high quality but simple build though.

I don't really look at the cost per knob when I buy an amp if it has the tone I like. I guess it just depends on what you want out of an amp. I have both simple (JTM-1) and complex (Mesa TA-15) amps, and either can put a smile on my face.

If you only can have one amp though, more controls can give you more tonal options. However, I suspect the quality of materials, expertise of the builder, and the cost of labor has more to do with the final cost of the amp than whether or not it has a few extra knobs.

David

siore

Reaction score

Not arguing the price point. There is a market for that if someone shells out his cash, there may be reasons, such as quality components, consistent build quality, handwiring,etc. But of your point of a low power amp should have more controls, the amount of knobs to twiddle is a preference thing. YMMV

Latest Threads