Best Centralab replicas?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I wanted to do something really special for a client who purchased three of my Vintage Pulls Series pickups and two full wiring harnesses with NOS bees. I've been wanting to have Centralab-looking pots made for a while and have gotten a great deal of pushback from manufacturers who aren't interested in aesthetics or apparently my money. I'm probably going to have to order potentiometer components unassembled, modify them with custom dies and tooling, and assemble them here. …which I will do, if that's what it takes.

2013_06_18_IMG_00392.JPG

2013_06_18_IMG_00406.JPG

2013_06_18_IMG_00413.JPG

2013_06_18_IMG_00415.JPG

2013_06_18_IMG_00423.JPG

2013_06_18_IMG_00424.JPG

What do you guys think? …as far as a rough prototype. The aging needs to me completed still which will help hide some inaccuracies in design.

Also, let me know what you think of those knurled switch nuts. I just got those. Those are part of my initial run of parts for approval, made locally for me! :thumb: Dig the smaller indented line, splitting each knurl down the middle. I've only seen one other replica company get that right, and that company's part had other features I didn't find accurate.

Gotta love the NOS rubberized cloth insulator tubing on the cap leads, too. :D I'm such a dork. THAT's the real-deal stuff. Not the waxed or varnished cloth jacked from pushback wire that gets all frayed at the ends and doesn't have the surface look right. It took me several years before I was able to come into some of that tubing. It was all sealed up and hardly discolored yet!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What's that purple stuff mixed in with the solder?

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just curious as how the jack is going to be installed since it's already presoldered...

I'm an amateur when it comes to soldering, I'll be the first one to admit it but...

You don't charge extra to use all that solder, do you? :laugh2:

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
James - Could you post a top and side profile picture of the deep collar nut?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just curious as how the jack is going to be installed since it's already presoldered...

I'm an amateur when it comes to soldering, I'll be the first one to admit it but...

You don't charge extra to use all that solder, do you? :laugh2:

The jack will have to come off to go in a LP, yes. I take them off after aging and testing.

Lots of solder too, yes. I used it to cover up some things that were not "Centralab-correct" on the pots, like the extra vent, and also to hold the little pieces of metal I cut for the outer lugs in place. Not much else I could really do about it, really. There are no pots available that have the correct physical structure of the old Centralabs. I had to work with what's available now. I took each one apart, reshaped the casings, reshaped the wafer, cut new vents and reassembled.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
James - Could you post a top and side profile picture of the deep collar nut?

Ya, Matt. Sure. I'll do that and some of my other hardware in another thread, hopefully this evening, though so as to not detract from the topic at hand here.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya, Matt. Sure. I'll do that and some of my other hardware in another thread, hopefully this evening, though so as to not detract from the topic at hand here.

Buehler?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

lol! I know, I know. You want to check out my nuts. I'll show them. Just been busy getting those harnesses wrapped up and out the door along with an emergency overnight Tele set. I'll try to get my nuts posted tonight.

Here's what the harnesses ended up with:

2013_06_19_IMG_00499.JPG

JPPre72/Post72 3 pickup set, using a real PAF cover and a real chrome pat # cover.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
James, are you bringing your nuts to the Philly show this weekend? :laugh2:

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
The TVT pots I ordered from CVguitars seem to have a better taper than the regular old 500k jobs in my other Paul. Maybe it's cap related?

I think pots are some of the most underused upgrades for most guitars. If I don't swap my studios volume pots for TVTs I wouldn't be averse to tossing a set of these in there.

Vintage pot repros - Genius!

Latest Threads