Best Peter Green Humbucker Set

Zoso#1

Reaction score
looking for the closest set to Peters, been thinking about Seth Lovers,Seymour Duncan 59s,Bareknuckle PG set, Lollar low wind PG pickups. Any recommendations thanks

Thomas Madden

Reaction score
Many good pickup companies out now. I don’t know how their PG Blues humbuckers are but if they are anything like their single coiled Mother’s Milk Bare Knuckles are absolutely fantastic and won’t disappoint. Again many excellent builders out there these days.

EL-34

Reaction score
Dude, the SD custom shop has the Peter Green pickips

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I have a set of Bare Knuckle PG Blues on my Deluxe and I love 'em!

jwinger

Reaction score
Having played the real Peter green guitar for a good half day (not bullsh*tting here) I can say the shed supernaturals and both Pg blues do a damn good job. I haven't tried the OX4 or throbak. I would say however, that I really don't think they are A2 magnets in the originals...the bottom end was a bit too compressed and round in the stock bareknuckles. The original was drier. I ended up swapping the magnets for a4s in the Pg blues and was much happier. Originals if I had to guess were a4 or A5 but purely conjecture, who knows...

We did take readings on the originals but I can't remember what they were. I think they were in the 8s though, certainly on the bridge. I know Mark stow from ox4 probably has those original readings...I was with him when I got the very fortunate chance to play it.

In all my own guitars I have regular sets of pickups where I've just done a magnet flip. It's 95% the same but there is something a little sweeter around the middle position on the reverse wound sets, and the actual greenie had the sweetest out of phase sound of the bunch. If you wanna hear the magnet flip tone listen to snowy white...that's more what mine sound like...it's just slightly harder and slightly thinner sounding in my experience, which in many cases I actually like. anyway, I digress....

Last edited:

EL-34

Reaction score
No SD appreciation here? He wound Peter Green's pickups himself. And you're referencing other makes and models. Zero cred. Zero.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I have a set of Bareknuckle PG Blues waiting to get installed. Quite curious to how they sound! They're supposed to be very "vocal", whatever that might mean.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I don't know what it means myself, but I do know that to my ears, they sound very close. If I'm not mistaken, Gary Moore had Tim make him a set?

jlee

Reaction score
I’ll second the Throbak PG-102. I’ve had Shed, WB, Bare Knuckle, WCR and flipped a bunch of magnets. Haven’t looked back since getting the Throbaks. Will also depend on your guitar’s natural voice too.

Latest Threads