Best guitar strings?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Ok so I know this a question you’re supposed to ask within the first few weeks of guitar playing, but it just occurred to me that I don’t have a single one brand preference in guitar strings. Obviously at first I was an Ernie ball user, but just because of the band wagon. I loved the fact that angus young, and a bunch of other players used them, and as I got into metal, Jared dines and a few other you tubers were on there as well. Problem is, I always hated (and this may just be me) how slippery and wet feeling ernies guitar string are. It’s like they have a super slick coating that I can’t get a grip on, their main sound lasts maybe a weeks at most and from then it just slowly just gets darker and darker and more like a rubber band. I mainly now use “dee a dairy ohs” simply because they don’t have that slick feeling, and although their tone isn’t “outstandingly innovative” it stays the same sound from the time in string them up to the time I change them. I’ve also used elixirs but they were a little warmer than I like and after a week or two, that coating would start peeling off into rubbery fuzz all over the board. Mainly looking for a set that stays the same tone, has good grip with no slippery feeling, and doesn’t cost 30 bucks a pack. Thanks all, Davey-

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any best strings. It' very much a question of preference. You need to try some different strings, then at some point you get preference for a certain brand and/or type. That is until your preference change :)

If nickel plated steel, I prefer D'Addario. But I have Pyramid Nickel Classics on my Les Pauls.
I play blues and classic rock. For metal I guess some of louder strings (cobalt?) could be an option.

Last edited:

StubbyJ

Reaction score
All True answers thus far, but as Bro KV mentioned the NYXL are a great place to start. First time I tried them I was pissed because as I realized I would be paying more for strings. I hear great things about String Joy and Kurt Magnon offerings. I have never tried either but thought I'd mentioned. Rumor is the KM are the "same" as EB of yester-year. Same string but using better materials as EB once did. Don't hold me to this as I'm just another new balance sneaker wearing dad with a pot belly.

BadMongo

Reaction score
When I worked as a luthier's apprentice for a few years, he kept sleeves of GHS strings in stock for the new guitars or repair jobs, so I've mostly just kept using them. They're fine :laugh2:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Musicians Gear

They cost less than the overhyped overpriced brands and make the same sound.

Next question.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Try Dunlop

Tried em few years ago, for cheap, and found them quite good, at least as good as my usual favorite, GHS Boomers

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Most folks are using either D'aDario's or Boomers with some Dunlops thrown in. Any of those strings will be good quality and consistent, you just have to find the ones that tug your trolly (so to speak).

Good luck and happy testing!

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using D’Addarios for two decades.
Their qualities have already been mentioned above.

I have nothing against Ernie Balls really!
They just smell a lot funkier after a couple of plays for some reason.

I decided to give these a try though as I mentioned in another thread.
Three packs, which means it will probably take me a year and a half to test them all. lol

IMG_7374.jpg

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Try Dunlop

Tried em few years ago, for cheap, and found them quite good, at least as good as my usual favorite, GHS Boomers
I’m actually buying two packs right now to give the a try. I had good luck with the heavy cores a while back when I was in my b standard tuning phase so I’m going to give those a try on my tele

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Same.....tried the Gibson vintage strings for a while. Nice but too pricey
I may try the Gibson strings, as well as fender ones. I found an old pack of Martin acoustic string that had to have been at least 2 decades old. So does aged STRINGS sound better than vintage guitars? I actually found them better than any guitar string I had ever heard. Sadly they are now discontinued. At least I think since I can not even find a picture of them.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I’ve been using D’Addarios for two decades.
Their qualities have already been mentioned above.

I have nothing against Ernie Balls really!
They just smell a lot funkier after a couple of plays for some reason.

I decided to give these a try though as I mentioned in another thread.
Three packs, which means it will probably take me a year and a half to test them all. lol

View attachment 559443
Cobalt sounds a little thicker, regular slinkies are a classic guitar tone overall, and m steels sounded a little brittle to me, but not in a bad way. Imagine a humbucker with the pole pieces all the way out. Not extremely bright but definitely a little more frequencies. Like I said I op, the only reason I don’t like them, is because they feel like they are coated in lubricant, their main tone only lasts for about a week, and once they finally get broken in, they just sound lifeless.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use DR and pyramid when i can get them, although I bought a 10 pack of earnie balls 8's though so still working through them at mo. I have a set of curt mangan to go on the R8 at some point.

Latest Threads