Besides Max and Derrig, who makes the most desirable burst replica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asapmaz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
To the extent you can name names, besides now retired Peter Max Baranet and the late Kris Derrig, who makes the most desirable burst replicas nowadays? Not necessarily the most accurate but the most desirable (aka highest dollar-fetching). Few would argue that Derrig replicas are nowhere near as accurate as what some of the luthiers can create nowadays but few could also argue the prices they can fetch due to celebrity association and rarity. All opinions welcome. There was a thread a bit ago that had said Gil Yaron had cracked the code...any others in the same league...Bartlett??
If Rist were to make them, would his fetch the prices Max's have been fetching over the years?
Let's have fun with this one guys. Hope it doesn't turn ugly. :fingersx:

olwanger

Reaction score
While I'm not qualified to judge their abilities my vote nevertheless goes for Buildaburst.
The guy really knows his stuff and is always continually learning and upgrading his already awesome build knowledge and skills.

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score
I think Rist would be pretty valuable. I wouldn't doubt he has made at least 1 replica though. Who knows? :).

Bartlett's used never come up. Buildaburst seems to be gaining popularity though only 1 person so far has come forward with owning one. I like MCi replicas though everyone here hates Scott - his guitars are decent but not perfect, in anyway.

pdoodek

Reaction score
There is so much replica builders nowadays, that it's hard to tell who is building the best ones - times have changed; everyone can get almost perfect templates of many different bursts and build 99,9% correct replica, even with new hardware and electronics that looks like vintage; everyone can build a Les Paul Sunburst 20XX.

But people, who are and will be famous (maybe even like MAX):

1. Gil Yaron - some complains about his choice of top colours, but still he is the best known replica builder that makes replicas today (at least in the web world ;)
2. Bartlett - getting more fame, he (or his workshop) makes amazing relic job, maybe the best in industry for Les Pauls.

There are also Buildaburst/BurstBuilder and "Italian Job" (thread) - well known in this forum.

Less accurate would be Guitar Clinic f.e. and of course high-end japanese brands - Combat, Bacchus/Momose, Navigator, G'Seven - which are in fact handbuild replicas (or 99% copies), often for less then you must pay private builder.

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
Max is reportedly no longer making replicas & what truth to that there is I don't know, and Derrig has been dead for quite some time ........

of the current builders I would be interested in playing a 'buildaburst' example as I have seen these do actually have the correct (looking) head stock shape, logo, and brand name, which would seem to qualify these as replicas.

it would also be interesting to see comments from those that have actually played replicas from certain makers, or that own these examples, as a person with first hand experience will be the only one(s) to truly offer real insight into this, and not just heresay .......

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Buildaburst for sure but his prices have doubled in 6 months with only one owned example seen on the forum thus far.
Maybe once we see more but I hope his prices don't triple by then ;)

pdoodek

Reaction score
Buildaburst for sure but his prices have doubled in 6 months with only one owned example seen on the forum thus far.
Maybe once we see more but I hope his prices don't triple by then ;)

he posted lately that he wants 4k for his work in Buildaburst thread (if I understood him correctly). Does it mean that he wanted 2k or now his rep. costs 8k ? ;)

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
No he had the guitars on eBay finished without hardware for, what I recall, around 2200 BIN so with hardware they are now $1700 more.
I think he originally charged close to 3 with hardware.

decoy205

Reaction score
For the op's question of commanding price? I believe the UK builder is going to command the highest retail price these days.

I have seen a couple of Bartlett's come up for sale they are valuable. But the highest prices I've seen for replicas on the market recently besides Max's have been guitars built by a well known and talented UK guy.

If Roman had a replica go up for sale I'm sure it would fetch a premium price as well but he is out of that game.

-John

pdoodek

Reaction score
No he had the guitars on eBay finished without hardware for, what I recall, around 2200 BIN so with hardware they are now $1700 more.
I think he originally charged close to 3 with hardware.

still 4k for accurate replica, if it plays well (probably not old growth but whatever), it's a steal compared to Gibby.

Bartlett's were sometime ago listed on his website for over 8k, so there is a difference ;)

Big John

set and forget
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the "most desirable" replicas being made today are being done by people who wish to remain annonymous. Their customers know who they are, and that's just fine with them. Threads like this one will never produce any real names because these guys DON'T WANT their work to be public knowledge. There are a ton of pro players and Les Paul supergeeks that get replicas made for them all the time, by people who cater to just them.

pdoodek

Reaction score
In my opinion, the "most desirable" replicas being made today are being done by people who wish to remain annonymous. Their customers know who they are, and that's just fine with them. Threads like this one will never produce any real names because these guys DON'T WANT their work to be public knowledge. There are a ton of pro players and Les Paul supergeeks that get replicas made for them all the time, by people who cater to just them.

If you have templates made from few bursts, new vintage accurate hardware, plenty of P.A.F. handwound replicas and even 30 years old wood there is little difference between replicas from different builders (handbuilding and aiming in 100% replicas). Of course luthier skills are important, but today it all comes to aging abilities and luck in finding great eastern maple wood for tops. It all looked different in times of Derrig and MAX. Everything laid in their hands and minds, no HD photos, no internet researches, no tons of parts, glues, paints etc.; no CAD for templates and so on.

In fact only original burst's hardware and electronics can make the only big difference (in "attractiveness" and price).

alexanderja

Reaction score
Bartletts burst replicas are by far the most accurate, well built, best aged, sort after burst-like, 'burst a'like' replicas ever built ...
.. and they will be worth an absolute absurd fortune before long ...
... and everyone who owns one is an ice cool, hembre, babe magnet.

In my slightly biased opinion :naughty:

Big John

set and forget
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What would be cool is if there was a "Replica Build-Off", along the lines of the Biker Build-Off episodes on the Discovery channel.

dompolito

Reaction score

Now heres someone who knows what they're talking about. I couldnt agree more BJ

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Hey guys,
To the extent you can name names, besides now retired Peter Max Baranet and the late Kris Derrig, who makes the most desirable burst replicas nowadays? Not necessarily the most accurate but the most desirable (aka highest dollar-fetching). Few would argue that Derrig replicas are nowhere near as accurate as what some of the luthiers can create nowadays but few could also argue the prices they can fetch due to celebrity association and rarity. All opinions welcome. There was a thread a bit ago that had said Gil Yaron had cracked the code...any others in the same league...Bartlett??
If Rist were to make them, would his fetch the prices Max's have been fetching over the years?
Let's have fun with this one guys. Hope it doesn't turn ugly. :fingersx:

Tom Bartlett.

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the ones from the guy in Arizona myself. :cool:

:wave: Hey HB,

:hyper: If its not made by Gibson it can't have the Gibson logo on the head stock!!!

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
Why are high end "replicas" considered the domain of well skilled luthiers?

Weren't the originals assembly-line slapped together by blue collar workers who could just have easily been stamping out cereal boxes 9-5 at the Corn Flakes plant down the road?

These guitars weren't built by magicians, just regular people, pumping out a product for a day's wage. I'd go so far as to say that making a set of tuners is the most complicated part of making a guitar, and every builder outsources that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads