Best classic rock pedal? (boutique)

Butcher123

Reaction score
Ive been considering buying the Skreddy Screwdriver as it seems really nice for classic rock. Its versatility is quite impressive but is there anything similar to this one? i know there are some great great pedals for the exact band sound (LZeppelin... etc....) but im not interested in that. i need something more versatile, any ideas?

Thanks!

Tom.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My Bad Monkey with my tube amps at or just above the edge of breakup is working well for me for rhythm tones

Mordor

Reaction score
Are you looking for something Plexi-ish sounding maybe?

Marshallow

Reaction score
Xotic's SL Drive. Can't beat it. I like the Zvex Box of Rock but it really works better in a clean Marshall than in the usual Fender combo you find at gigs. The SL Drive gives you the huge Plexi sound even plugged into a toaster. It has dip switches to turn it into a SuperBass and it's super solid and takes no room on a pedalboard.

nateh107

Reaction score
+ 1 on the SL Drive . I also swear by Fulltone Plimsoul covers a lot of ground .

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Versatile? "Classic rock"? "Boutique"?

Well, the Cornish SS3 is the most versatile pedal I've ever heard. I use it for all my classic rock needs. Don't know if that's "boutique" enough, but Cornish is one of the originals.

Great pedal, always on. :)

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Versatile? "Classic rock"? "Boutique"?

Well, the Cornish SS3 is the most versatile pedal I've ever heard. I use it for all my classic rock needs. Don't know if that's "boutique" enough, but Cornish is one of the originals.

Great pedal, always on. :)

I have a G2 clone, it's amazing and my favorite distortion*

*Thanks Batman!

Brocko

Reaction score
Just got hold of a Vox V830 Distortion Booster - absolute sweeeeeeet sounding pedal, just a bit noisy - but the tone when you are playing is amazing

kam4ff

Reaction score
everyone has their own opinion, as everyone has their own tone. I recommend you take what we suggest and get out and try the recommendations to see what works for you.

My recommendations

Wampler Paisley Drive- you think its country, but its not. I use it in front of my 2203 and 2555 with my Les Paul Custom or Firebird V and its like a Trainwreck with a bit more Marshall flavor. Plus the options really make it more versatile with the mid options and the presence switch

Xotic EP Boost- I like this because to me it says 'this is my amp, but hotter.' I still have that 2203/2555 sound, but just more of it. I wish the internal switches could be accessed from the outside, because then it would be more versatile in a gig situation. I have it set up now in a fatter kind of sound, but I'd like to be able to flip the switch for a tighter boost with less bass with my finger or foot in a concert situation, but thats why I have more than one boost.

Marshallow

Reaction score
The whole question is what amp you will plug into. Some pedals won't have enough juice if the house amp is a super clean Fender. Usually I plug in the normal channel in those rather than the bright. One trick is to have a foundation pedal like a Box Of Rock (which has a boost for solos) and have your fav overdrive in front.
I suggested the SL Drive because it works on its own in any amp.

Latest Threads