Belated NGD, all the mods are done. 2016 Trad

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
So I bought this 2016 Trad about a month ago with a broken neck for a steal. I glued the neck and did a bit on the finish to get it looking nice. That thread is here: http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/headstock-break-repair.396201/#post-8329458

Next, I set to tweaking things to get it just the way I like 'em:
  • PIO caps/50's wiring. The pots from Gibson were pretty nice on this one. I left them in.
  • Amber top hats instead of the speed knobs.
  • Aluminum nickel plated tail piece
  • Fralin True PAF in the bridge with raw nickel cover
  • I swapped the 57 classic in the neck for another 57 classic with a raw nickel cover to match the Fralin. (Can't stand chrome myself)
  • Pointers on the knobs
  • Custom spec high pickups rings. I anchor my pinkie on the bridge pup ring, and I'm addicted to the nice high pup rings. More for my pinkie to grab onto.
  • Pickguard and poker chip gone (into the case).
  • Locking grovers.
Still need a graph tech bridge and a plain truss rod cover. Maybe a bigsby. I've been really enjoying the one I put on my standard. The way the top seam stands out so much drives me a little crazy. Maybe a big B7 on the top would alleviate some of that...

Also of note to me is that this Traditional has a cherry gloss back unlike the natural satin backs I have seen lately on Traditionals. I've been really loving this 2016. The fit and finish is up there. Not quite on par with my old R8, but REAL close. The frets/binding/PLEK is perfect on it. All of my other Gibsons are older than this one, and this is the only 2016 I've ever played, but I'm VERY impressed with the QC on this particular guitar. Come with a very nice (also better than I'd seen from Gibson) brown and pink interior case. FWIW there's my input on this thing.

In the meantime here are some pics.
IMG_20170904_224026223~2.jpg
IMG_20170914_214113306~2.jpg
IMG_20170914_223300144~2.jpg

Last edited:

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned out really nice :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Cool! Great rescue! I just checked out the repair thread. WOW! Can't even tell it was ever broken! Outstanding.

BUT... with no poker chip, how will you be able to tell what pickup you're on! ;)

Congrats on a killer job and a killer guitar! :cheers:

Eric R

Reaction score
Great job and nice guitar!!!

BUT... I agree with 1all's ... there should be a poker chip. it's now lookin' like a babe without tits.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's been a real joy. Sorry, but I can't stand unnecessary plastics on my guitars. ; )

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply stunning...

I love your taste....the pup rings will make @Nippon happy...

Bet she sounds awesome...

Congrats on a stunner

-Chris

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
'16 LPTD+ in LB? HNGD!

What's not to like...?!
(Not that I'm in *any* way biased about this... :cool2: )

Nice job on the original repairs too.

She looks great -- and if the sounds and tones match the looks then you're well sorted!!

:applause:

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
It's been killing it for me. This is one I have fallen in love with. It's staying!

Latest Threads