Best Polish for Nitro (and Poly?)

Pancreas

Reaction score
Hey guys & girls,
My OCD has been getting the best of me lately and was wondering what you all are using for a guitar polish? I've got a 2019 Gibson LP Traditional (Nitro, obviously) and a new Epi LP Custom Silverburst. Both of them are getting their fair share of pick scratches, as I have a heavy pick hand. Do you guys have a preferred polish you use to minimize little scratches like this?
Thanks!
20210605_163522_copy_1055x1754.jpg

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Meguiars stuff is pretty easy on nitro. The #9 polish works great at removing the little scratches and hi tech yellow carnuba to protect it. Also smells good too

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
+1 on the Gibson polish, and a shout out for Virtuoso 2 step cleaner and polish.

The cleaner will work wonders on the little scratches and then the polish works as well as the Gibson.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Gibson Polish. Easy and safe to use, and works well.

Hamtone

Reaction score
My favorite is Novus light scrach remover. I also have Virtuoso and all the Stew Mac ones.
Im a virtuoso fan myself.

My personal preference is to keep my auto recon/detailing stuff in the garage, and away from my guitars, although my high end carnuba wont hurt anything.

kewl kat

Reaction score

My personal preference is to keep my auto recon/detailing stuff in the garage, and away from my guitars, although my high end carnuba wont hurt anything.
You are a wise man. A couple squirts and a couple rubs and then its too late.

I also use Virtuoso with great success, both as a polish and on small surface scratches (fingernail type).

KelvinS1965

Reaction score

Any particular reason why? I use mine after I've sprayed nitro for the final buff, then finish with Gibson pump polish once I'm sure the nitro has hardened (and stopped smelling). I happen to use Menzerna brand, the finer grades on nitro since the coarser grades aren't needed except on very hard paints like Mercedes.

I'm careful not to use anything with silicon in it on my cars/guitars since it can make future paint jobs troublesome and silicon isn't great with electrics either.

I used my car detailing DA polisher after I'd sprayed this Strat body:
Assembled body (6).png

Hamtone

Reaction score
Any particular reason why? I use mine after I've sprayed nitro for the final buff, then finish with Gibson pump polish once I'm sure the nitro has hardened (and stopped smelling). I happen to use Menzerna brand, the finer grades on nitro since the coarser grades aren't needed except on very hard paints like Mercedes.

I'm careful not to use anything with silicon in it on my cars/guitars since it can make future paint jobs troublesome and silicon isn't great with electrics either.

I used my car detailing DA polisher after I'd sprayed this Strat body:
View attachment 551951
I am a big time recon/detail nerd, and have a lot of different polishes, compounds, etc etc.
Outside of carnuba I find everything else from car world tends to attract finger prints and or stickiness and are too aggressive IMO

The only time I used auto compound was on the neck of my 52 Tele. That sticky pos, was terrible. Poly changes with heat and doesn't take much.

Virtuoso works great by hand with a microfiber towel.

Post finishing would be the one caveat to help level it and clean it up, and just for that reason, is why I choose to stay with guitar polish/cleaner

moreles

Reaction score
I find that the Virtuoso cleaner and polish system really does work for whispery scratches and polishes back up to a nice luster. I rarely, rarely polish anything, since you can get things clean with a damp[ microfiber and don't need to be adding glop to your finish, but if something is really showing playwear, I will do the Virtuoso thing. Polishing may make things shiny, but it's not great for a finish. I hate wax, period, and it's terrible for guitars (acoustics, partticularly). The only wax I'll ever use is oil/wax compound for EB/MM necks -- once a year.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I polished my ebony ES-235 (nitro) and my MIJ Fender Anodyne bass (poly) with Gibson polish and they both look stunning.

bum

Reaction score
I honestly just use a slightly damp cloth then polish with a bit of kitchen roll :laugh2:
Always been intrigued by this topic though, I think I will try the Gibson stuff out, seems a lot of you like it :)

Hamtone

Reaction score
I honestly just use a slightly damp cloth then polish with a bit of kitchen roll :laugh2:
Always been intrigued by this topic though, I think I will try the Gibson stuff out, seems a lot of you like it :)
Skip the bounty.... Do not (imo) use pt on anything but household clean up.

bum

Reaction score
Skip the bounty.... Do not (imo) use pt on anything but household clean up.
We have this unscented stuff that is just pure paper, I wouldn't use anything with product / additives for sure man :)

Sinster

Reaction score
I use towels that is used on the avionics screen of aircraft. For the most part I just wipe it down with the towel being damp with water or diluted white vinegar depending on guitar. Once in a while I use some polish (forget the name)

Dogbreath

Reaction score
We have this unscented stuff that is just pure paper, I wouldn't use anything with product / additives for sure man :)
Paper towels are made from wood pulp that contains dust and sand that attaches to the wood during processing and when it’s laying on the ground. That’s why opticians always say never to clean your glasses with paper towels or tissues.

Latest Threads