Before I start grinding on this nut ...

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fret would definitely need to be dressed after it's leveled, I'm pretty sure I can handle that ... thank God for YouTube.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the fret kisser came in. As much as it killed me to spend $100 bucks, I'm glad I bought it.

I've watched enough videos on YouTube and can handle tools well enough that I probably could have evened the high frets with a file, but the fret kisser absolutely eliminates the guesswork and the risk of hogging off too much of the fret.

Had a dead spot on one of the upper end frets, after a few swipes it was gone.

Had a dead spot at the 6th fret, especially the D and G strings. It's mostly gone now and I attribute what's left to the fret needing to be crowned.

smk506

Reaction score
Well, the fret kisser came in. As much as it killed me to spend $100 bucks, I'm glad I bought it.

I've watched enough videos on YouTube and can handle tools well enough that I probably could have evened the high frets with a file, but the fret kisser absolutely eliminates the guesswork and the risk of hogging off too much of the fret.

Had a dead spot on one of the upper end frets, after a few swipes it was gone.

Had a dead spot at the 6th fret, especially the D and G strings. It's mostly gone now and I attribute what's left to the fret needing to be crowned.
The baroque diamond grit crowning file on Amazon for 20-30 bucks is a pretty sweet deal and works fine. If you the z- file from stew Mac is super pricey, but it really does deliver effortless top notch results. Worth it if you think you’ll be doing more guitars in the future.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The baroque diamond grit crowning file on Amazon for 20-30 bucks is a pretty sweet deal and works fine. If you the z- file from stew Mac is super pricey, but it really does deliver effortless top notch results. Worth it if you think you’ll be doing more guitars in the future.
I do have a slightly high fret on another guitar that I'm going to trim down. I think I might have found my post-retirement job/hobby.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The thing I *don't* like about most crowning files is that they leave a very broad, flat crown.

I find myself going back to the tri file with the corners rounded, then sanding the very peak of the crown by hand.

IF the z file gives a good, high crown, I might consider buying one.

Anybody have some experience with the z file that provides a nice, high crown?

Roxy13

Reaction score
The thing I *don't* like about most crowning files is that they leave a very broad, flat crown.

I find myself going back to the tri file with the corners rounded, then sanding the very peak of the crown by hand.

IF the z file gives a good, high crown, I might consider buying one.

Anybody have some experience with the z file that provides a nice, high crown?
On brand new frets the crowning goes super fast with it and no issues. On low frets I often have to make several passes with each side of the file until it gets there, but yes, that is my favorite crowning file because it doesn't take extra material off the top and every fret will be consistant.

Where I don't like it as much as the last few frets over the body when you are doing a level or refret on an existing set neck guitar. I just bought a diamond offset file to speed up those. I've managed the past 4 years doing it usually with the Z file, but it's a pain. Sometimes I go to my triangle file there instead.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I did it. Got all the tools together and went at it.

Leveled out a couple of high fret that were causing buzzing and fret out. Used the painfully overpriced Stewmac fret kisser, but it removed all the guesswork, brought out the blue Sharpie and a 3-corner file, crowning went well, then sanded and polished. Strung her up, did a set up and voila, dead spots gone.

Then pulled out the nut files brought the string height down to spec. Plays as nice as my other two Pauls.

Now that I've done it the fear factor is gone, but the take is slow and easy is and will always be in place.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and gave advice, I kept hearing it in my head and it probably prevented a catastrophy.

Latest Threads