Best and Worst Years For LP Standards

David Garner

Reaction score
Jack-shit wrong with that period...

2009 '08 Standard, one of my two regular gigging guitars

:dude:
I should clarify -- I don't think they're bad guitars. I liked the one I played fine in terms of quality and tone. It's just not what I'm after in terms of a Les Paul. If they're your thing, they're perfectly good guitars.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did you get that off the discount rack? They printed it backward! :laugh2:
You know, us leftys have never heard that kind of comment before...

No seriously, you really are a superb comedian! Give up your day-job and get on the road, Man!

Never mind, console yourself with being in an anonymous club of billions. I'm happy to be in a somewhat exclusive club...

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
You know, us leftys have never heard that kind of comment before...

No seriously, you really are a superb comedian! Give up your day-job and get on the road, Man!

Never mind, console yourself with being in an anonymous club of billions. I'm happy to be in a somewhat exclusive club...
Where’s the Jr? That’s my fave of yours.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Don't forget my dad on that list.

He hated our gravy ladle. View attachment 461735
Don't get me started... And scissors are the worst. Have to use my right hand or else the paper just flops around.

By sheer luck (or idiocy), I didn't even consider the fact that I'm a lefty when I went to buy my first guitar.

So now I'm a lefty who plays righty and enjoys being able to walk into a store and play 99% of the guitars in there.

Badly.

Wailing

Reaction score
I have 3 2016's that are fantastic (Tribute 60's SG Junior and Les Paul Junior) and a 2002 Les Paul Standard that is absolutely beautiful so... I think there are good and bad in all years.. I was able to try them out.. but its so difficult when you need to buy online... good luck in your search

ARandall

Reaction score
^ People have tried to advertise '66 Les Pauls before......

And not even mistaking mid 70's guitars where they used up all the older 6 digit ser#'s that got missed.

ToneDigger

Reaction score
ignore marketing and try to catch a Traditional 2013. In this year they started making a non chambered bodies and i have encountered many of them with single piece mahogany. The only upgrade i would do is to swap the pots with 50s wiring kit with correct pots values (~500K).

PauloQS

Reaction score
ignore marketing and try to catch a Traditional 2013. In this year they started making a non chambered bodies and i have encountered many of them with single piece mahogany. The only upgrade i would do is to swap the pots with 50s wiring kit with correct pots values (~500K).
What marketing are you talking about? I believe one of the differences between Standard ‘50s and past traditionals is the neck profile, which received no attention whatsoever from the marketing department.

If you already have a 2013 Traditional, but wanted the correct pot values, then it’d make sense just swapping them out. However, I believe the 2017 Traditional had the correct ~500k pots, hand wiring, and on top of that they had ABR-1 bridges (mounted on studs that screwed to bushings). So if that is what you want, provided similar prices, a 2017 or later would be a better alternative, no?

Latest Threads