Best P90 Gibson guitar?

ManicPete

Reaction score
I am GASing for a P90 Gibson. I am far from a P90 expert so I was wondering if the forum could help by offering their opinions on:

- Best P90 Gibson money no object
- Best bang for your buck P90 option
- Your ideal P90 Gibson and why?

Just interested to chat about this on a rainy Sunday evening here in lockdown in Central Europe!

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Money no object? I’d get a 50s LP junior..

bang for the buck would be the latest USA LP junior in the used market..

That’s if you like single cuts more. If not, the double cut counterparts would work.. DC LP or SG junior.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd love to have an original '54 Les Paul gold top, that would be the best for me :D but I'd settle for an R4 reissue.
Gibson has been releasing a fair number of P-90 models of late: SGs, LPs, Juniors and Specials, at all of their price points.

If it's mostly mahogany and has a P-90, you're good to go! Older, vintage ones will have P-90s with differing constructions, but I wouldn't let that stop me from having a newer one. I have an SG and LP Melody Maker with P-90s, and a cheap Squire that I installed a P-90 into. I like them all.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
The ones that I already have.
I prefer a stock single coil Gibson P-90 at the neck position for cleans and a hum-cancelling P-90 with stacked coils at the bridge for hi gain use.

The SG is the most ergonomic guitar with the best upper fret access that I have ever played.

Last edited:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Well ... my personal answer would be my 2005 Memphis 335 Dot Reissue (or whatever the model was called at the time!) retrofitted with BKP Nantucket’s ... but I guess that’s not hugely helpful.

Whilst I currently have a humbucker equipped SG, I’ve had 3 - maybe 4? - SGs previously which either came with P90s or so converted to P90s. Every single one sounded awesome so I would go SG Classic as a suggestion.

endial

Reaction score
Of the seven P-90 equipped guitars that I own, four of them are single pup Juniors. Two are double pup Special "type" models. One semi-hollow. If I may suggest, having a start with a single pup Junior would really get you in tune with the feel and breadth of the concept of what a P-90 is all about. They really show their true potential singularly, better than when doubled or paired with something else.

I assure you, I won't be alone in this.

Edit:
@flamesarewicked is spot on with a '50's Junior. (Money- no object)
Bang for Buck- Original Collection Junior.
Budget Junior would be the Tribute Junior.
Ideal one- ES-335 with P-90's because, well, ES-335 with P-90's.

Last edited:

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
All of my Gibsons have P90s except for the 54 which has the Alnico at the neck. My SG, and Special both have P90s, but my favorite is the 2011 Traditional with tapped P90s. Un-tapped they are 20% over-wound, while tapped they are back to the original (around 7K) wind. Personally, I think that was a brilliant idea by Gibson.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Well a les paul special or a 54 Goldtop would certainly be great choices.... But!
I would go against the current here and say Es 295!
Such a beautiful instrument that's been overshadowed by other more famous models.
So my choice would be a hollow body or semi-hollow body Gibson, because those models were initially designed to be voiced by P 90s.
Solid bodies came later.

NotScott

Reaction score
I would vote for an R5 because:

1) They came with the best neck profile ever offered by Gibson
2) You can get them setup with a wraptail or ABR
3) They were the best value of all R series Gibsons

Unfortunately, they are no longer offered but if you can find one used, go for it.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
ES5
Sleeper vintage deal...non-reverse Firebirds.
Thin mahogany, super resonant.
Amazing guitars that no guitar hero ever got associated with, so they're reasonably priced.

DrBGood

Reaction score
One thing you should know is you will never get the versatility of a twin P90 with a Jr. Yes a Jr is an incredible guitar, I have one, but a neck P90 tone can't be duplicated with the Soapbar of a Jr.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
One thing you should know is you will never get the versatility of a twin P90 with a Jr. Yes a Jr is an incredible guitar, I have one, but a neck P90 tone can't be duplicated with the Soapbar of a Jr.
P90 neck tone is sublime, and my favourite clean tone of any kind of pickup. I LOVE the simplicity of a Jr., but dang, I just cannot see myself sacrificing the neck tone on my Special.

sonar1

Reaction score
I had a fantastic sounding red mahogany ebony fretboard Special a few years ago I’d like to have back!
It seemed like a one year run. No neck binding, and the P-90’s humbucked when combined.
What a sound!

BKS

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my 2013 sg fifties tribute with p90.... Lovely fatter neck and p90. And you must love the hilarity of the Prototype stamp on the back of the headstock...

Latest Threads