Best Budget Dumble Overdrive Pedal??

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I actually have a ceriatone dumble clone but find the OD doesn't sound very dumble like unless you are playing loud. 98% of the time I am not in that situation.

So after wasting tons of time searching I found a few options:

Hermida Audio Zen Drive is one of the earlier Dumblish ODs but costs 200+

The cheap option can come in micro pedals. Apparently the Mooer Rumble Drive and the Hotone Grass come close to the zen.

Then there are tons of more expensive options. I was considering a Wiz pedal since they can take 18v power. I recently bought a joyo power supply that has about 9x 9v and 1 x 18v power. I am trying to create a budget pedal board. I already had a bunch of pedals but have recently acquired an el cheapo wah and boost and delay. I just need 2 pedals now, a dumble like OD and a looper.

The Big Bloom, Wiz Mini D and Dumkudo are the ones I am considering.

Anyone care to weigh in on the budget Dumble pedal options?

BONEDADDY

Reaction score
What's your budget? Some of the best pedals for a Dumble tone are in the range between $150 to $200. I have 3 pedals that come very close. The mad Professor Simble pedal can sound almost identical to OD channel on my #102 clone, but can also be adjusted to get closer to a Carlton tone. These go for about $190. One pedal most people never even consider is the Xotic AC Booster. Maybe it's the name. I recently found out that AC stands for almost clean. Meaning a neutral tone, although it does slightly boost the upper mids. It has plenty of gain, bass and treble controls for versatility. It can be set to sound a lot like a Zendrive. It has tight but full bass. Another one to consider that is very versatile is the Barber Small Fry. Last I knew it was around $150.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to say it: If it were so easy to get a Dumble tone out of a pedal, Dumble amplifiers wouldn't be selling for tens of thousands of dollars. That goes for every other pedals that is supposed to be a "clone" or whatever of every other amplifier. Okay, maybe you get into the parking lot of the ballpark, but there is still NO substitute for hot tubes and bigass transformers.

Before anyone decides to rip me a new asshole, yes, there are some great pedals available where you can get some awesome tones, but I have yet to run across one that makes me exclaim "OMG! It sounds and feels exactly like a whatever."

To the OP, I am sure there are some budget brands that get you somewhere in the territory of Dumbleland and maybe even some that get get a little closer in the booteek world but the bottom line is that you should set your expectations - no pedal is ever going to make you sound like Santana or Mayer or anyone else who plays through Dumbles.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I actually have a Ceriatone OTS. Not a fan of how my OD is set up and I don't want to mod my amp. Robben Ford, Carlton and a few others use pedals in front of their Dumbles. I am currently looking at the Wiz Mini D, Big Bloom, and a few others.

Bonedaddy, just ordered an AC boost clone but still want another layer of OD.

BONEDADDY

Reaction score
Robben Ford does not use an overdrive pedal in front of his Dumble. He only uses it when he is playing through a Fender Super Reverb or Twin Reverb. With his ODS he uses both channels and the PAB. Carlton used to use only the clean channel on his Dumble, and a tube screamer for overdrive. Larry's amp is very different. He gets more overdrive on the clean channel and the OD channel is more like a Marshall OD. Robben's clean channel has much more headroom and is very clean. Over the last few years Carlton has started using his OD channel more, and now he mainly plays through a Bludotone amp based on his Dumble which is a Bluesmaster/Ripper voicing.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own an original Hermida Zendrive. It sounds great for leads but not as good for rhythm.

Kalz

Reaction score
If you can solder, a Shin's dumbloid clone costs roughly 40$ with enclosure.

El Kabong

Reaction score
I have a Ceriatone OTS, Zendrive, Big Bloom, Jetter GS124, Dumkudo & Zenkudo (in one pedal) and an Ethos on order. The hands down best is the Dumkudo for single coils and Zenkudo for humbuckers. The combo rig runs almost $500, but there is nothing that comes close as you can use them individually or together for some serious gain. Stacked with a Klon into a clean amp (Ceriatone or TRRI) it becomes pure sonic nirvana... :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Have you looked on eBay? You might find a 2nd hand Zen Drive on there, but you might also find someone making clones for less. That's how I got my 'Everything Zen' pedal, which is one of my favourite pedals.

Another thing to consider is somewhere like Deluxe Guitars. They get plugged a lot on YouTube by InTheBlues, and they seem to have plenty of pedals. Might be worth asking them for advice, or if you can going there to explore the pedals they think will give you that Dumble sound.

cynic79

Reaction score
If you can solder, a Shin's dumbloid clone costs roughly 40$ with enclosure.

It (and the Big Bloom, which is just a near or straight clone of the Dumbloid) are just modded Tube Screamers, aren't they?

El Kabong

Reaction score
My Big Bloom sounds nothing at all like my Tube Screamer... they have completely different response and the BB accent and jazz/rock switchability make it an entirely different animal...

Kalz

Reaction score
My Big Bloom sounds nothing at all like my Tube Screamer... they have completely different response and the BB accent and jazz/rock switchability make it an entirely different animal...

Just cause it doesnt sound like a tube screamer doesnt mean it's not a modded tube screamer circuit. Probably 50% ( or A LOT more ) of overdrives out there on the market is based on a tubescreamer circuit.

Brocko

Reaction score
I have a clone of the Wampler Euphoria. It sounds decent and has 3 modes, plus a pre gain bass control, which sets it apart from some. You can dial in a few tones. Might be worth a listen while you are researching....

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I ended up going with a Simble OD. Wont have an amp for like 5 weeks to tell if it is good or not! 15% pedals at prymaxevintage. Saves me the exchange rate basically but I still fell for it.

Latest Threads