Best case for a vintage LP junior double cut

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 1959 LP double cut guitar arriving here in a few days. It will be my first vintage les Paul! However I am in need of a case for it. What would you all recommend for something like that. I've read that normal les Paul cases aren't really the best because you have to put a towel or tshirt under the guitar to hold it snugly. Any help pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

miserneil

Reaction score
I use a Hiscox SG style case for my '59 DC Junior, fits great! :)

maverick08

Reaction score
TKL 8824 is what you want.

A bit of a tough find as they're not available in too many places.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
I bought a TKL 7824 for my Gibson Les Paul jr double cut, fit perfectly.

retrobob

Reaction score
Some guys swear by those old 70s/80s vintage gibson "chain saw" cases.

renderit

Reaction score
TKL 8824 is what you want.

A bit of a tough find as they're not available in too many places.
I have bought 3 of them from these folks:

http://www.avalive.com/TKL/8824-LTD/205299/productDetail.php?utm_source=googleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=8824-LTD&gclid=CK2t95yvrMwCFQmqaQodeHcKmA

They seem to always have them in stock and you get it in about a week. But they are kinda weird on my stuff. They say they send emails about the order and shipping, but I never get them. The cases just show up on my doorstep in weird boxes...

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought a TKL 7824 for my Gibson Les Paul jr double cut, fit perfectly.
I have one that looks incredibly similar to those, with Gibson branding and fake snake covering, but I'm 99% sure it was made by TKL. Turned up on eBay in as new condition some years ago, and if I could find another 2 or 3 in the UK I would buy them. Really nice case, but shipping cost from the USA is prohibitive.

Liam

[Actually, the case top is arched, so 8824 is what I have.]

renderit

Reaction score
And make sure you don't get talked into the 8825. My 58 Special had one of those when I bought it and it DOES NOT fit right. Back is not supported (like when you use a regular LP case). Now I have one of those to get rid of...

Chicken Wing

Banned
Reaction score
I find the black Gibson custom shop cases for r8's and r9's perfect for carrying my vintage Les Pauls to gigs.

renderit

Reaction score
I find the black Gibson custom shop cases for r8's and r9's perfect for carrying my vintage Les Pauls to gigs.
Not a Junior or Special without wadding up a t-shirt in back of the upper bout. It will sit on the neck and add more weight to it. I have left my 59 in one for years, but got the 8824 when I found out about them because of the neck issue. If it is being transported and that t-shirt should slide or settle out...not worth it. Get one that fits. I was lucky for years but decided not to push it. And they are only like $124.

demillso

Reaction score
Not a Junior or Special without wadding up a t-shirt in back of the upper bout. It will sit on the neck and add more weight to it. I have left my 59 in one for years, but got the 8824 when I found out about them because of the neck issue. If it is being transported and that t-shirt should slide or settle out...not worth it. Get one that fits. I was lucky for years but decided not to push it. And they are only like $124.
You can make them fit with a little work. Here is a thread I posted about such a project:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/364653-reworking-lp-case-junior.html

renderit

Reaction score
You can make them fit with a little work. Here is a thread I posted about such a project:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/364653-reworking-lp-case-junior.html
That is awesome what you did there, and please don't take this the wrong way. You tackled a problem head on and whupped it. But I figure your time must be worth more than $124 for the case plus maybe 20 shipping! Between needing the wrong case to start say 25 and what? 6-10 hours of work? I love doing things myself, but in case somebody else don't...

demillso

Reaction score
That is awesome what you did there, and please don't take this the wrong way. You tackled a problem head on and whupped it. But I figure your time must be worth more than $124 for the case plus maybe 20 shipping! Between needing the wrong case to start say 25 and what? 6-10 hours of work? I love doing things myself, but in case somebody else don't...
Very true. It was basically a function of already having a nice but smelly case, not finding one that really fit well and just wanting to see if it could be done.

renderit

Reaction score
Very true. It was basically a function of already having a nice but smelly case, not finding one that really fit well and just wanting to see if it could be done.
I am totally cool with it! And boy, do I have some smelly cases. I'll bet I have thrown out 4 or 5 of the Junior type cases. Every one smelled like a litter box.

Latest Threads