Best overdrive to go into slightly overdriven tweed

Big John

log stand
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Over Drive pedals a Boss Blues Driver and a Ibanez Tube Screamer. I use the Boss as a clean volume boost mostly and the Tube Screamer for the dirt...
This is exactly what I use when I'm playing thru borrowed amps. If the borrowed amp is running really clean, I'll just turn up the gain a smidge on the BD to get more hair on the tone. FWIW, my BD was modded by Analogman, and my TS is the NuTube. These two together can cover a lot of ground.

I'd also recommend Friedman's Dirty Shirley pedal. That sumbitch can pretty much do anything. Should've never sold mine.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Reaction score
The J Rockett Rockaway Archer has a built-in graphic EQ. Gives you the boost/drive capabilities (it's a Klon clone) plus the ability to shape tonal characteristics to best suit your amp. Highly recommended.
I concur. It has a very usable range of overdrive (from a clean boost to creamy natural overdrive). Best of all, it adds zero distortion fizz. It also works good as a bump to a clean amp, overdrive amp or for pedal stacking. The graphic eq sets it apart from other competition.

Reaction score
You mean the DS-1 righ, coz the OD-1 costs about $400 as its a discontinued vintage pedal.
Anyway, the TS will be more compressed
Okay, and i've read some says the SD1 is better for humbuckers, while TS is better for single coil? Is that true?

LP1865

Reaction score
Okay, and i've read some says the SD1 is better for humbuckers, while TS is better for single coil? Is that true?
Only you can decide.
The SD-1 is my preference, it is louder and has asymmetrical clipping, which makes it louder and smoother.
Also it is the best boost in front of a Marshall

Thundergod

Reaction score
For way less money than the forum popular options:
Boss blues driver
Boss super overdrive

You can (and should) probably get both for less than youtube reviewer popular recommendations. They are great and you see them in most pro setups at one time or another. I own some fancier pedals but always go back to the blues driver + super overdrive combo.

mallcorn

Reaction score
Here are some of my options:
RC booster,
Fulltone OCD,
Tubescreamer,
BB Preamp

I don't have the chance to test them, since i'm buying online
From this list OCD no question. There is another fantastic overdrive that uses a 12AX7 preamp tube in it that is fantastic sounding in any amp. It is a German product made by VAHLBRUCH called Kaluna. Be sure to order the "Hi Gain" mod version one so it can be dialed up or down. The non Hi Gain won't get as crunchy.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's your only overdrive, I would suggest something with tone shaping controls to dial in EQ. Others have mentioned the Timmy, which can also be found pretty cheap if you get the MXR version. Wampler makes a few overdrives that have tone controls, as does JHS. Hope this helps.

Cory

Reaction score
Not sure what you’re looking to achieve in terms of tone/level of gain, but I’d recommend checking out the 1981 inventions drv pedal - I use it to push the clean channel on my Shiva 20th (which is dialed in right at the edge of starting to break up) - sounds excellent for this application - I have the gain/drive knob set to zero (which is still slightly crunchy) on the pedal - it also has a “cut” knob which will affect the high frequencies (will go from super bright to really dark) - I know I’m not answering your original question exactly, but just trying to give some perspective - I’ve seen some mixed reviews on this pedal (though mostly positive) - it’s a bit pricey and can be hard to get one (they seem to sell out rather quickly when available - I grabbed the one on my board from reverb), but for the way I use it I think it sounds fantastic.

Attachments

mascis

Reaction score
I'd use a Boss SD-1 or a Tubescreamer if it were me. The BD-2 if you want a brighter, 'sizzlier' sound, it imparts a bit more of a distortion character compared to the SD-1 and TS.

captdan61

Reaction score
Here are some of my options:
RC booster,
Fulltone OCD,
Tubescreamer,
BB Preamp

I don't have the chance to test them, since i'm buying online
I use a tweed deluxe clone. A les paul with P90s, a R9 a whatever the guitar that John Scofield uses it's one of those but it's not us go field model is from like the 80s but it's the same guitar and a lot of telecasters. So I have been on the same Quest trying to find the right overdrive for me to use with these guitars and that amplifier I've tried no CD I didn't care for it. I'm not a tube screamer fan. I do have the Exotics RC booster I got it a long time ago and I used to use it with my vibrolux and you said it was my Tweed Deluxe is terrific it's fantastic and if you play multiple instruments you can dial down the gain and increase the volume and you can use it to boost a mandolin for a solo or an acoustic guitar for a solo or you can put everything at noon and it just gives you more of everything it's a great pedal it's probably a pedal I would never sell. But the question comes down to how much money do you want to spend? And what kind of sound do you looking for how much gain are you trying to get out of this pedal could you want to sound like generally I just want to have the app at the point where it's beginning to break up and I can clean it up of the volume knob on my guitar and then if I want you to head toward kind of a Tom Petty type overdrive a little bit more do you know how to step in the box and it turned the knob up. I got a little pedal that was recommended to me call the sweet cream pedal which Paul Stafford cook is very high on he's a YouTuber and it's a great time and it was like 45 bucks cheap so very good sounding pedal I've wanted to try the Greer lightspeed but I haven't got my hands on one yet. I have the love pedal silver Kalamazoo. I have had Archer gold. and the OCD. Those faces mxr Blues boxes to Screamers. Pedals that I have that are really good and I won't sell but are not currently on my board I've got a D & M Drive which is on my borders I've got that sweet cream pedal which is not on my board I've got the catalinbread Naga Viper which is great but not on my board I've got The Love pedal Kalamazoo silver great great pedal not on my board. I've got the love power pedal high powered Tweed twin daughter my board but a great panel the RC booster is on my board the new pedal by Chase Bliss the otamatone or whatever it is it's the automated super expensive pedal that pretty much sounds like absolutely everything I'm seriously considering not that I can afford it but I'm giving it a lot of thought

E.T.

Reaction score
Given that you're using a solid state pedal for the tweed sound rather than a tube amp you basically want something that produces a lead distortion sound rather than actually driving the pedal harder.

HJR

Reaction score
I recently traded my OCD V2 for a Timmy V2 and couldn’t be happier with the swap. I liked the OCD but absolutely love the Timmy. I have been using it with my Fender Bassman Reissue LTD. I haven’t had a bad result yet. Your tone in that video was nice and the transparent nature of the Timmy may add the extra you are looking for without changing the warmth you have. The new V3 Timmy has a higher gain setting if you want a little more.

Reaction score
I recently traded my OCD V2 for a Timmy V2 and couldn’t be happier with the swap. I liked the OCD but absolutely love the Timmy. I have been using it with my Fender Bassman Reissue LTD. I haven’t had a bad result yet. Your tone in that video was nice and the transparent nature of the Timmy may add the extra you are looking for without changing the warmth you have. The new V3 Timmy has a higher gain setting if you want a little more.
Actually it's not my video, just an example LOL
Same ballpark, but he uses real amp, i use amp in the box pedal.
I don't think i'll go with a timmy or ocd.
Since i need to push it hard into overdriven lead tone, i'm gonna need plenty of gain and compression (OCD lacks compression, timmy is too transparent)
I think I'll go for the BOSS DS1

Reaction score
From this list OCD no question. There is another fantastic overdrive that uses a 12AX7 preamp tube in it that is fantastic sounding in any amp. It is a German product made by VAHLBRUCH called Kaluna. Be sure to order the "Hi Gain" mod version one so it can be dialed up or down. The non Hi Gain won't get as crunchy.
Thx for your recommendation
I think i'll go for the BOSS DS1, the OCD lacks compression for an overdriven lead tone i think

goodvibes

Reaction score
+1 on the Timmy. Not the MXR licensed version though. Plenty of used V2 and V3 Timmy's out there.

Reactions: HJR

ngteleblues

Reaction score
I’ve owned an OCD pedal for around 12 years and I use it with the switch in the LP position and the drive barely on, tone near 12:00 or 1:00. I set the volume to unity or slightly above. In this setting, depending on your pick attack, it’s difficult to hear any difference between the bypassed signal and the boosted signal.
When I used to sit in one blues jams, I would put the pedal on my amp and leave it on all the time, using the guitars volume to vary from clean to overdriven. It really is a very dynamic amp like tone and response. I don’t really care for any other settings on the OCD. A lot of folks give up on the OCD before discovering it’s best use which is its lowest drive setting. If you are able to go straight to the amp without an OD pedal and just use the amp’s natural overdrive, great but when you can’t, this is a good way to go.
That being said, this may not work as well at bedroom level but on a gig when you can’t be loud, the OCD shines.

Latest Threads