Best place Online to buy a "GOOD" Gibson Custom Shop?

mafmmx

Reaction score
Hello All! I am in the market for "The One" i sold off a few of my guitars and want to buy myself that one, Awesome, Magically Gibson LPC

I am interested in either a '59 CS, Slash First Standard, A Gold Top or a 57 Custom

The problem? i live in the Chicago Suburbs and we dont have to many good pickings out here near me. We do have the famous Chicago Music Exchange which is usually the only place i buy my Gibsons from ( i have bought several pieces from them ) but i think i might be done with them. The guitars are usually filthy/dirty, Poor setups and just are not fun to play, I just expect a little more when playing/buying a 5k-10k guitar. We have a few other shops but none of them have anything that appeals to me at the moment during these times.

Anyways, My choices online are infinite but the problem is, In order to get "The One" you have to play them in person. With that said, What online retailers do you feel have the BEST selection of Gibsons that are hand picked and more than likely going to be "The One" when you receive it?

I know some places offer returns/exchanges but it gets expensive having to ship guitars back-n-fourth.

Could you guys recommend a online shop that usually has the best pick'ins Gibson has to offer?

At the moment i am looking at Wild West Guitars, I hear great things about them and they have a selection of some fine looking Gibsons that i hope could be "The One" I would purchase used from Reverb but its very hard to tell whats a Monday built guitar from Gibson or a Friday built guitar..

Thanks so much for your help!

ESchmidt

Reaction score
You could also take a trip to Sweetwater, if you are looking to buy new. It’s about 3 hours from Chicago. They will have tons in stock that you can A/B against each other.

mafmmx

Reaction score
You could also take a trip to Sweetwater, if you are looking to buy new. It’s about 3 hours from Chicago. They will have tons in stock that you can A/B against each other.
That is not a bad idea, I did that before with my Friedman but at the moment, They dont have anything is stock that catches my eye :(

crowemag82

Reaction score
CME have cool stuff but like the OP said....everything is filthy and not set up. Very disappointing most of the time.

I once bought an early Studio from them and the pictures were super misleading. The description said zero to no fret wear.....it should have said zero to no FRETS! They were beat to crap and barely anything left to work with.

After weeks of haggling they finally agreed to pay for a re-fret. Never ordered from them again. Very condescending and acted as if we (guitar players) owe them something.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist

• Guy : Hey, Lamarr. Is there any place around here with really good jazz?

Lamarr : [skeptical] Oh, you want good jazz? GOOD jazz? Lemme ask you a question. Who played cornet for Jacques St. Claire on "Vital Stats"?

Guy : Scotty MacDonald.

Lamarr : Get in the cab. GET in the CAB.

[to driver]

Lamarr : Take this young man to the Blue Spot.

Believe it or not The Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove SOMETIMEs has a decent selection, always has well cared for guitars/

Also try
The Music Gallery in Highland Park

If you can drive to Wisconsin

Dave's Guitar shop has both Custom Shop and Gibson USA , fairly large selection.

Cream City Muscic (just outside Milwaukee)

mafmmx

Reaction score
I couldn't resist

• Guy : Hey, Lamarr. Is there any place around here with really good jazz?

Lamarr : [skeptical] Oh, you want good jazz? GOOD jazz? Lemme ask you a question. Who played cornet for Jacques St. Claire on "Vital Stats"?

Guy : Scotty MacDonald.

Lamarr : Get in the cab. GET in the CAB.

[to driver]

Lamarr : Take this young man to the Blue Spot.

Believe it or not The Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove SOMETIMEs has a decent selection, always has well cared for guitars/

Also try
The Music Gallery in Highland Park

If you can drive to Wisconsin

Dave's Guitar shop has both Custom Shop and Gibson USA , fairly large selection.

Cream City Muscic (just outside Milwaukee)
I was going to drive down to Daves in WI but after speaking with them, They are not open to the public and not sure when they will be only online sales..

mafmmx

Reaction score
If you're content to order online without playing first, Mark's Guitar Loft has some of the most drool-worthy R9s on the market.
Checking out his site he does have some really nice looking LPs. I assume he is legit since he was mentioned here. Anyone have experience buying from him? The Cashers check or wire transfer kind of worry me.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Checking out his site he does have some really nice looking LPs. I assume he is legit since he was mentioned here. Anyone have experience buying from him? The Cashers check or wire transfer kind of worry me.
He is 100% legit. Many on here can attest (I believe he's also a registered vendor).

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have no affiliation to MGL, btw - I just visit his website frequently to lust over his guitars. Those two Vintage World R9s he has up right now are really magnificent.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I know it's covid land and all right now, but there's no way you'll find "the one" while internet shopping. You'll only get "pretty good" and that's if they have a good return policy.

You can pick the top, weight, and sort of the neck, but you'll never know what's actually out there until you go play them.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Drive down to Nashville if CME doesn't provide the service you like. Rumble Seat, Carters, Gruhn, etc. etc...

That's a guitar town! Dozens of amazing CS Les Paul's to be found. Those guys can just drive down the street and spec custom runs with hand picked tops.

fugazi20

Reaction score
Yes, definitely. Mark is top notch. A few years ago, I was looking for a specific model CS LP. Mark just happened to have one coming in. In short, excellent experience and I was able to get the LP that I was really looking for in an easy transaction. I have no affiliation, but definitely recommend him.

Granted, I was looking for a specific model, where you're looking for a certain R9, but has a certain feel or is the "one". I wouldn't hesitate to call him and talk to him about any guitars he has in stock and that may help improve the odds of finding the one. That's an alternate plan if you aren't able to go out and get your hands on a few in a shop or two at some of the locations others have mentioned. Good luck!

KBMelb

Reaction score
If Mark's doesn't have anything you are looking for, I say check out Sweetwater. I have yet to get a bad guitar from them.
I'm terrible about picking out a good guitar in person. I'm usually uncomfortable playing in guitar stores, I hate being that guy, I can't make adjustments to the set up, the amps and rooms are always different than what I hear at home so actually I've sold off the few I've bought in person and only have SW online purchased guitars in my posession.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Mark and only Mark. He actually told me not to buy a particular R7 because he didn't think it match the sound I described. Not many guys in sales would do that.

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark is the guy. He'll help you find the right one.

davidos

Reaction score
Mark's, Wildwood, Dave's, Sweetwater (for extended return policy)...

Barker

Reaction score
Mark's Guitar Loft. I've been to his "loft" many times, he's a wealth of knowledge and an honest guy. I have also purchased many items from him.

Latest Threads