Best breweries in your area?

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Stayed a couple of weeks in Burton Bradstock a few years ago, the local Pub only had two Palmer's beers on; Dorset Gold and (I think) 200. I ended up drinking the Gold like water the whole time I was down there.

Well, there are only two pubs in Burton now. The Anchor Inn which is a free house and the Three Horseshoes. I worked the bar in the latter from February 2014 - late July 2014. The shoes is a Palmers pub. The Anchor doesn't serve Palmers beer.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a Riverhorse near my work. It's not bad. Most microbreweries have jumped the shark though.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Most microbreweries have jumped the shark though.

That's an interesting thing to say. What do you mean by that? There are 1000's of microbreweries out there. How can you say MOST have jumped the shark? Sounds kinda hipsterish if you ask me. :) You liked them before they were cool right?

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a booming brew industry down here now. Unfortunately, I don't drink too often anymore. I do like Marble brewing and have gone to Turtle Mountain for years.

Local beer tastes better!

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
We have Palmers. It's England's oldest brewery. You'd think by now they'd of learnt to brew decent beer.

I am loth to say this, but I have mentioned an old pal, Roddy Neame, before on here... and I hate to say it, but the Shepherd Neame brewery dates back to 1573, and the Shepherd Neame name to at least 1698.

As an old Dorset family, I would love to have Palmers as the oldest, but sadly they came on-stream in 1794 - but by golly, they do make some excellent bevvies :applause:

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Well the correct answer is my garage :naughty:
9579852830_d9788f2928_b.jpg
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
I am loth to say this, but I have mentioned an old pal, Roddy Neame, before on here... and I hate to say it, but the Shepherd Neame brewery dates back to 1573, and the Shepherd Neame name to at least 1698.

As an old Dorset family, I would love to have Palmers as the oldest, but sadly they came on-stream in 1794 - but by golly, they do make some excellent bevvies :applause:

Well, I did not know that. I get a bit bored of Palmers. They have a stranglehold on all the pubs round here. Every Palmers pub sells exactly the same alcohol. Same wines, beers, spirits, lagers. Gets boring pretty quick. They own a pub in my town, it's a stunning building but it's been closed for 20 years. We have 3 Palmers pubs already so there's not much point having another (population of about 3,500) so they leave it closed. They won't sell it because it stops competition. Palmers also sell their brew at 60% cost to non Palmers pubs, but their own pubs pay full price. Badger beer from Halls & Woodhouse is much nicer. Much bigger range. I think they're Somerset or Devon.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
In Vegas there is a place called Big Dogs Draft House that is good. Otherwise, not sure of any others.

Michigan has a ton. Dragonmeade is one of my favorites, though the beer doesn't go much outside of Michigan.

I'm going to plug a place that I've never been to. Cellarmans in Hazel Park, Mi. It's owned by some friends of a friend, but I trust my friends judgement and hopefully get the word out for those guys.

Rochester Brewery in Rochester, Mi makes the best Red Ale I've ever had.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Well, there are only two pubs in Burton now. The Anchor Inn which is a free house and the Three Horseshoes. I worked the bar in the latter from February 2014 - late July 2014. The shoes is a Palmers pub. The Anchor doesn't serve Palmers beer.

Just had a look on their website. The Horeshoes looks to be in the right place from memory. Has it been done up recently? I remember it looking a bit more tired that it does in the photos.
Burton's a nice little village in a nice area.

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Yes, it's been taken over by new landlords January last year. Palmers spent £100k doing the place up. Burton is a nice village, just a shame about the locals :laugh2:

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michigan has a ton. Dragonmeade is one of my favorites, though the beer doesn't go much outside of Michigan.

Just saw a Michigan commercial on travel channel about the breweries. I hit a couple while I was up there last time. Good stuff!

:thumb:

FUS44

Reaction score
That's an interesting thing to say. What do you mean by that? There are 1000's of microbreweries out there. How can you say MOST have jumped the shark? Sounds kinda hipsterish if you ask me. :) You liked them before they were cool right?

I agree with the "shark" sentiment, but I'd take it down to "some" rather than "most". I know here in PA, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a micro. I'm not a beer snob or hipster, but I do deal with them a lot. But there are also some beers and things brewed into beers.... well, let's just say that sometimes you shouldn't do things just because you can.

kolbi2112

Reaction score
I absolutely love the breweries in my area. Now that I have a handle on drinking in moderation I want to branch out and try some new brews...ones that come recommended of course. What's your favorite local brews? I say local because there's a great chance they aren't that well known, but could be some of the best beer in the world. Maybe I can search them out, might just get lucky. I'm pretty sure I've tried all the well known ones. :D

In my area there are three main breweries that my buddies and I usually frequent...they are:

Ballast Point:

Stahl_LittleItaly_099-web.jpg

I was just at this place a couple of weeks ago, very nice. I live near 30th street in San Diego, which I think is right at the top of the list nationally for its craft beer scene. There are way too many to mention, but the Belching Beaver is probably one of my favorites. Peanut butter milk stout....hmmmmmmm....

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
So jumping the shark means there are too many microbrews? I've never heard anyone complain about variety before. You don't have to buy them all. :) You find the ones you like and drink em, or you explore and try new stuff.

I don't get into the experimental beers too much outside a Rye Pale Ale or something like that. I think because there is so much competition, brewers are experimenting more to one-up each other. It can be innovative, but can also be ummm...crazy?

FUS44

Reaction score
So jumping the shark means there are too many microbrews? I've never heard anyone complain about variety before. You don't have to buy them all. :) You find the ones you like and drink em, or you explore and try new stuff.

I don't get into the experimental beers too much outside a Rye Pale Ale or something like that. I think because there is so much competition, brewers are experimenting more to one-up each other. It can be innovative, but can also be ummm...crazy?

Your second comment is more what I was getting at. The "one-up manship".
I also have a little different perspective as I deal with beer reps scrambling for market share. They want me to buy them all! I guess the microbrew/gastro pub, in this area seems like the business idea de rigueur. Many have already come and gone. My area is a bit saturated. And we're still trying to get rid of Pumpkin Stouts of various brands.....

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Ha! Fair enough...I am but a consumer of fine beers. :) I get to pick and choose as I please and really appreciate a large variety.

Cheers!

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I guess Firestone is the one people would recognize. Figueroa Mountain is another gaggle of local yokels, but I've not tried it. I'm dry (-ish) now, now, anyway, the occasional setback notwithstanding.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score

Your second comment is more what I was getting at. The "one-up manship".
I also have a little different perspective as I deal with beer reps scrambling for market share. They want me to buy them all! I guess the microbrew/gastro pub, in this area seems like the business idea de rigueur. Many have already come and gone. My area is a bit saturated. And we're still trying to get rid of Pumpkin Stouts of various brands.....

If you guys start a new thread and call it "Boutique Beers", you could really burn this mother to the ground....
;)

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I love drinking Steam Whistle Pilsner. The brewery is directly south of the Rogers Centre in downtown Toronto.

P_TheFleet.jpg