Best Epiphone Les Pauls?

Monster

Reaction score
On the Gibson side, there are often discussions of the best years for various guitars, especially the Historics, with detailed comments about changes in features. They seem to come to some degree of consensus - for example, the 2003s with Brazilian boards or Murphy aged guitars tend to fetch a premium, and 2013 had some changes making it a "good year".

In the Epiphone world, there is a little talk about Korean vs Chinese, and a little about various features changing - most like Probuckers and don't care for Alnico Classics for example. Not a lot of discussion about when changes happened, no detailed chronology like with Gibsons.

I for one would appreciate having some of this info readily available. So this is really two questions - do you think there are Epiphone Les Pauls that are clear standouts for various reasons, and should we start a "chronology of the Epi LP" sticky? I don't have much actual info to impart for a chronology, but I'll go ahead and title a separate thread in case you want to help. Please put comments about "best Epi LP" here please.

I'll offer a couple of thoughts about my '92 MIK LP. Its well made, apparently the neck is maple rather than mahogany, and the neck is a bit on the smallish side, especially compared to my Gibson. With a number of upgrades its becoming a very nice guitar. I need to get out and compare to some other Epi LPs - I'm especially curious if the neck is bigger on other more recent ones. Tonally, I feel it punches above its weight class.

56GT

Reaction score
"best Epi LP" - any one of the '56 Gold Top reissues... :)

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I always liked the 3 pick up black LP. I never played one, I heard my friend play his. The tones out of that guitar amazed me.

rem22

Reaction score
Usually we use to saying best overall are Elitists (discontinued) and in the current line up the Joe Bonamassa or the Tribute Plus, with some limited series like Smash signature etc...

Mic vs mik might have been true a few years ago, but it is no longer the cas today. Acutally i really think a lot of current chinese are much better than mik, like the Tribute Plus, Joe Bonamassa etc...

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll leave the historical debate to the experts and can't comment of the highly sought after hard to find ones.
As far as easily and readily accessible goes though, I remain amazed with my T+.
Hard for me to believe that you could get more bang for the buck simply walking into a store or hitting one click on the net.

rem22

Reaction score
I meant Slash signature guitars of course, not Smash :)

But you know, all that is average stats and specs. Maybe one of the first chinese guitars made got a great attention and a very good wood and it might be the best of the Epiphones ever sold, against all odds.

And like a few other members before pe said, the best one might be yours. You don't need the best of all things to rock out, any guitar hero would make a 300€ Epiphone sounds like a fatastic guitars, probably much better than any average player with a R9. Don't underestimate the amp too, my LP does not sound the same at all on my micro cube or on my blackstar. And I'd be happy to play it on a good Fender amp too.

Papa

Reaction score
Best Epiphone Les Pauls?
I've been setting up, customizing and playing Pauls for a few decades.
With the exception of the occasional dud (as I would expect from the maker of any product)
I have found very few "Epiphone" Les Pauls that do not play well once set up; especially if it is set up to your particular playing style.

And yes, the T+ is a great value.

Besides...
A good guitar is where you find it.

Just another opinion,

Papa

Diocletian

Reaction score
From personal experience, I've had a couple of Chinese Epis and a couple of Korean Epis. I sold both the Chinese ones.
They looked great, appeared to be better built and yet...they just didn't play as well or have *that* mojo that makes us want to hang onto a guitar.

Scientifically, I doubt there's a way to quantify it, but for me, Korean Epis are better than Chinese ones by quite a margin.

56GT

Reaction score
From personal experience, I've had a couple of Chinese Epis and a couple of Korean Epis. I sold both the Chinese ones.
They looked great, appeared to be better built and yet...they just didn't play as well or have *that* mojo that makes us want to hang onto a guitar.

Scientifically, I doubt there's a way to quantify it, but for me, Korean Epis are better than Chinese ones by quite a margin.

:iough:

MrJudd77

Reaction score
T+ is a standout in the current world of Epi. It punches well above its weight and has tone and sustain that would rival alot of more expensive makes. Stays in tune and just plays like butter. The best bit is that I have one. It is a 2014 made T+ if that makes a difference and I think it will only get better with age.

edoso

Reaction score
The best Epi LP in my opinion is the one I just sold, it was a Les Paul Black Beauty 3. I upgraded all the pickups to Gibson '57 classics and put a gold Bigsby B7 on a Vibramate system. It sounded and played really well, not quite up to the level of my 2013 Gibson Les Paul traditional but still a lovely guitar!

Attachments

Reaction score
i have a couple koreans and love em. i have a korean epiphone les paul and a korean g-400. compared to my (newer) chinese epi les paul standard, the general structure is a million times better. not sure if it's the quality of wood or just the factory set up that makes the difference, but whatever it is blows my mind. if my korean epi lp had the seymour duncan pups that my chinese had, oh man... by the way, my g-400 and korean epi are stock, the chinese epi has an alnico pro ii in the neck and a jb in the neck i believe... may need to double check lol

kevinpaul

Reaction score

I agree.

Hack

Reaction score
I have both:

Korean

Chinese

The build quality on the Chinese Budokan is way better than the Korean. With that said, the Korean has "something" special about it.

Latest Threads