Best Place To Buy An SG Junior?

omm

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an SG Junior and was wondering where to get the best service regarding set-up before shipping.
(Not interested in Sweetwater after reading bad reports of their supposed '55 point inspection.')
I contacted ZZounds, but they told me it was luck of the draw in what they would send me, which I thought was not a good option for me.
(They also used a stock image, which is not a good thing.)
I want to be able to see the actual guitar I would be buying.

peobryant

Reaction score
Wildwood Guitars is one of the best places to buy a guitar online. They have two SG Juniors in stock right now, they take pictures of the actual guitar and give information like weight and neck depth.

I've bought three guitars from them and every one arrived set up perfectly and absolutely flawless.

omm

Reaction score
Thanks - I did see that site and noticed they had 4 in stock a few weeks ago, 2 with nice grain, and 2 not-so-nice.
I now see there are only 2 left, and these are the one I'd rather pass on.
Looking for straight grain, or as much as possible.
(Maybe they can get another model on order for me?)

MagneticTape

Reaction score
Peobryant beat me to it. Wildwood is absolutely where you want to go. Call or email them and ask what they have on order - they get a lot of inventory revolving through.

I just bought a ww10 thin skin strat from them a few months ago. I ended up on the phone with them and they really went out of their way on the setup and answering questions and earned a customer for life. I talked to the owner for a good 10-15 minutes on the phone and I'll tell you, shops like that are a rare and vanishing breed. We should give them our support whenever possible because we all benefit from that kind of service being in the industry.

Also, I've noticed over the years that when you buy from a shop like theirs or some of the other similar dealers that have youtube channels and are active in the community, the manufacturers often send them their better stock.

smk506

Reaction score
I would reconsider sweetwater if they have one that you like. For the dozens of complaints about missed issues in their inspection, it’s important to realize we’re talking about a company that ships probably hundreds of guitars a day.

Plus as mentioned, there not much to correct if it needs a little tweaking.

omm

Reaction score
Something is wrong when you consistently come up first in any search that includes guitars, amps or keyboards.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Something is wrong when you consistently come up first in any search that includes guitars, amps or keyboards.
What you are saying is true, and the answer is one that doesn’t belong in this section. Aside from that, these two dealers have consistently provided great service to me. I’m sure there are other choices that are comparable.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Guitars will never come to your house setup for your environment.
They may have had a setup before being shipped out, but it will most likely be different when you get it.

omm

Reaction score
I know this too well - most of my guitars start out fine, then end up twisted after only a few weeks, as I live near the ocean.

omm

Reaction score
Heard back from Wildwood - it seems there is only 1 left, and it's not the one I want.
They say they get guitars in all the time, and to be on the lookout for more to be posted.
I guess this is the best I can do at this time (though I thought I would be able to order one and have my pick, but I guess that's not the way things are done.)

studio1087

Reaction score
I bought mine from Chicago Music Exchange and it arrived with an outstanding setup.

omm

Reaction score
Wildwoood added another one, but it's not to my liking.
Maybe the solution is to go the other way - crazy figure, instead of straight.
(SW is on backorder, must be a popular model.)

omm

Reaction score
Yes - crazy is nice, if somewhat symmetrical.

truckermde

Reaction score
So let me see if I got this right.

You want to choose the specific guitar you buy. Sweetwater does this.

You want some straight grain. Sweetwater has this.

You want a decent set-up, out of the box. Sweetwater does this, within reason. Set-up is purely subjective, but they check off a bunch of boxes, fairly objectively.

You don't want to use Sweetwater for some impropriety you ambiguously hint at, along with a perceived inadequacy in their set-up process.

As far as problems with the set-up, they have a great return policy if something is off. As far as the other problem, what gives?

EDIT: I see you mentioned SW has them on backorder. Hope you find a sweet one!!

You can have your sales-rep at Sweetwater keep an eye out for the straight grain you're after. Those guys will usually bend over backwards to try and get you what you want...

Last edited:

omm

Reaction score
Proving difficult to find at this time, so I'll take a rest.
Looking at an American Original Tele in blue, so I'll see how that goes.
Funny, the red was a contender, but those seem to be long gone for some reason.
(You snooze you lose, I guess.)

Latest Threads