Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Others

Votes: 48 18.5%

• Total voters

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Played a ltlle 1980s super champ to test out a 335 at a geetar shop and...

wholly ****, man! that push pull overdrive in that thing was sooo
warm, fat and sweet. I think it was a reveara circa one? I usally dont care for the master volume thing but all i can say is that was VERY FUN playing!

S. Rock

Reaction score
If you guys ever played my 1958 Tweed Bassman chassis in the 4x12 Maple Cab w/Blue speakers, you may say the DR is 2nd. I have 4 DR's and love em all. It's hard to pick just one amp when you need different amps for different songs. But this old Bassman with the 4 Blues and 1961 Reverb Unit and small pedal-board w/analog delay and OD. Everyone wants to borrow this amp.
that sure is a pretty wood grain in that cabinet. :thumb: I've heard nothing but good about those old '58 Bassmans

Gary

Reaction score
I've owned several Champs but never connected with them. I'm much happier with my Musicmaster Bass amp which is only ten watts. It slays a Champ.

But I voted for the Deluxe Reverb because I own an old one. :)

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
I love fender amps, they are the bee's knees.

My top 5 would be:

Twin reverb
Deluxe Reverb
Princeton Reverb
Bassman
tweed deluxe

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
While i love fender deluxe reverbs.....theres just nothing that compares with a 5f6a fender bassman...every guitar just seems to sound great through it especially strats and teles. Plus its very simple yet incredibly versatile.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I've got a '64 Custom Deluxe reverb and recently bought a Champ clone...both completely different amps and I love them for the different sounds they make. One was the cheapest amp I own and the other the most expensive, still can't separate them.

I did once play through an original 60s blackface Twin and while my memory is perhaps rose tinted, I think that was the best amp I've ever played through, so that gets my vote. :)

scozz

Reaction score
My vote is for one that is not even on your list,..... Fender Super Six Reverb! A 100 watt, 6-10 combo that weighs 100lbs!!

Who's to say what "the best" amp is? This one may not be the best Fender but I bet it's the LOUDEST Fender amp!! :laugh2:
I use to own one of these in the early 70s, I gigged with it for about 3 years.

ARandall

Reaction score
This sort of zombie thread is actually not bad as a re-freshment.

Would love to try out a Twin myself. Or a vibrolux.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I'd say my fave a tie between the blackface bassman and the tweed twin...

Both are great pedal platforms and both are killer when cranked up!

2nd place tie is between the tweed bassman and the tweed deluxe.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m going with super reverb on this one despite never owning one.

I house sat for my old guitar teacher one time Year’s ago and got to crank all his vintage fenders and out of 2 basemans, a few bandmasters, a champ and maybe a showman, the super reverb stood apart from the rest.

Plus reverb.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I would vote Bassman probably, but it's ridiculous that Vibrolux isn't on there.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned most SF and BF Fender combo amps multiple times.

My favorites in order of priority

Deluxe Reverb
Vibrolux Reverb
Super Reverb
Princeton Reverb
Pro Reverb
Twin Reverb

My current two Fender amps.

F20D051D-4737-4707-9948-D1998CA89093.jpeg
98ECC9E2-0C6E-4A0B-A53E-CF782BE85B8A.jpeg

Last edited:

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of reverb. I have 2 Bassman heads, a '63 and a '66. They both sound amazing with all dials dimed. Loaded with winged C power tubes and Telefunkin ax7's

sonar

Reaction score
I avoided even opening this thread first time through as it's nearly impossible for me to answer. Like kids I might have a favorite, but f*ck all if I'll tell you.

I'm most familiar with Blackface/Silverface amps and while I love DR's, they aren't in my top 5 BF amps. Imo the Princeton Reverb is tonally more interesting and the Vibrolux/verb and Pro circuit is more full and pleasing to my ears. I can't even pick between a good Twin and an Alnico loaded SR because both are awesome. When you get rid of the CBS engineered nonsense in the AB165 Bassman you probably have one of the all time great overdrives - Fender or other.

Going backwards there's the White Knob to later Tweed era's. There's a bunch of models I've played from these eras and all (that were well maintained) sounded anywhere from good to Godly. Again, can't pick a favorite, but notable amps were the Brownie Super 210 and Deluxe, 6G6-B Bassman, and of course the Tweed Deluxe, Pro and Bassman.

More recent (post Rivera) the Zinky designed Vibro King, Dual Professional and Tonemaster sound really good to great, although the internal wiring is a bit sloppy.

Over the years Vox has made a half dozen great amps, Marshall maybe 10... it can be argued that Fender has more than doubled both combined in terms of great tube amps.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I use a Super as my gigging amp, & it sounds like we use them in the same way, but when I see "Super Reverb" and "heavy lifting" together like that I have to smile! Wonderfull amplifier, but sooooo damn heavy! :)
My old super, I replaced the alnico speakers with ceramic, THAT was heavy.

Great amp, but for what I was using it for, it didnt cut the mustard. Wished I had kept it, and put it back all stock. I put a ss rectifier in it, ceramic speakers, then it behaved, mostly how I wanted, but weighed about 110 lbs

Reactions: huw

John Ucol

Reaction score
The 5150 III, since EVH is a subsidiary under Fender.