Best pedal tuner

RossingtonLP

Reaction score
Check out a Polytune, I was quite impressed with the one my mate bought recently, it's multi functional in that you can tune each string individualy or if you strum across all the strings it shows you which ones are out!

I have a Peterson Strobostomp which is good (tuning/intonation etc) if a little pricey!

Steve
i had the TU-2 then upgraded to the TU-3 - both very good

went for the TC Electronics about 2 months ago................

pretty good.............. but the "tune all 6 at once" mode is quite hard to see from a distance.......... but a great idea..............

works great as a tune one at once as well............ very visible!

cheeseflavor

Reaction score
I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200. If it ever gives up on me, I will buy another one of them...and another one...and another one. Point is, I love it. Very accurate.
+1 on the Turbo Tuner. I had a Polytune, and I couldn't see it well enough when it was mounted on my pedal board (astigmatism). It was just a blur. Even when I could see it, it didn't seem as accurate as the Turbo.

Steve

SrDeMaFp

Reaction score
Strobostomp for me but, I may be looking for something a bit less "intensive". I really don't need all of those features.

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I haven't any experience of the others, but I use the Polytune.

It tunes the guitar.

It mutes the signal.

It doesn't mess the tone up.

It does all that I would want a tuner to do, so I've got no reason to worry about if another tuner is "better" or not.

harperlewis.

Reaction score
i've used a few different tuners.
TC Polytune
Boss TU-2
Hardwire HT-2

but the good old Boss Chromatic tuners are by far the best and most reliable.
i currently use the Boss TU-3 and it's great.

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from the GFS, which looks like a bargain at $40- the other sleeper at about the same price is the Ibanez LU20. Cheap, good, allegedy TB, Ibanez. Ive been using one for a couple of years- better than the Boss signal sucker.

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
It does all that I would want a tuner to do, so I've got no reason to worry about if another tuner is "better" or not.
Yeah, I dont get this "better" thing. If you have time to tune to within .002%.....and as soon as pull the next bend, it doesnt matter anyway.

Does it respond quick, does it mute properly (some dont), does it (true) bypass. Thats all, i reckon.

Lowdown

Reaction score
Polytune. Just got it yesterday. Very impressed. Very responsive,fast and accurate. Built like a brick shithouse too. It's a keeper.

RC2

Reaction score
I've tried or used most of the tuners listed so far and really like the way the Sonic Research ST-200 tracks the best.

shaky

Reaction score
I use the Peterson Strobostomp. The guitar doesn't need tweaking by ear which is what I found I had to do with the Boss TU2.

Mattdive

Reaction score
Aside from the GFS, which looks like a bargain at $40- the other sleeper at about the same price is the Ibanez LU20. Cheap, good, allegedy TB, Ibanez. Ive been using one for a couple of years- better than the Boss signal sucker.
x2 on the Ibanez. Can't beat it for the money - and it's hard to beat even at higher prices. It's wide, so it does take up more space on a board, but it's easy to see, is simple, is very tough in construction, and tunes just fine. It claims to be True Bypass - and I haven't noticed anything in its performance to discredit that. It's just not there when not engaged!

Deftone

Reaction score
I haven't any experience of the others, but I use the Polytune.

It tunes the guitar.

It mutes the signal.

It doesn't mess the tone up.

+1. Well said. :applause:

nzo

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Pedal Tuner. Very accurate and durable.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
If best = most accurate the Turbo Tuner probably wins hands down.

The PolyTune looks coolest of them all while functioning, though.

hudpucker

Reaction score
If best = most accurate the Turbo Tuner probably wins hands down.

Yep.

+/- 3.00 cent: Boss TU-2, Planet Waves Chromatic Pedal Tuner PW-CT-04
+/- 1.00 cent: Digitech Hardwire HT-2, Boss TU-3, Korg Pitchblack
+/- 0.50 cent: T.C Electronics Polytune
+/- 0.10 cent: Peterson Strobostomp, Korg Pitchblack+, Planet Waves Tru Strobe Tuner
+/- 0.02 cent: Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Avocet

Reaction score
Now the next question.

If you already had a good bench strobe (say a Peterson VSII) would you still want something hyper accurate for your pedal?

I'm leaning towards getting one of those TC Polytuners. Who cares if it isn't a millionth of a cent accurate. Is it close enough for Government work? Seeing all six strings at once is something I think would be a good deal.

I'll still use the Peterson for bench intonation, but eh..

What do you think?

Latest Threads