Beer Migraines!!!

randelli

Reaction score
I have been working out of town for what seems like forever! on Wednesday night I stayed at a new hotel - Windmere? Windgate? - anyway, they had free beer till 7:00. Not really beer; but Coors Light.

Now I am not too much of a snob but I do not like / can not drink single syllable beers. I new that I didn't like Coors Light but I had some anyway. I needed something to wash down the free nachos.... I had two 6 oz plastic cups.

Before I got to my room I felt a migraine coming on. I had the headache all night and woke up very dehydrated. I also remembered, at about the same moment, why Coors Light is on my do not drink list. The last Coors light I had was a half can on a sailboat that ruined the entire day for me! Foreign beers do not do this. Micro brews do not do this. Only american beer.

I wonder what the reason is? I wonder why I am dehydrated after? I wonder if they are using additives to make people thirsty so they will buy more beer?

Does this happen to anyone else?

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds to me like yer a man of wealth and taste

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
doesn't American beer have caffeine and stuff added to it?

daftparagon

Reaction score
I have been working out of town for what seems like forever! on Wednesday night I stayed at a new hotel - Windmere? Windgate? - anyway, they had free beer till 7:00. Not really beer; but Coors Light.

Now I am not too much of a snob but I do not like / can not drink single syllable beers. I new that I didn't like Coors Light but I had some anyway. I needed something to wash down the free nachos.... I had two 6 oz plastic cups.

Before I got to my room I felt a migraine coming on. I had the headache all night and woke up very dehydrated. I also remembered, at about the same moment, why Coors Light is on my do not drink list. The last Coors light I had was a half can on a sailboat that ruined the entire day for me! Foreign beers do not do this. Micro brews do not do this. Only american beer.

I wonder what the reason is? I wonder why I am dehydrated after? I wonder if they are using additives to make people thirsty so they will buy more beer?

Does this happen to anyone else?

There are definitely ingredients in Coors Light that violate Reinheitsgebot... but I can't say I've ever heard of someone reacting adversely to macro-brews that has no issue with other beer. Definitely not ruling it out though.

Have you had the same problem with such small quantities of Coors Light in the past?

Symptoms could be an allergy, but could also be from illness, carbon monoxide, etc. :-/

D-POLAND

Reaction score
there might be a couple of things here that you may want to know, that draw/ tap beer has carbon dioxide under pressure on it , to keep it from getting stale !some have told me that it gives them bad head aches.( the carbon dioxide that is!) also getting dehydrated/no water, and drinking also not good! something you might want to keep in mind!

daftparagon

Reaction score
there might be a couple of things here that you may want to know, that draw/ tap beer has carbon dioxide under pressure on it , to keep it from getting stale !some have told me that it gives them bad head aches.( the carbon dioxide that is!) also getting dehydrated/no water, and drinking also not good! something you might want to keep in mind!

Almost all beer has carbon dioxide in it, regardless of storage method (tap, bottle, etc). That's what makes the bubbles. If the OP can drink other beer without issue, then this shouldn't be an issue.

randelli

Reaction score
Mostly american big brews; but MGD does not give me any problems. I tend to avoid beer in green bottles as well.

Beers I can drink:
Bohemia
Pacifico
Negro Modelo
Downtown Brown (Eureka)
Leff and other Belgium
Celebrator
any Heff
Blue Moon
Any Trader Joe's / Gordon Biersch?

D-POLAND

Reaction score
Mostly american big brews; but MGD does not give me any problems. I tend to avoid beer in green bottles as well.

Beers I can drink:
Bohemia
Pacifico
Negro Modelo
Downtown Brown (Eureka)
Leff and other Belgium
Celebrator
any Heff
Blue Moon
Any Trader Joe's / Gordon Biersch?

just curious are these bottle beer or are they tap beer??

randelli

Reaction score
All bottles.

BTW: I don't drink a lot, maybe have a beer once every few months. I used to think I had developed an allergy from all the heavy beer swilling I did during my formative years until I discovered that there were some I could drink.

D-POLAND

Reaction score
All bottles.

BTW: I don't drink a lot, maybe have a beer once every few months. I used to think I had developed an allergy from all the heavy beer swilling I did during my formative years until I discovered that there were some I could drink.

LOL! well if it's the tap beer there are others who have noticed it too!:wave: I developed a hatred for wine, too ,at an early age!

Flying_Milkman

Reaction score
I have that issue (almost exactly as you described it) with budweiser and Newcastle. I have no idea why and I don't have an issue with most beers, but those two do me in every single time.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Miller Genuine Draft out of the bottle used to give me quick headaches about half the time I drank it -- within two beers, the noggin would be hurting, and if I kept on after that it was like skipping the buzz and going straight to a hangover.

Hasn't been that way for years, for me. I quit drinking completely for five years in the 90s, and after I resumed imbibing the MGD "curse" was gone.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like cheap American swill. For some reason, most "good" beers taste bitter to me, and give me a terrible headache and hangover. Wish that wasn't the case.

tex_lt

Banned
Reaction score
Not much of a Coors/Miller/Bud Light fan, but FREE? Keep 'em coming! Otherwise, I have been drinking craft beers lately, even kinda thinking of getting myself a homebrew outfit! :naughty: Gotta clear it with the wifey first though, Mrs. SqueeTone can be quite a pain when it comes to my recreational purchases :laugh2::laugh2:

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
I cannot drink beer on tap. Doesn't matter what or where. I will get a severe headache and most likely end up quite sick.

I have heard that there are many like me who suffer similarly...something to do with the bacteria in the lines. I don't know. What I do know is the probability of me getting sick from drinking tap beer has been consistently high over three decades or so...

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way with all "lite" beers. Miller, Bud, Coors, doesn't matter. If I drink just one or two and I'm down for the count with a migraine. I didn't know this was true until I shotgunned a few with some friends over Halloween. Next three says were miserable.

Latest Threads