Beck disses LP's

The_Sentry

Reaction score
:rofl:

I feel sorry for anyone who blew 25 grand on Beck's POS Oxblood. :rofl:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
:rofl:I feel sorry for anyone who blew 25 grand on Beck's POS Oxblood.
i feel envious of anyone who has enough disposable income to buy one (not that i would want an Oxblood) :D

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
X–Ray;1688906 said:

a real Heartbreaker

we'll take two, one for me, one for you!

('60s neck for me)

one day...

+1 On the 60's neck, BTW your up early.:)

As Les Paul used to say...."My work is my hobby, and my hobby is my work".

dynamohum

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's a weird little interview with Beck in 1974 where he's explaining how an electric guitar works to a visiting alien. Looks like he's using his Oxblood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p05vOgGNSo]YouTube - Jeff Beck 1974 part 2[/ame]

At one point he talks about the delicate properties of the guitar. We all know he really means "sissy" qualities, but the words are interchangeable.

SRXy

Reaction score
Someone far more knowledgeable than I am once told me....

"A Les Paul is an instrument....a Strat is a tool...which one would you rather beat a crazed groupie off with?"

I love my knackered beat up old strat....it's taken a severe beating in the last 25yrs and yet still has bucketloads of tone and stays in tune no matter what abuse I throw at it.....

Les Pauls are too pretty to do that too...lol....

planks

Reaction score
Thanks much charveldan for posting the actual article in question here.

To get what Jeff Beck is actually talking about and means by his remark, like in all conversation going on, it's important to be aware of the context it's beeing said in. No-one mentioned this till now, so thought i'd do it.

He is answering/commenting on a question: "What were you playing when Hendrix said that to you?" (see Charveldans post with the pic of the article).

So Beck were at that time using quite light strings on his Les Paul, and Jimi Hendrix stated his opinion that JB was not going to get much tone out of such thin strings. What happened was that Beck began to play Strats as his "main" guitar. But at the same time he has a thing about wanting things to be "hard", i.e. for him important that you "suffer" to get your tone and all. So he began putting thicker strings on his Strats (even though today his Jeff Beck Strat comes factory equipped with '09s).

He is moving necks, bodies and pickups around between all of his guitars, he is playing with his fingers and palm, he is experimentating in the most extreme way with sounds, effects and everything else. He doesn't even play all his shows with same string gauge, can depend on his mood and how long into the tour it is.

This is a man that is challenging everything and everyone to get to where he wants to be. He is well known for throwing "unusual" words around in interviews and right here in this context all he means is that (IN HIS OPINION) the Les Paul is the more "fine" "delicate" and "luxury" "pleasant" type of guitar. The Stratocaster is the RAW workhorse, the "unpolished" diamond that is kind of "HARD" to play and get the results he want out of it. But he chose the Strat, because he LIKES when things are kind of rough and hard work. That is all he means, and there is NO disrespect whatsoever in his remarks directed at the Les Paul guitar or the people that play them.

WillieG

Reaction score
In between all the "sissy" and "non-sissy" discussions, this thread actually isn't half bad! Think I'll put on "Live At Ronnie Scotts" right now! :naughty:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Thanks much charveldan for posting the actual article in question here.

To get what Jeff Beck is actually talking about and means by his remark, like in all conversation going on, it's important to be aware of the context it's beeing said in. No-one mentioned this till now, so thought i'd do it.

He is answering/commenting on a question:
"What were you playing when Hendrix said that to you?" (see Charveldans post with the pic of the article).

So Beck were at that time using quite light strings on his Les Paul, and Jimi Hendrix stated his opinion that JB was not going to get much tone out of such thin strings. What happened was that Beck began to play Strats as his "main" guitar. But at the same time he has a thing about wanting things to be "hard", i.e. for him important that you "suffer" to get your tone and all. So he began putting thicker strings on his Strats (even though today his Jeff Beck Strat comes factory equipped with '09s).

He is moving necks, bodies and pickups around between all of his guitars, he is playing with his fingers and palm, he is experimentating in the most extreme way with sounds, effects and everything else. He doesn't even play all his shows with same string gauge, can depend on his mood and how long into the tour it is.

This is a man that is challenging everything and everyone to get to where he wants to be. He is well known for throwing "unusual" words around in interviews and right here in this context all he means is that (IN HIS OPINION) the Les Paul is the more "fine" "delicate" and "luxury" "pleasant" type of guitar. The Stratocaster is the RAW workhorse, the "unpolished" diamond that is kind of "HARD" to play and get the results he want out of it. But he chose the Strat, because he LIKES when things are kind of rough and hard work. That is all he means, and there is NO disrespect whatsoever in his remarks directed at the Les Paul guitar or the people that play them.
too bad you missed post #82 first go round... regardless, glad you weighed in with your opinion :~)

planks

Reaction score
X–Ray;1689164 said:
too bad you missed post #82 first go round... regardless, glad you weighed in with your opinion :~)
I didn't "miss" anything. Neither your or anyone elses posts. So now you know.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
X–Ray;1688894 said:
i feel envious of anyone who has enough disposable income to buy one (not that i would want an Oxblood) :D
Especially on that guitar!!!

"Oh man!!! I gots me a guitar the Beck dude don't even like anymore!"

:rofl:

This ranks right up there with the Gibson Angus Young Signature pickups, the Gibson "If Jimi was alive, he'd be playing this!" and the Epiphone Iommi G-400!!!

baiff

Reaction score
Besides what he did or did not say....... his new CD is really good.

Rang Rang

Reaction score
Here's a really cool video I found that features the Oxblood. I love the faces he makes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDqqxKnW3o]YouTube - UPP feat. JEFF BECK - Down In The Dirt (1974 UK TV Performance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~[/ame]

LP Fan

Reaction score
JB can say and use what he likes, notwithstanding the fact that he's misguided and a hypocrite. I'd have more respect for him if he thought the Paul was a "sissy guitar" and didn't accept a huge endorsement deal from the Dark Side. That's what is truly annoying. Did he even bother to think about the suckers out there who paid big dough for his "Oxymoron" model? They're most likely the proud owners of a very expensive piece of wood lacking the cache for which they paid a premium now that JB disses his own model and, by implication, those who play it. If JB likes to use an easy to play, contoured, bolt-on-necked, whammy-barred piece of tree, then so be it. I'll stick to my Lester and be a very happy camper.

guitarfish

Reaction score
JB can say and use what he likes, notwithstanding the fact that he's misguided and a hypocrite. I'd have more respect for him if he thought the Paul was a "sissy guitar" and didn't accept a huge endorsement deal from the Dark Side. That's what is truly annoying. Did he even bother to think about the suckers out there who paid big dough for his "Oxymoron" model? They're most likely the proud owners of a very expensive piece of wood lacking the cache for which they paid a premium now that JB disses his own model and, by implication, those who play it. If JB likes to use an easy to play, contoured, bolt-on-necked, whammy-barred piece of tree, then so be it. I'll stick to my Lester and be a very happy camper.
Did you read what he actually said, in context?

LP Fan

Reaction score
I did. And, while I don't think it was the MAJOR "diss" that others perceive it to be, it was a "diss" nonetheless. As I said previously, I don't care what he likes to play. However, he should have chosen his words much more carefully since public statements from an icon such as he can have far reaching ramifications, whether intended or unintended.

Latest Threads