Best aftermarket PIO caps?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the guts of my Traditional and am going down the rabbit hole of caps. I've been reading a lot here the past few days and was hoping for opinions on caps/wiring harnesses from these specific companies;

- Jonseyblues
- Creamtone
- Mojotone
- Emerson

I do my own electronic work, so I could wire it up myself, however I'm noticing that getting this stuff up to Canada is basically as expensive as just buying it pre-wired from the folks at these companies. They all offer PIO caps (LUXE, Vitamin T, etc).

So what do you guys think?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the guts of my Traditional and am going down the rabbit hole of caps. I've been reading a lot here the past few days and was hoping for opinions on caps/wiring harnesses from these specific companies;

- Jonseyblues
- Creamtone
- Mojotone
- Emerson

I do my own electronic work, so I could wire it up myself, however I'm noticing that getting this stuff up to Canada is basically as expensive as just buying it pre-wired from the folks at these companies. They all offer PIO caps (LUXE, Vitamin T, etc).

So what do you guys think?
Sourcing your own caps will be cheaper for sure without sacrificing quality. Personally, I think the VIPots 550k potentiometers are the best out there. Try these guys for pre-fab harnesses:

When I recently rewired, I used a 0.01 uf Brazilian PIO and a 0.012 Sprague Mylar BB in parallel:

CAC60662-E8B7-49FA-83AD-BBA6E9F2CF83.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
You can go to ebay and find russian K40Y caps pretty cheap.
A whole heap of values about......Having different values for bridge and neck is a good option. The pots are also well worth looking a position based values too. Something 400-450k for the bridge and 550k for the neck are good for minimising the issues each position have.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
First off, Creamtone is having problems, search for a recent thread about it.

Personally I would consider Jonesyblues.

https://www.jonesyblues.com/store/p_1141031/premium-les-paul-wiring-package-deal

You can actually chat with him about the tone you're looking for, the style you play, etc.
He will recommend the right combination to achieve what you're aiming for.

In the end, it wouldn't be worth it for me to do all the research, get the parts, install / solder
everything. A quick order and problem solved. That's perfect!

Musha Ring

Reaction score

Personally I would consider Jonesyblues.

https://www.jonesyblues.com/store/p_1141031/premium-les-paul-wiring-package-deal

You can actually chat with him about the tone you're looking for, the style you play, etc.

In the end, it wouldn't be worth it for me to do all the research, get the parts, install / solder
Just finished reading all that. Yikes. Thank you for the heads up.

Been reading good things about Jonseyblues. Will keep up the research.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Sourcing your own caps will be cheaper for sure without sacrificing quality. Personally, I think the VIPots 550k potentiometers are the best out there. Try these guys for pre-fab harnesses:

When I recently rewired, I used a 0.01 uf Brazilian PIO and a 0.012 Sprague Mylar BB in parallel:

View attachment 537142
That's pretty reasonable, and easily purchased through Reverb. Thanks for the link!

Musha Ring

Reaction score

I forgot to ask, does he only sell what's up on the site, or can one request something different? Like the harness in that link you posted, but with a .015 or .018 in the neck?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can go to ebay and find russian K40Y caps pretty cheap.
A whole heap of values about......Having different values for bridge and neck is a good option. The pots are also well worth looking a position based values too. Something 400-450k for the bridge and 550k for the neck are good for minimising the issues each position have.
Yeah, I got 5 sets for £40 and they look cool, they kinda look vintage in a way that BB do not, to me anyway. £4 each as opposed to £35 each? No brainier.

Last edited:

mmaister

Reaction score
I bought Emersons, later i found that they are basically Russian K40Ys wrapped in sexy bumblebee colours. They sound great, but bit pricey for what they are.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought Emersons, later i found that they are basically Russian K40Ys wrapped in sexy bumblebee colours. They sound great, but bit pricey for what they are.
I suppose in could encase in plastic and paint bands on lol.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Guys, don't waste your money. I fell for that PIO legend about 10 years ago and I am laughing now at how stupid I was back then. I have a jar full of Russian PIO caps and they don't go into any of my guitars. Do you know know why the electronics industry ditched them? No, not because the lizards decided to make good tone accessible only to a chosen few. The true reason is that PIO caps are vastly inferior in terms of service life, reliability, tolerances and performance. The first cap your guitar signal will see in your amp is made of polyester film. Thank God for that.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, don't waste your money. I fell for that PIO legend about 10 years ago and I am laughing now at how stupid I was back then. I have a jar full of Russian PIO caps and they don't go into any of my guitars. Do you know know why the electronics industry ditched them? No, not because the lizards decided to make good tone accessible only to a chosen few. The true reason is that PIO caps are vastly inferior in terms of service life, reliability, tolerances and performance. The first cap your guitar signal will see in your amp is made of polyester film. Thank God for that.
Here's the thing: If you are thrifty, you can find well made PIO caps for the same price as good film caps. At that point, it's a matter of preference and not snake-oil.

I do agree, however, that no one should be paying more than a few bucks for PIO caps.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I was in a jam and needed caps quickly, so I ordered these Mallorys from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/Mallory-150M-Guitar-Tone-Capacitors/dp/B01BKS5FQ4/ref=sr_1_13dchild=1&keywords=.022+capacitor&qid=1620822096&sr=8-13

…know what? They sounded better than the Mojotone Vitamin T that I had originally And they’re small.
This is exactly the kind of caps which is popular in amp building. One of the best actually. I know, because I build my own clones of classic marshal amps. Sadly, all the beautiful PIO cap mojo will be destroyed by a bunch of cheep and ugly coupling caps made of polyester film. Coupling caps are way, way more important for a guitar signal than the cap in the guitar cavity which is used basically as a dumpster for excessive high frequencies.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience comparing Vitamin Ts with Vitamin Qs?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience comparing Vitamin Ts with Vitamin Qs?
The Vitamin T caps look like rebranded versions of these from Small Bear:

I used these in my guitar, paralleled with the Mylar Bees.

Frankly, if you disregard any of the opinions about Film vs. PIO, etc. I think the Sprague Vitamin Qs may be one of the most reliable, well built caps that have ever existed. That is just my opinion having handled and used them in the past. They hold thier value well over all these years and do not leak.

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
I would say anything that reads the value you need will be the exact same thing, but that's not that fun of an answer.

It's cheaper though, and once you realize value is all that matters, you get ease of mind and much more time to play.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest Threads