Best LP Trad with 60s neck?

focusbob

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I'm looking to get my first LP and I am very partial to the 60s neck and weight relieving (as opposed to chambering). As I see it, I have two options:

1) LP Trad Pro (GC exclusive)
Gibson USA: Les Paul Traditional Pro Exclusive, Pictures and Tabs, Download Guitar Music and Buy Gibson Electric Guitars Online

2) LP Trad 1960 zebra (sam ash exclusive)
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960 Zebra

There's only one thing keeping me going straight to number 2 (b/c I like the 57 classic + bridge pu in the Trad 1960 vs the BB3 in the Trad Pro): whereas the trad pro has been completely plek'd, it looks like the Trad 1960 has only had its nut plek'd. I've heard bad things about fret conditions from non plek'd LPs. The 1960 (I'm looking at the goldtop) is several hundred dollars less than the pro though.

What do folks think?

Thanks,
Jim

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not to derail you. Have you thought about the limited GT 60's tribute? alot of guitar for $800

jamman

Reaction score
You are right about the Plek issue . But I only look quickly and the Trad Pro doesn't have a 60's neck, does it ? So unless you like the 50's neck, I'd look at some others .I will say this . I have played all 3 (colors) of the S.A. 1960's guitars and they are very nice. Nothing wrong with them and a very resonant guitar , I was suprised just how resonate they were. All of them were set up fine and played well. I had no complaints about them. I have been known to be fairly picky at times . but for the money Good guitar.
It reminded me of my 05 faded .
If you can try it first , do that . If not, you can all ways return it , right ? Get ready for a NGD LOL!!!!!!!!!

Howard2k

Reaction score
Both are 60s necks.

The SA is only 300k vol pots, No locking tuners, no coil splitting.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Traditional Pro is hard to beat for the money. It's a great thin SlimTaper 60s neck, and GC does discount these quite often. They were selling the ebony ones for $1699 this past Labor Day weekend, and even without a sale going on, I was able to get my Traditional Pro Goldtop/Darkback for $1699 as well.

PUPs can be swapped out if you really want the '57/'57+ (my favorite combo too), but the BB3/'57 combo is pretty impressive. Coil tapping and locking tuners are just icing on the cake.

Jack W

Reaction score
I wouldn't change the bb3 in the bridge for anything on my lp.
I have had my ebony trad pro about 6 months and love it.
I have never seen the other lp you listed.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
The actual "60s" necks that I have experienced are anything but consistant. You are going to have to play the individual guitars to see what you prefer.
I have done some reading on the PLEK system, and even though some of Gibson's literature only mentions that the nut has been "Pleked", that is just a small part of the process. That's to say, if the nut has been Pleked, the entire neck has been Pleked. Plus, I've never read to the contrary that all Traditionals are Pleked.
AND, if you have eliminated the P-90 loaded model, you may have missed the chance of a lifetime. P-90s on a Paul rule. Simply Sonic Superiority (IMHO).

Jack W

Reaction score
I just purchased the lp trad pro gt with p90's . Almost had a 339 but took it back for the gt.
I would post some pics but can't from my android .

Mule Train

Reaction score
For me I like the 50's necks. Have you tried both? Slim taper necks are just that and may effect your playing if you have bigger hands. My BFG's neck was a 50's and it was fatter than the 50's neck on my Trad Plus.

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies! I love how active this forum is!

I didn't know there was a difference in the pots between the 1960 and the pro, thanks for that info.

I'm also intrigued about the "if the nut has been plek'd the whole thing has been plek'd"; is there any documentation to back that up?

I have tried 50s and 60s necks; I do have big hands but I've been playing an SG with a 60s neck for the past 15 years and I'm very comfortable with it.

And, I by no means think that anyone's p/up tastes are invalid, but I really didn't like the BB3 when I tried it.

Has anyone ever coil split a classic 57+ (or I guess any non-coil split pickup)? If I brought it to a tech to do, is it difficult work?

Thanks!
Jim

b3john

Reaction score
Sam Ash has the Les Paul Traditional 1960 models in Ebony and Teaburst:

Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960 in Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960 in Tea Burst

They also have the Les Paul Traditional 1960 Zebras, currently available in Trans Red or as a Goldtop, but a Honeyburst version is supposed to be on the way:

Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition Traditional 1960 Zebra Trans Red
Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition Traditional 1960 Zebra Satin

All have "weight relieving" ("Swiss Cheesed") and the '60s Slim necks. Expect them to weigh in somewhere between 9 and 10 lbs.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
I changed out the BB3 in my Trad Pro GT for a Dimarzio 36th PAF. It's a simple swap I used a 4 conductor so I could keep the coil split.
IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

focusbob

Reaction score
Right, but what about a 57 classic plus with 4 conductor wire? I haven't seen one (not a 57 classic but a 57 classic plus).

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
GC is the only place you can get a 57 classic+ with 4 conductor, I believe. I just liked the Dimarzio better.

LP Bob

Reaction score
LP Trad Pro and keep it stock, it's perfect. The BB3 is amazing, play it through a good amp and you'll see how powerful it is. Sounds great tapped too. Can't beat the Pro, especially for the cash.

Latest Threads