Beginner Ukulele Overload!

Lauricopi

Reaction score
My brain is going to explode. I've read far too much and now have almost no idea what to consider for my ukulele journey. Please help!
I'm in the USA, am comfortable spending around $150 with set-up (maybe as much as $200), and am sure I want either concert or tenor.
I have a decent musical background, but not a note with strummed instruments. My fingers are fairly long and thin. Did I mention my brain is about to explode due to beginner ukulele overload?

tzd

Reaction score
I know nothing about uke's myself, but if I were to get one, I think I would trust this:

Dilver

Reaction score
If you’re a guitar player, it’s actually pretty simple if you just think about a uke as the 4 high strings of a guitar. So just use all the chord shapes that you would on a guitar as if the low E and A were missing. Its a different tuning, though, so a D chord shape is G chord On ukulele.

As far as body sizes go, a Concert size is a nice standard size to start with.

Wagster

Reaction score
Yea....if ukes are causing you stress, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Do less thinking and more playing. If yer not having fun yer doing it wrong.

For your first uke....I'd stick with the Kala brand and the concert size. Pick out any Kala uke that fits your budget. Don't fret over it, all worried about this feature or that feature. Pick the one that looks pretty to ya and be done with it. Now, download a fat songbook that has a gajillion songs you've already heard of, sit down and play.

D'tar

Reaction score
I have a KALA concert that I take everywhere. Bougth all the kids KALA supranos. Surely get a concert or tenor. The wife has a LUNA which sounds really sweet. All were set up myself as the nut action was a wee bit high on each but playable. The LUNA didn't need any adjustments out of the box. This UKULELE popped up in my email this AM. It's a demo model , electric also and well within your budget.

D'tar

Reaction score
Yea....if ukes are causing you stress, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Do less thinking and more playing. If yer not having fun yer doing it wrong.
Thats funny!!
:rofl:

Latest Threads