Best Leather guitar straps?

kungpow!

Reaction score
Levy glove leather
Super soft and comfy

I have a couple Italias... Thick leather, very stiff. Nice color options. Prefer the Levy

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Levy's 2.5" M17SS "Supersoft" in what they call "garment leather" are pretty impressive: thick strap and very supportive but very soft and comfortable. They're well over $100 at list price but can be found online for less. Both of my Letsers are currently on these. The current Levy's catalogue only has the M17SS in black but there are older versions in black, red, burgundy, dark brown, brown that are still available from online retailers if you search carefully. Great straps, highly recommended.

I also have a couple of the big Gibson weight-relieving straps from a few years back (a Fatboy that I bought with my '16 Trad and a Switchblade that came with my used '14 Standard). Both are very impressive and a genuinely very good at taking the weight of the guitar if standing and playing a heavy instrument for any length of time -- but they also feel a little "over-engineered" if that makes sense; they're definitely very big and cumbersome straps. They're great for a long performance or rehearsal session but for me they also feel like they really get in the way if you just want to leave the guitar on a decent "normal" strap at home so you can pick it up whenever you feel like it. They're no longer in the current Gibson line up but there were still a couple of retailers who had stock online -- probably pretty rare now though.

Last edited:

Steven

Reaction score
I have about 40 leather straps, and they vary. They are mostly all wide and broken in. If not initially soft. Most are soft leather. All different well known brands. I won't spend an excessive sum of money on a guitar strap.

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
I've bought way too many straps until I found this one, Levy's M4 3.5" Padded Garment Leather Bass Strap.
My only issue was it was shorter than I wanted so I riveted the adjustable tail piece to the very end of the strap body and it's perfect (52" to 55"). Sweetwater has them on sale right now.

Lots of straps out there but unless you can test drive before you buy I highly recommend this one.

EDIT: Finding this thread made me order another one, thx!

Last edited:

Latest Threads