Besides Max and Derrig, who makes the most desirable burst replica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Well if the tone of the MLP thread was anything like that one, no wonder it got pulled.:shock:

Yep, pretty nasty break but there's always the risk of that happening no matter how well packed. Hopefully both parties managed to resolve this in the end.

I do know a little more than I am saying & the packing was (I believe) woeful.

I have shipped ~ 35 Guitars around the world & have never had an issue when they were packed correctly.

If the Luthier packed it & the packing job was woeful he needs to man up.

My understanding is that this Replica was repaired & sold, since replaced with another from another etc. etc.

Just read the owner's comments in his reply to a number of questions.

Food for thought but one builder I deal with said, if you do not like it send it back for a full refund as long as you cover shipping both ways. How about that for backup service.

The other builder I deal with has supplied me with exemplary back up service, if & when required.

Lastly, the builder I deal with in Sydney, will only pass the Guitar on when it is 100% perfect.

Hence I vote with my feet.............only these 3 get my hard earned $$$$$.

Having said that there are many happy customers from ALL builders, so everyone can make up there own mind which way to swing (so to speak :laugh2:).

:cheers:

winexprt

Reaction score
Well if the tone of the MLP thread was anything like that one, no wonder it got pulled.:shock:

Yep, pretty nasty break but there's always the risk of that happening no matter how well packed. Hopefully both parties managed to resolve this in the end.

I don't want to get too into it here, but IIRC from that thread last summer it wasn't actually sent like that (i.e.: poorly packed) from Gil Yaron. The person who ordered the guitar from Gil had it sent to a re-shipper, who then turned around and sent it to him somewhere in the Middle East where he was residing. If I'm wrong on the details someone please correct me.

There were accusations back & forth and it indeed did get ugly. It was a royal mess.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I don't want to get too into it here, but IIRC from that thread last summer it wasn't actually sent like that (i.e.: poorly packed) from Gil Yaron. The person who ordered the guitar from Gil had it sent to a re-shipper, who then turned around and sent it to him somewhere in the Middle East where he was residing. If I'm wrong on the details someone please correct me.

There were accusations back & forth and it indeed did get ugly. It was a royal mess.

Thanks for posting this. :thumb:

The owner might well end up posting here as he'll be able to confirm exactly what happened.

The missing Old Growth Mahogany is what I was WAY more interested in.

:cheers:

Busso

Reaction score
I have to admit I didn't read the whole way through the thread at Rig-Talk but so long as it was replaced/repaired then that's the main thing. Anyone with that much money invested in a guitar only to see it turn up as damaged goods is bound to be upset to say the least.

The last time I sent a guitar out I packed it up at my work with heavy duty packaging yet the guy I sent it to said it looked like it had been drop tested from a very high bridge. Luckily when he unpacked it all the guitar was fine.:thumb:

asapmaz

Reaction score
Guys, let's please not turn this thread into a smear campaign. The reputation of the builders mentioned in this thread depend heavily on what's reported (whether accurately or inaccurately) so let's be careful what we say without knowing both sides of the story. And, believe me there is always two sides to the story. I've read Gil's side and it definitely reinforced his honesty and dignity as a person and a luthier. Let's just keep the comments to their work product, which we cannot argue with. They're all amazing and we're lucky to be in a time of such high quality work and toneful instruments.

Jean Christophe

Reaction score
Guys, let's please not turn this thread into a smear campaign. The reputation of the builders mentioned in this thread depend heavily on what's reported (whether accurately or inaccurately) so let's be careful what we say without knowing both sides of the story. And, believe me there is always two sides to the story. I've read Gil's side and it definitely reinforced his honesty and dignity as a person and a luthier. Let's just keep the comments to their work product, which we cannot argue with. They're all amazing and we're lucky to be in a time of such high quality work and toneful instruments.

Well said. Gil is a true gentlemen and for me he is doing the best replicas today.

Gil has nothing to do with that broken guitar.

Jean Christophe

Jean Christophe

Reaction score
and as usual some people talk without knowing the true story of that broken guitar...

Jean Christophe

Busso

Reaction score
I think that's the danger when a thread is closed. It's in the interest of everybody if the information is there as most people are capable of forming their own opinions on these matters.

As I have already said though, if the tone of that thread was anything like the one at Rig-Talk then it's perhaps understandable why it was closed in the first place.

Reaction score
4ae98a5ab90281005f5d966407c1132a_zpsda1d3c2d.jpg

I have played builds by several people mentioned here (and many not, including ones by those who choose to not advertise that they built a replica) and all have been great.....but one builder just seems to be a cut above, to me..... Here is a recent build by Gil where he just nailed my request and reference. The plan was to relic it, but it turned out so beautiful we decided to just age the parts for a "under the bed in its case" look......

I won't say much about the thread that is referenced above, but I do know more than most on this one and Gil went above and beyond in what was offered to rectify, even when the circumstances didn't really dictate he should ( again, no reason digging it all up).

My interaction with him on several builds has been exceptional, and his customer service is phenomenal.....even calling me unexpectedly multiple times ( he in Israel, while I am in the US) as opposed to emailing, when I had an adjustment question or needed advice.

There are some great choices for top of the line vintage replica builds, so we are all blessed to have these options.....but my money will go to Gil Yaron...

Sterling # Sound

Reaction score
It's a pity that that shipping thread came up again. It was messy and a story with two sides. Let's hope there's not an agenda but I find if a pity that it's making THIS really nice thread turn into a mud slinging contest.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think this thread has worn out it's welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads