Best/Favorite Pat# Reproductions

slaptap

Reaction score
Looking to get a set of Pat# repros that would be suited to my 1964 ES345 reissue. It seems to be a very specific era of pickup that not many manufacturers focus on. The only two I have found so far are Brandonwound and the richer tastes of Throbak and Rewind but curious to hear any other recommendations.
Thanks in advance :cheers2:

20211127_113511.jpg

jbash

Reaction score
BK Riff Raffs
Wolfetone Marshallhead MKII *
Throbak
Rewind
Vineham

*Wolfetone has a 25% sale going on right now- Without a doubt that is going to be your best cost to tone value at this time.

If you are really on a budget, you can try some Duncan 59s with quality Short A5s. Certainly not up the level of tone quality or authenticity as the abovementioned companies, but.....

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for Wolfetone. I pulled the factory SD 59s out of my Heritage H-150 and dropped in a set of Legends. I have never looked back. Awesome pickups, hand wound, and on my doorstep a week after I ordered them. Wolfe will also talk to you and make you exactly what you are looking for.

stephen78

Reaction score
I had The Fool set from Electric City Pickups at one time (no longer made though). They were nice…I used both short A2 (stock) and short A5 in them. I eventually switched to OX4 low winds with A4s for my 64 335 RI. Those pickups took my guitar to another level. Just another option to think about!

slaptap

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose those sale prices at Wolfetone are hard to beat compared to some of the competition, and I've seen them highly regarded in many a thread here and elsewhere. I don't know how important the "short" magnets are to the pat#/pat sticker tone? The Marshallhead MKIIs don't seem to mention anything specifically with regards to the size of the magnets.

mdubya

Reaction score
What is wrong with the current pickups?

I saw a comparo between a real '64 and a reissue and, short of the real thing, I think you would have a hard time beating what you have.

:dunno:

slaptap

Reaction score
What is wrong with the current pickups?

I saw a comparo between a real '64 and a reissue and, short of the real thing, I think you would have a hard time beating what you have.

:dunno:

I assume you're referring to the Peach Guitars video. My guitar has MHS humbuckers which are not bad by any means but are very warm and mellow. I'm looking to get some of that Alnico 5 bite injected into that instrument's sound. More clarity, focus, detail.

mdubya

Reaction score
I assume you're referring to the Peach Guitars video. My guitar has MHS humbuckers which are not bad by any means but are very warm and mellow. I'm looking to get some of that Alnico 5 bite injected into that instrument's sound. More clarity, focus, detail.

Pony up the $$$ and call James @cooljuk.

He will give you what you want. You won't have to take a stab in the dark.

Sounds like you need low output A4-ish, to me.

I didn't realize you have MHS (II, I believe). I have those in my '59 RI and agree, warm and mellow, which I love, but I also understand that is not the sound many are looking for. My Dot Reissue has Tom Holmes which are bright and aggressive and raunchy, but get very sweet with volumes and tones rolled down and in the neck and middle positions. They are over the top vs vintage imho.

James would understand that Peach Guitars video and be able to get you a lot closer to the real '64 Pat Nos, I think.

That is a great video. Made me feel like I NEED a '64 RI! :dude:

JMHO.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I had The Fool set from Electric City Pickups at one time (no longer made though). They were nice…I used both short A2 (stock) and short A5 in them. I eventually switched to OX4 low winds with A4s for my 64 335 RI. Those pickups took my guitar to another level. Just another option to think about!

Check this out cause I don't see too many videos of those pickups

Latest Threads