Best Countersink Bit for Plastic Pickguards?

greenhorn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dont do a ton of pickguards and currently have a crappy cheap countersink for the holes.

Well, It is too much of a PITA to get nice clean countersinks and I have a few to do now so Im wondering what some of you recommend.

Definetely looking for something of good quality that will last too.

Thanks for any help you may have. :fingersx:

P.S. I know I do a lot of asking without much telling but dont worry, once I get a normal internet connection I will be posting past builds I have documented and new ones too so I can give back a little.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a cross hole countersink? Works pretty well for plastic.

gator payne

Reaction score
I have a set of drill/countersink bits that I bought many years ago for #2 through #1/4 screws. The bit and countersink are one bit. They have three steps. First step is the treaded hole predrill diamater. The second step is slightly larger for free screw clearance and the last step is of course the counter sink they are made of tool steel and the countersink is very sharp. I have found the key to nice clean countersinks in plastic and in perticularly in celulose is the right speed in combination with feed rate. Too fast and you melt rather than cut and too slow you you take gashing cuts. I have my drill press set up to turm at 1800 rpm for this task and I feed rather deliberatly. Not just plung directly to the dril stop but not going so slow that I feel like I am setting in one place long enough to heat up the plastic.

greenhorn

Reaction score
Freddy, no I havent tried the cross hole yet.....cant find them online either....in the size I want anyway. Any suggestions?

Gator, thanks for the good advice as usual. After doing what you said my results were better but I still need better quality countersink bits. I think mine are actually hardware store "dollar specials".

So if anyone wants to recommend me a good quality bit and where to get it that'd be great.

Thanks.

landsharkey

Reaction score
Are these what you are looking for? The #2 and #3 sizes seem to be hard to find elsewhere.
C14_mounted_on_TPD.jpg

greenhorn

Reaction score
Heck yeah thats what Im looking for! :thumbs:

Was still unable to find them in #2 and 3 sizes online though. Actually called Fuller though and talked to Lisa and she set me straight. Good ol family owned business, very helpful peeps.

They seem like they sould do the job just fine.

Thanks Sharkey. :dude:

greenhorn

Reaction score
Are these what you are looking for? The #2 and #3 sizes seem to be hard to find elsewhere.
C14_mounted_on_TPD.jpg

So I ended up getting some of these from Fuller and they work perfect other than having to clean the plastic out of the flutes everytime. Other than that they DO cut a perfectly smooth countersink.

The next time I order I'll try their step drills with plastic. They do have more like forstner bits in thier online catalog.

I then proceded to order some of these from Fuller as well. I was hoping that the design would speed things up since I wouldnt have to clean the plastic out of the flutes. Im not too crazy obout these though. With my setup I cant get them to cut as cleanly as the other countersinks. I think four flutes are needed. That way there are enough cutters to keep revealing fresh surface for the next cutter. Thus, preventing the plastic from heating up enough to melt around the hole. With only two flutes I think theres too much surface friction created from the area on the bit between the flutes. Of course this is all with my cheap, CHEAP, crappy, 5 speed drill press.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Ummm...

I use a dremel bullet grinding stone...

drill the hole and then countersink with the bullet..

after some practice (over years of doing this) they are spot on every time...

greenhorn

Reaction score
Ummm...

I use a dremel bullet grinding stone...

drill the hole and then countersink with the bullet..

after some practice (over years of doing this) they are spot on every time...

yeah......I dont have time for that. I dont even have time to to clean the plastic out of the flutes but I have to. Im sure it works, just too timely for me.

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
If you have a compressor blow cold air on it when you cut it - I'd recommend water but its messy...

Latest Threads