Bedroom Amps

jw3571

Reaction score
I have a Marshall SL5 that I just can't quite dial in for bedroom use. I have a Joyo Deluxe crunch that I thought would help, which it has some but i'm still struggling. The problem is I can't get the sound i'm going after with out it being too damn loud. The overdrive helps but find it's a little harsh when playing higher up the neck. The overdrive is too much if used with the distortion channel so i've been using it the clean channel. I've been using the 1 watt mode of the amp. If I don't use the overdrive I can't the GNR type tone without getting too loud. What should I try next? Should I try a different OD pedal that would sound better on the distortion channel or should I try a different amp that would be better at bedroom volumes? I really wanted a tube amp but maybe it's overkill for my use? What are my options for good bedroom amps. I'd want one that you can switch with a foot pedal between clean and dirty

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a Marshall SL5 that I just can't quite dial in for bedroom use. I have a Joyo Deluxe crunch that I thought would help, which it has some but i'm still struggling. The problem is I can't get the sound i'm going after with out it being too damn loud. The overdrive helps but find it's a little harsh when playing higher up the neck. The overdrive is too much if used with the distortion channel so i've been using it the clean channel. I've been using the 1 watt mode of the amp. If I don't use the overdrive I can't the GNR type tone without getting too loud. What should I try next? Should I try a different OD pedal that would sound better on the distortion channel or should I try a different amp that would be better at bedroom volumes? I really wanted a tube amp but maybe it's overkill for my use? What are my options for good bedroom amps. I'd want one that you can switch with a foot pedal between clean and dirty

Crank the amp in 5 watt mode and buy an attenuator. Like this.

20141227_155347_zpsqyn96jtb.jpg

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
I have a THD Hotplate I bought years ago for use with a Plexi and a Weber Minimass I bought for my smaller tube amps. The Hotplate is definitely overkill for that amp. The Minimass is more than enough. To be honest attenuators are great for taking a little off the top but really sound like crap when you are using them at higher attenuation settings like you would for your application. I used to set my THD to load and ran the line out to my MosValve power amp when playing a cranked Plexi at home. That sounded much better but it's not exactly a cost effective option for a bedroom rig. There are much cheaper ways to get the job done for home use. I picked up a EB JR volume pedal (the 25k version) and run that in the loop of my 120W 6505+ and 30W Delta Blues 115. I find the volume pedal works much better for bedroom use than attenuators.

Not a bedroom rig but this is what is presently sitting in my bedroom and it sounds great at TV volume

I actually use my Minimass to make my amps louder more than quieter. I like to use that with my small tube amps and reamp it's line out through a bigger cabinet. It really opens them up and changes the character of their overdrive. It makes a little tube amp sound like one of their big brothers.

I own two attenuators and for volume control at home my tool of choice is a volume pedal in the loop. Hit the front end of your amp with your OD to get it nice and crunchy and stick an active volume pedal in the loop, that's all you need dude. If you buy the EB JR you will want the 25K version for use in your loop, not the 250K one. If you ever want to use the pedal on your board just put one of your buffered drive pedals in front of it like an OD or Compressor and it will work perfectly there too.

chito

Reaction score
Here are 3 of what I consider bedroom amps although the ZT Lunchbox is probably overkill too as it's 200 watts. The red one on top is a Mack Gem 2G which goes from 4 watts to 0.4 watts. The Blackheart Killer Ant is 1 watt. Both amps are class A tube amps. The ZT Lunchbox has 200 watts and is solid state. The G2 is connected to a 1x12 Avatar cab and the Blackheart is with a Traynor YCX212 cab. Of the 3, I'd recommend the Mack Gem 2G.

BedroomAmps.jpg

Specs for the amps are below:

Mack Amps Gem 2G Boutique Guitar Amp

Blackheart? - Lab Studies :: Case # BH1H

ZT Amplifiers - Products - Lunchbox

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I love my SL-5 and think it sounds killer. My landlord says he hears me every now and then playing and it sounds good.

I like keeping it on Clean and using my RP500 for what ever distortion/tone I want to get out of it at very low volumes. When no one is at home, I just plug straight in and rock the shit out of it. :dude:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to try a Vox Lil Night Train? 2W and it sounds really good cranked but not so loud the neighbors call the cops.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The best bedroom amp I've ever used is the Bogner Panama. That thing sounds like modded Plexi that's crapping its pants, and does it at phone conversation levels. Should've never sold it. They pop up used every now and then for well under 1k. I just recently passed on a Bogner Brixton, but that might too loud for the bedroom...but I guess that depends on what else gets loud in the bedroom. :naughty:

d2_racing

Reaction score
First time that I heard about the Panama. It's a cool 4w amp I guess.

Tweaker

Reaction score
I consider my 15 watt Egnater Tweaker to be a perfect bedroom amp.

I agree 100%. Such a rad amp, and sounds great at all volumes.

Off topic: I also just noticed this new smily... :jb: Joe B is movin' up in the world! :laugh2:

moomtazz

Reaction score
OP if you are handy with a soldering iron you may be able to add a master volume. If you have to be silent you could try a Pocket Pod through headphones or those Amplugs.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Try some different OD pedals. If you like your Joyo pick up a Sweet Baby, a lower gain OD. If you don't like it sell it on here and try another. I use a 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue in my living room with the family asleep upstairs without an issue.

moomtazz

Reaction score
I have a THD Hotplate I bought years ago for use with a Plexi and a Weber Minimass I bought for my smaller tube amps. The Hotplate is definitely overkill for that amp. The Minimass is more than enough. To be honest attenuators are great for taking a little off the top but really sound like crap when you are using them at higher attenuation settings like you would for your application. I used to set my THD to load and ran the line out to my MosValve power amp when playing a cranked Plexi at home. That sounded much better but it's not exactly a cost effective option for a bedroom rig. There are much cheaper ways to get the job done for home use. I picked up a EB JR volume pedal (the 25k version) and run that in the loop of my 120W 6505+ and 30W Delta Blues 115. I find the volume pedal works much better for bedroom use than attenuators.

Not a bedroom rig but this is what is presently sitting in my bedroom and it sounds great at TV volume

I actually use my Minimass to make my amps louder more than quieter. I like to use that with my small tube amps and reamp it's line out through a bigger cabinet. It really opens them up and changes the character of their overdrive. It makes a little tube amp sound like one of their big brothers.

I own two attenuators and for volume control at home my tool of choice is a volume pedal in the loop. Hit the front end of your amp with your OD to get it nice and crunchy and stick an active volume pedal in the loop, that's all you need dude. If you buy the EB JR you will want the 25K version for use in your loop, not the 250K one. If you ever want to use the pedal on your board just put one of your buffered drive pedals in front of it like an OD or Compressor and it will work perfectly there too.

The EB Jr I searched says it's for active instruments. Does yours say the same and are you using normal pickups? You have me curious here because there are a few 30watt + amps in my area for great prices but I haven't given them a second thought because I need something "bedroom" volume.

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
The EB Jr I searched says it's for active instruments. Does yours say the same and are you using normal pickups? You have me curious here because there are a few 30watt + amps in my area for great prices but I haven't given them a second thought because I need something "bedroom" volume.

Yes, you use the active one (25K) when you use it in the effects loop of an amp. The pedal is going to operate like a foot controlled master volume. Your pick ups have nothing to do with it in this application. All of my guitars have passive pick ups. If you only want to use one between your guitar and amp you would use the passive one (250K). The active one is much more useful IMO. If you want to use it on other occasions on your pedal board you just have to run it after a buffered pedal like an OD. The EB JR also has a tuner out which I run to my tuner for silent tuning. Silent tuning, volume swells, complete volume control at my feet....I kind of wish I picked one up years ago.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Blackstar HT1 or the HT5. Sounds great at all levels. Just because they are known for being high gain amps, doesnt mean you have to crank the gain to get what you want from it.. A tube screamer or lower lever dirt pedal will get you classic tones easily if you have a hard time dialing them in in the ISF knob.

2 channels, headphone capable, effects loop, etc etc etc... Running around insisting on Class A tube and bedroom volumes is an uphill and expensive run.....

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to try out the Yamaha THR series? They are 10w solid state but sound amazing. Perfect bedroom amp IMO

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-7wldHiv7Y[/ame]

Latest Threads