Beginner to Intermediate

Mattyboy

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, but at what point in learning guitar does one move from the beginner stage to intermediate? I've only been playing for about four months with online lessons and practice about an hour on average about six days a week. Is there a certain level of playing before you are considered an intermediate? I'm thinking I have at least another year to go. Thanks.

zeppelin101

Reaction score
I guess it just depends. Confidence is huge too btw. The better question is do you feel like an intermediate player?

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry but one can never get "there" if by "there" you mean knowing and mastering everything there is. There's always something new to learn, something different, something you're curious about. That's a good thing actually, makes the guitar a great instrument and you'll never get bored with it! :D

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry but one can never get "there" if by "there" you mean knowing and mastering everything there is. There's always something new to learn, something different, something you're curious about. That's a good thing actually, makes the guitar a great instrument and you'll never get bored with it! :D

River

Reaction score
Some folks have a legitimate goal of advancing through skill levels, but many (most?) of us don't. I promoted myself from Beginner to, uh, Intermediate? Player?, shit I don't know, when I learned to relax and could play things I wanted to hear with feeling and some personal style.

Purely skill-wise, many would still consider me a beginner, and rightfully so.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I guess as long as I enjoy playing, then the level labels shouldn't mean much. Thanks again!

rickym

Reaction score
The only visible evidence for me was playing a chord with all my fingers going down at the same time as opposed to one finger at a time. At the same time my ear was developing faster than understanding tab so I stuck with my ear & the occasional chord chart. :)

tomaseriksson

Reaction score
Im starting to consider myself intermediate now after 2 years of playing. I have just started being able to play by feeling, I can think up stuff in my head and then play it. I can also play without starring at the fretboard.

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
On a similar note.

Given the ~1 hour per day practice/play, how long does it take to go from "just picked up a guitar for the first time" to "I can go into the music store and try out guitars without sounding like a compete idiot"?

Paragon

Reaction score
People learn certain things at different speeds. Barre chords may be easy for one and get the hang of it in a few weeks and may take 6 month for another.

jon1

Reaction score
Its all kind of hard to judge. After a few months of playing myself i thought i sounded good, but now that i look back it it i wasn't particularly good. You may have progressed faster than I did. The best advice I can give is enjoy the instrument for what it is and keep practicing.

tintin

Reaction score
In addition, one's skill in one area may be advanced, but novice in another.

Byron999

Reaction score
On a similar note.

Given the ~1 hour per day practice/play, how long does it take to go from "just picked up a guitar for the first time" to "I can go into the music store and try out guitars without sounding like a compete idiot"?

1 hour practice is a good start, but for me it has taken much more than this to learn. We all start with different natural ability, and for those less gifted we just need to practice more. When I played an hour a day, I usually focused on playing the same songs (poorly, but I enjoyed myself), or trying to learn a new song. There is a lot written on the "Discipline" of practicing. So for me it took awile, as in two decades of playing for 2-3 months at 1 hour a day and then putting the git away for a couple of yrs out of frustration of not getting really any better. Then I took a few lessons and that opened up alot as now my practice became more focused. What I mean by that is 70 percent of my practice time is spent playing all that shit that bores you. Hence the concept of Discipline. Playing slowly and focusing on accuracy, never playing faster than you can play something perfectly. Breaking down licks, chords fingering and chord changes to just one measure or two, and playing it slowly and accurately, over and over and over again. Its freaking boring and problably very challenging for A.D.D. people to do. Us compulsive types probably have an advantage. The great benifit to this is that 3 hours of practice a day will astoud you. It may take a month or two to learn just one lick when you are in the beginner, or beginner/intermediate stage. Don't sweat it. I can asure you you will gain speed through playing slow and accurately, which leads to playing clean. Then after getting the dexterity to play a piece effortlessly and fluidly, only then do I really focus on timing and picking, muting, getting that cadence just right. So like it took me 1.5 years to go from not playing any lead guitar what so ever, 3 hours a day practice, to get where I can play say, Stairway to Heaven lead part and sound good. I Disciplined myself to play only the Pentatonic scales for a least 2 hrs a day, over and over and over, for 6 months without trying to learn any lead licks, just play the scales, nothing else. This builds strength and WOW now all my fingers are becoming more indepentdent. After this 6 months I started learning some well known pentatonic lead parts, "Hey Joe", "Stairway To Heaven", and "Call Me the Breeze" by Lynard Skynard, "Hotel California", then some cool Johnny Winter licks. These are great pentatonic lead riffs, and sound very Bluesy at the EVER-SO-SLOW practice speed that it took to learn them. Well, Ive rambled enough, but I can say for myself, that with disciplined practice, for me, "Happiness is the awareness of my own improvement."

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
.... When I played an hour a day, I usually focused on playing the same songs (poorly, but I enjoyed myself), or trying to learn a new song. ....

I'm here now.

.... Playing slowly and focusing on accuracy, never playing faster than you can play something perfectly. Breaking down licks, chords fingering and chord changes to just one measure or two, and playing it slowly and accurately, over and over and over again. ....

Starting to do a bit of this, but not really to utter boredom. And usually not slow enough for long enough.

Thanks for your post and tips. :thumb:

BrokenIce

Reaction score

+1 that sums it up, ...period :applause:

Latest Threads