Behringer Pedals

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Good day to all!

I've long bashed the Behringer line, based on using some really shitty gear they made years ago. However, the company has supposedly made some changes and they are now making affordable gear. Our band uses their X18 as our mixing board, other than a steep learning curve to get at all the features, I have to admit it works well.

Made me wonder about their pedals, and then I stumbled across this video. I find the guy kind of amusing, and he obviously knows his way around a circuit. Are these plastic shells a really cheap solution? Apparently, the Behringer EQ pedal is a direct knock-off of the
Boss GE-7.

Thoughts?

garybaldy

Reaction score
I recently found this video as well. I have the GDI 21 ready for when my gigging amp fails - couldn't really justify buying the Sansamp for just that eventuality.
Also have the ADI 21 for amped up acoustic. Never been used yet as I normally go acoustic with my acoustic!
And last but not least the Heavy Distortion - poor man's Boss Mega Distortion. I've never done a comparison but the HD is pretty good at what it does. I've gigged with it but it's currently not on my board.
I think they are a very usable option like if you want eg. a Boss HM2 on a budget.
There are definitely some great cheap pedals to be found.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
Good day to all!

I've long bashed the Behringer line, based on using some really shitty gear they made years ago. However, the company has supposedly made some changes and they are now making affordable gear. Our band uses their X18 as our mixing board, other than a steep learning curve to get at all the features, I have to admit it works well.

Made me wonder about their pedals, and then I stumbled across this video. I find the guy kind of amusing, and he obviously knows his way around a circuit. Are these plastic shells a really cheap solution? Apparently, the Behringer EQ pedal is a direct knock-off of the
Boss GE-7.

Thoughts?

Josh Scott (JHS Pedals) sure knows about the circuits, so I'll take his words for the similarity in that respect.

I had a Behringer copy of the Boss Blues overdrive (looks like they don't make that anymore), It sounded fairly good but was a bit noisy, but I never bonded with the cheap plastic housing. The quality may have improved since.

On the positive I have a Behringer USB mixer that have worked flawless for years.

When Behringers owner bought TC Electronic in 2015, some Behringer pedals was improved by the folks at TC and sold in different housings under the TC name (Rusty Fuzz, Skysurfer Reverb etc.).
I doubt the effects sold under the Behringer brand have gone through the same treatment.

However the Behringer EQ700 is so cheap (at least over here) that you can buy 4 of them for the price of a GE-7.
So I think the EQ700 is good for trying an EQ pedal or two in your chain :)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I recently found this video as well. I have the GDI 21 ready for when my gigging amp fails - couldn't really justify buying the Sansamp for just that eventuality.
Also have the ADI 21 for amped up acoustic. Never been used yet as I normally go acoustic with my acoustic!
And last but not least the Heavy Distortion - poor man's Boss Mega Distortion. I've never done a comparison but the HD is pretty good at what it does. I've gigged with it but it's currently not on my board.
I think they are a very usable option like if you want eg. a Boss HM2 on a budget.
There are definitely some great cheap pedals to be found.
I appreciate that he could be arguing against his own best wishes. Mucho respect for the manufacturer who can appreciate the competition.

sonar

Reaction score
I kinda hate Behringer, but I'm THE minority in the rehearsal space.

We have a Behringer PA mixing board that's blown up a couple times, sounds like sh*t and will screech if you look at it wrong. A certain bandmate loves the thing, and not wanting to fight about it I just shake my head and play guitar.

Another musician that shares the room has a whole pedalboard of Behringer. One of the pedals, the Super Fuzz, is a clone of the Boss Hyperfuzz and sonically a dead ringer. We A/B'd the two pedals and there is almost 0 difference. Apart from that it's in a plastic case and wouldn't trust it if I was touring.

The whole pedal cloning thing has so much grey area and even a guy like Mike Matthews, a guy I've always admired, the guy who invented the Big Muff, hung out with Hendrix when he was Jimmy James, took on both the NYC and Russian mobs, has jumped on the clone bandwagon...

that said I have little respect for a company like Behringer that has no originality, as far as I know never did R&D on an original design and blatantly rips others off while producing the lowest common denominator product.

studio1087

Reaction score
I bought a metal cased Behringer compressor and I disassembled it and repainted the box once when I was homebound after a surgery.. I painted this guy onto the box and the light on the pedal is his center eye. It's a funny paperweight now.

I digress...….

The board is a brittle plastic board and the pots are plastic and they are glued to the board. There are no washers or nuts screwed around the pot shafts to secure them to the top of the project box. The pots are simply glued to the board and they stick up through two holes in the project box without being secured to the box in any way. If a pot gets bumped or turned with any force you are bending the spot where they are glued to the board. You can bend the board.

The 1/4" input and output jacks are plastic and they are molded into the same board. The input jacks are not secured to the project box in any way. No washers; no nut.....just plastic tubes that line up with 2 holes in the box..

Everything on the board is secured by sloppy plastic solder.

Behringer and Bugera are the same company. They backwards engineer existing products in a way that they can offer cheap knock offs. I think that they offer the opposite of quality.

I have a Deluxe Reverb and I love it. A DR costs about $1100 new. The Bugera V22 is a Deluxe Reverb knock off offered new for $400.. Go to Guitar Center and reach into the rear cabinet of a V22 and put you finger tips on the chassis frame.......bend it. You can bend the chassis frame like a torn soda can.

Reverse engineered to be cheap as hell in price. That's their game. Cheap is their value proposition. Buy our crap; it's cheap!

I would encourage anyone who is looking at Behringer or Bugera to chill, sav their money for a couple more months and buy a quality keeper. It's like going to Walmart and buying a $9.00 pair of blue jeans. Don't!! Don't eat those 99 cent boxes of chicken nuggets from Burger King either. Be careful out there people! :facepalm:

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
With todays technology, a circuit is a circuit.

I have no doubt that Behringer can sound 'just like' (x).

. . . . But for how long.
Until it breaks, or parts wear poorly, or the cheap circuit parts just blow.

I used to consider DigiTech in the same boat years ago.
Their RP series of peddles were horribly made. But they cleaned up their act.

Today I own a number of DigiTech peddles, and would recommend them to others.

sonar

Reaction score
Once a pedal geek becomes savvy there isn't really a need for Behringer, Joyo or whatever Chinese knockoff brand to be a factor. Used Boss, EHX, MXR and closeout or discontinued products like Dod/Digitech effects offer plenty in the $40-$80 range that are better built, usually will stand the tests of time and abuse while holding resale value.

You might even make a buck or two. Not that long ago you couldn't give away a Boss Heavy Metal, Hyperfuzz and to a lesser degree MIJ pedals like the DS-1 and CE-2. Now check their value.

studio1087

Reaction score
Forgive me. Gotta show of my Behringer pedal. It’s their Dyna Comp knock off. It’s amazing how surgery and pain meds and having lots or odd paint in the garage can inspire someone who’s stuck at home for two weeks. I made the pedal switch part of his utility belt. Best use of a Behringer pedal ever!

Yah....I did it all by myself! Nailed it!.....pardon my odd sense of humor. It was fun.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Once a pedal geek becomes savvy there isn't really a need for Behringer, Joyo or whatever Chinese knockoff brand to be a factor. Used Boss, EHX, MXR and closeout or discontinued products like Dod/Digitech effects offer plenty in the $40-$80 range that are better built, usually will stand the tests of time and abuse while holding resale value.

You might even make a buck or two. Not that long ago you couldn't give away a Boss Heavy Metal, Hyperfuzz and to a lesser degree MIJ pedals like the DS-1 and CE-2. Now check their value.
I can't knock Joyo and Mooer for making excellent clones in a tiny package.

Brocko

Reaction score
The pots are simply glued to the board and they stick up through two holes in the project box without being secured to the box in any way. If a pot gets bumped or turned with any force you are bending the spot where they are glued to the board. You can bend the board.

The 1/4" input and output jacks are plastic and they are molded into the same board. The input jacks are not secured to the project box in any way. No washers; no nut.....just plastic tubes that line up with 2 holes in the box..

Everything on the board is secured by sloppy plastic solder.
There is no such thing as 'plastic soilder'. They are soldered to the board like every other pedal and then i would assume reinforced with glue.

Although looking at online screenshots, they are not glued. Its probably a bit of flux paste left on the board. Behringer screw the boards in place and the components are soldered to the board.

As long as you are careful, it you have one sitting on a board, it should be relatively fine.

Last edited:

freefrog

Reaction score
I have a Behringer direct box that I find pretty good (Ultra G).

Among pedals, I had their harmonizer: the US600.

The effect itself was rather good and versatile if we forget a few discussible design choices (stereo output dividing the output level, harmonizing scale with "quirks").

The problem was the inner input/output buffer: too much distortion and noise, not enough respect of the dynamics.

Cheap FX's are good as long as they are true bypass, IMHO.

For this reason among others, I largely prefer the Mooer's that I've here, FWIW (knock off or not, some are the only ones to be small enough for my crowded big PB with +/- 20 effects).

YMMV.

lakeburst

Reaction score
Very underrated OD pedal. the VT999 "Vintage Tube Monster" is a real tube preamp/OD.
IMPORTANT: The tube it comes with is crap, change it (I use a JJ) and get an excellent tube high gain OD!

sonar

Reaction score
As long as you are careful, it you have one sitting on a board, it should be relatively fine.
Never underestimate the boot wearing, clod guitarist on stage. I've destroyed a pedal or two in my day. One even fought back, ending with me wiping out. Not my best look.

penguinchit

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order a Behringer tuner and fuzz. Both are cheap enough to not worry and I won't be gigging. It's a safe way for me to see if I like fuzz without making a big investment and the tuner is an easy secondary for the B rig.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order a Behringer tuner and fuzz. Both are cheap enough to not worry and I won't be gigging. It's a safe way for me to see if I like fuzz without making a big investment and the tuner is an easy secondary for the B rig.
Make sure to give us a review!