been a bad day

Reaction score
got my carve top done all good, then onto the neck plane at 4 degrees made the box all going well. done the first couple of passes all good then the s*** hits the fan the bit decided to drop down and me not paying attention carved chunks out of the wenge total loss so planed the top off lets start again shall we , remember scots words on his youtube vid ( DISASTER CAN STRIKE AT ANYTIME ) yes it can first try at a lp will get there in the end :(

Robert Parker

Reaction score
That sucks dude. Major bummer.

I don't know if you are into using hand planes, but Crimson Guitars has a video showing how to use a long hand plane to make the neck angle plane in the body. It's one option that cuts down on having to use a router and the would lower the risk of high-stakes damage that can occur so fast.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well i've been around wood working for going onto 30 years. completed several carved tops, and alas....i have one on the shelf i carved to deep and have to put another cap on it. burns my butt, but it happens. i guess after i look at it for another six months i'll fix it. suck it up and move on. you'll be fine

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
got my carve top done all good, then onto the neck plane at 4 degrees made the box all going well. done the first couple of passes all good then the s*** hits the fan the bit decided to drop down and me not paying attention carved chunks out of the wenge total loss so planed the top off lets start again shall we , remember scots words on his youtube vid ( DISASTER CAN STRIKE AT ANYTIME ) yes it can first try at a lp will get there in the end :(
Gol-Dammit.
Ain't that the shits.

I've had a bit drop down a time or two.

Anymore, I cinch the bejeesus out of the Collett. To the point that I need to whack the wrench with a rubber mallet to break it loose.

Damn bits. Sorry bro. Been there.

Reaction score
well i've been around wood working for going onto 30 years. completed several carved tops, and alas....i have one on the shelf i carved to deep and have to put another cap on it. burns my butt, but it happens. i guess after i look at it for another six months i'll fix it. suck it up and move on. you'll be fine
yep starting again tomorrow , been here before wipe me mouth and move on

Reaction score
That sucks dude. Major bummer.

I don't know if you are into using hand planes, but Crimson Guitars has a video showing how to use a long hand plane to make the neck angle plane in the body. It's one option that cuts down on having to use a router and the would lower the risk of high-stakes damage that can occur so fast.
sounds like a plan

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. A local machine shop has a trophy on display (not visible to customers in the front office) which consists of what would have been a (reportedly) 50,000 dollar part they were machining, with a broken end mill fused into it. Smeared metal all around it. They had to break the end mill to get the whole mess out of the machine.

These kinds of accidents are going to happen to all of us eventually. I've had a goof or two over the years.

Every build is a gamble. Expect to lose a couple.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. A local machine shop has a trophy on display (not visible to customers in the front office) which consists of what would have been a (reportedly) 50,000 dollar part they were machining, with a broken end mill fused into it. Smeared metal all around it. They had to break the end mill to get the whole mess out of the machine.

These kinds of accidents are going to happen to all of us eventually. I've had a goof or two over the years.

ouch

Kennoyce

Reaction score
We've all had similar things happen, I was once routing a truss rod channel on the router table and the bit vibrated up and out of the back of the neck. Turns out the shank diameter was too small and there was no way to get it tight enough because the collet was bottomed out. That's what I get for trying to use a cheap Chinese bit I guess...

lowatter

Reaction score
Rack it up to experience and carry-on. Wax-on-Wax-off Grasshopper is a moronic thing to add in your pain, but I've been there-done-that and in all reality... it's just wood with a WHOLE lot of your time invested in it. Please try to make it therapeutic and not obsessive/end of your world(though it may seem to be). I'm looking forward to your end result. Looking good!
I spent 27 hours and $60 in materials refinishing a Victorian living room chair. Our somewhat newly acquired over the years cat seems to make it her own and is tearing it up, so I'm saying "whatever". I love the cat more than the chair.

Last edited:

failsafe306

Reaction score

:shock:

Latest Threads