Bee Gees........holy $h*t

Bluesky

Reaction score
I don't say this lightly. The new Bee Gees documentary on HBO might be the best musical documentary I've ever seen.

Fantastic....so well done. First off the body of music is just insane. Everyone thinks of SN Fever.....they were so much more then that. Speaking of SN Fever......staying alive had the first recorded drum loop! Interesting story I'll let you hear when you watch it.

Losing my dad was tough last month. I can't even imagine the level of sadness of losing all my brothers after creating so much with them. His message at the end almost broke me.

Really a good watch. Highly recommend. :cheers2:

Last edited:

fleahead

Reaction score
Watched it last nite, accidently stumbled onto it just as it was starting. Abso-fucking-lutely amazing.

I agree, one of the best made.

Zungle

Reaction score
Looking like its only available on HB0 Max ?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In 1967, when I was 9, the Bee Gees released a song that was called "Holiday"...

The beginning lyrics are:

Ooh, you're a holiday, such a holiday...

But the way it was sung, the word "holiday" had a distinctive break between the two syllables in the word.

And so the way those lyrics are sung is kinda like this:

Oooh, you're a holid day, such a holid day

And I found myself mystified by what I thought was a separate word, "holid".

So, I grabbed my dictionary. I was surprised to find no entry for the word "holid".

After that, I asked my dad what the word "holid" meant. When he said he'd never heard the word before-- and after learning that I'd already looked it up, but it wasn't in the dictionary-- he shrugged and speculated that perhaps it was a slang word.

And, because my hippy-dippy sister was up on *all* the slang out there, he recommended that I go ask her. That sister, Sandy, was almost ten years older than me. She loved me to pieces, but she used to mess with my mind almost constantly... she found that sort of thing amusing.

So I went and asked Sandy. She drew a blank at first, but then asked where I heard this word. I told her about the Bee Gees song... and of course, she knew all about that one, seeing as it was her record I was playing to begin with.

So she decided to have some fun. Realizing my mistake, she went ahead to make things even more confusing for me by telling me that the word "holid" indicated the color purple.

Of course I believed her... but imagine my confusion as I tried to puzzle the meaning of those lyrics together.

Oooh, you're a purple day. Such a purple day... :hmm:

WTF? So she told me to listen to all the lyrics, and by the end of the song I'd understand why he said that it was a purple day.

So I listened to the whole song about 20 times. But of course, there's absolutely nothing in subsequent lyrics to explain what a "purple day" is.

In fact, the lyrics are actually abstract enough that it takes a bit of interpretation of loose verbal associations to at least get to what the mood of the song really is. BUT, this was a bit too much of a task for somebody who was 9 years old and was still listening to the Monkees...

I finally just gave up and figured that the Bee Gees were probably as crazy as my sister was. You know how it is when you're a kid: you just shrug and remember that pretty much all people between about 13 and 43 are kind of crazy to begin with...

So now it's dinner time, and Sandy shows up at the dinner table wearing a purple blouse. She told me that the shade of purple was the shade known as "holid", and that it was her favorite color. She told me that the blouse was very expensive because the holid plant that the purple dye comes from only grows in the Himalayas, and you have to climb mountains just to gather it. She claimed that four men died just to collect enough holid to dye this one blouse she was wearing.

I was in awe! :laugh2:

By this time my father had one eyebrow raised, and mom was doing the facepalm (but laughing behind it). Sandy went on to tell me that in the old days, only royalty could afford holid-colored garments...

Dad burst into laughter. Actually, all three of them were laughing openly by this time. But dad asked where I first heard this word, "holid"... and I told him about the Bee Gees record. Meanwhile, my evil sister had been making me sing and dance to popular music on the radio for her personal amusement since The Beatles showed up when I was four, and so she ordered me to sing the song to dad.

So I sang the very beginning of the song... but stopped when I saw dad going into spasmodic laughter.

He told Sandy, "Oh boy-- that was a good one!" But then he ordered her to fill me in on WTF was the deal with that song...

That's when I learned that the guy was singing a single word-- holiday-- not two words as "holid day".

Even I had to laugh at that! :laugh2:

--R :p

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't say this lightly. The new Bee Gees documentary on HBO might be the best musical documentary I've ever seen.

Fantastic....so well done. First off the body of music is just insane. Everyone thinks of SN Fever.....they were so much more then that. Speaking of SN Fever......staying alive had the first recorded drum loop! Interesting story I'll let you hear when you watch it.

Losing my dad was tough last month. I can't even imagine the level of sadness of losing all my brothers after creating so much with them. His message at the end almost broke me.

Really a good watch. Highly recommend. :cheers2:
Every Bee Gees documentary I've seen has been great, I think I"ve seen three.

I'm sure this one is great as well. Yes, a must-watch. And I haven't even seen it yet.

That's because the early history of those brothers is a fascinating journey. Makes for a great story.

There should be many other documentaries on other bands as well. There simply are not enough of them.

It was a meteoric time in history with these bands; 1960 to 1970. So much happened in that decade, and so very fast. No other decade changed that rapidly. There are simply not enough great stories documented that could be.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In 1967, when I was 9, the Bee Gees released a song that was called "Holiday"...

But the way it was sung, the word "holiday" had a distinctive break between the two syllables in the word.

So, I grabbed my dictionary. I was surprised to find no entry for the word "holid".

After that, I asked my dad what the word "holid" meant. When he said he'd never heard the word before-- and after learning that I'd already looked it up, but it wasn't in the dictionary-- he shrugged and speculated that perhaps it was a slang word.

And, because my hippy-dippy sister was up on *all* the slang out there, he recommended that I go ask her. That sister, Sandy, was almost ten years older than me. She loved me to pieces, but she used to mess with my mind almost constantly... she found that sort of thing amusing.

So I went and asked Sandy. She drew a blank at first, but then asked where I heard this word. I told her about the Bee Gees song... and of course, she knew all about that one, seeing as it was her record I was playing to begin with.

So she decided to have some fun. Realizing my mistake, she went ahead to make things even more confusing for me by telling me that the word "holid" indicated the color purple.

Of course I believed her... but imagine my confusion as I tried to puzzle the meaning of those lyrics together.

WTF? So she told me to listen to all the lyrics, and by the end of the song I'd understand why he said that it was a purple day.

So I listened to the whole song about 20 times. But of course, there's absolutely nothing in subsequent lyrics to explain what a "purple day" is.

In fact, the lyrics are actually abstract enough that it takes a bit of interpretation of loose verbal associations to at least get to what the mood of the song really is. BUT, this was a bit too much of a task for somebody who was 9 years old and was still listening to the Monkees...

I finally just gave up and figured that the Bee Gees were probably as crazy as my sister was. You know how it is when you're a kid: you just shrug and remember that pretty much all people between about 13 and 43 are kind of crazy to begin with...

So now it's dinner time, and Sandy shows up at the dinner table wearing a purple blouse. She told me that the shade of purple was the shade known as "holid", and that it was her favorite color. She told me that the blouse was very expensive because the holid plant that the purple dye comes from only grows in the Himalayas, and you have to climb mountains just to gather it. She claimed that four men died just to collect enough holid to dye this one blouse she was wearing.

By this time my father had one eyebrow raised, and mom was doing the facepalm (but laughing behind it). Sandy went on to tell me that in the old days, only royalty could afford holid-colored garments...

Dad burst into laughter. Actually, all three of them were laughing openly by this time. But dad asked where I first heard this word, "holid"... and I told him about the Bee Gees record. Meanwhile, my evil sister had been making me sing and dance to popular music on the radio for her personal amusement since The Beatles showed up when I was four, and so she ordered me to sing the song to dad.

So I sang the very beginning of the song... but stopped when I saw dad going into spasmodic laughter.

He told Sandy, "Oh boy-- that was a good one!" But then he ordered her to fill me in on WTF was the deal with that song...

That's when I learned that the guy was singing a single word-- holiday-- not two words as "holid day".

The Bee Gees "secret weapon" was *EDIT* Robin Give him a ballad, and he could bring a tear to the eye of a stone statue.

"Holiday" was a Robin song. So was "Hold On" (on the top end) , "I Started a Joke", etc.

Whatever "It" is that some singers have to pull your emotional strings, Robin had it in spades.

* edited for proper name change.

Last edited:

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Bee Gees "secret weapon" was Andy. Give him a ballad, and he could bring a tear to the eye of a stone statue.

"Holiday" was an Andy song. So was "Hold On" (on the top end) , "I Started a Joke", etc.

Whatever "It" is that some singers have to pull your emotional strings, Andy had it in spades.
It was that plaintive voice of his, I believe... :hmm:

He sounded emotionally vulnerable-- but without being a wuss about it. Very effective kind of singer, as you said.

He sounded mournful somehow... not in a pathetic way, but he had the Melancholy dial on his larynx cranked to 11, and people picked right up on it.

That would be my guess, anyway.

--R

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
HBO MAX is a separate internet channel from HBO on cable. And it is a bitch to connect with, even though our cable subscription is supposed to give access to it. We'll give it hell and try to watch this program. We look foreard to seeing it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was that plaintive voice of his, I believe... :hmm:

He sounded emotionally vulnerable-- but without being a wuss about it. Very effective kind of singer, as you said.

He sounded mournful somehow... not in a pathetic way, but he had the Melancholy dial on his larynx cranked to 11, and people picked right up on it.

That would be my guess, anyway.

--R
My HUGE mistake, I meant to say ROBIN Gib..

It was that little unsteady shake in his voice, That "non-perfect" trill.. It was in fact the imperfection of it that made it so emotionally real for us.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score

That was amazing! :laugh2: Thanks for sharing that story :thumb:

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a great documentary, I watched it Saturday night and I was floored at the level of talent these guys had, it’s a great story

It also diapels a lot of rumors

Latest Threads