Best Guitar Cable From Pedal Board To Amplifier

freefrog

Reaction score
What is the fet input stage? I dont use a distortion pedal this is my rig:
In this order through fx loop... Send to empress paraeq, volume pedal, mxr 10 band eq, analogman ardx20 w/amaze0 then return fx loop would i need this fet input stage? Or just a Plain buffer
The FET input stage would be IN the buffer, itself used as a first pedal after the axe...
Buffers are built around different components: op amps, separate transistors and so on. Among these possible components, a FET circuit is the best way to keep a "friendly" impedance for the next pedals in the chain (AFAIK).

hillbilly

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use what Jimmy and Jimi and Eric and Pete and Paul use... :cool:

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I just compared some Lava against my Spectraflex. The Spec's are warmer and more organic. Sending the Lava's back to MF.

Mattdive

Reaction score
Lava
Monster (free replacements when they go bad)

Whatever you get, use the shortest you can get away with.

freefrog

Reaction score
Try a 25' coily cord... :cool:
Lava
Monster (free replacements when they go bad)

Whatever you get, use the shortest you can get away with.
That's what I'd call opposite recommendations... :laugh2:

After 8 years or experiments around such things, my advice would be: between an axe with passive PU's and its first active "host" (amp or buffered pedals), use what you want according to the tone desired.

Long cable = high capacitance = passive mid boost FX / vintage tone.
Short cable = low capacitance = cleaner crispier sound.

A short cable can't give the sound of a long one and reciprocally.

As already explained here, I personally use a short cable of 3m + a passive pedal including a "cable emulator" (several caps on a rotocontactor to mimic 4,5m, 6m, 9m and 15m of wire). :cool:

SilverBurstDR

Reaction score
I just buy cable per meter, and solder on the plugs my self. Very cheap and efficient. Can't hear any difference form expensive cables :p
very true actually comparisons have been done testing high end guitar cables and metal coat hangers and actually the coat hanger sounded best....:naughty: All this to say buy some decent cable and build your own. You'll save money and sound as good as the next guy.

blamo

Reaction score
20' lava coil -> TB pedal board interconnected with mogami+amphenol plugs -> 12' mogami and amphenol plugs

freefrog

Reaction score
very true actually comparisons have been done testing high end guitar cables and metal coat hangers and actually the coat hanger sounded best....:naughty: All this to say buy some decent cable and build your own. You'll save money and sound as good as the next guy.
The coat hanger thing was done with loudspeakers cables, AFAIK.

With guitar cable, expensive wires DO make a difference because of capacitance. Once again, it's a matter of tech data and not an opinion. :)

Now, the question is to know if low cap is better for guitars and the answer is not so clear...:laugh2:

Oh, and as mentioned before, I've built my own cables during years. The problem is that solders are not as solid as molded plugs if you play on stage (which I do)...

moff40

Reaction score
I was using George L for a long time, and believe in them completely for on-pedalboard use, but in long lengths, it turns into spaghetti too easily. Out of convenience I switched to a PedalSnake which would let me have all of my front of stage stuff (in/out, fx send/return, Mesa footswitch, 9vdc, etc) attached over one cable run, which was also OK (even though it wasn't stellar cable, my guitar still sounded fine). Now, I use an X2 wireless and an ElevenRack. No guitar to amp cables at all, just a short one from the X2 to the 11R input. My fx are within the 11R, controlled by a Ground Control Pro.

Really, anything that uses decent cable and decent ends - even the in-store brands that use Belden cable and Switchcraft ends - are fine. Mogami and similar cable might be advisable in studios and other installations where it's installed once and left, but for applications where the cable gets walked on, tangled, twisted, repeatedly set up and torn down, wrapped and unwrapped, used in different environments every night, there's really no advantage to spending $100 apiece on magic snake oil cables.