Beck disses LP's

dynamohum

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of over-reacting in this thread :). Beck is always interesting in interviews - mainly because he says what's on his mind. Maybe it's lost in translation (i.e. British English to US English), but I can't imagine any musician I know being upset if some rock star or other made an off the cuff remark about Les Paul's being "sissy".

I used to spend a lot of time on photography forums where every day there would be a "Canon is better than Nikon" thread. I never understood it, and thought well at least on the muso forums no-one is lacking in self-confidence enough to "protect" their brand against another one. I'd have thought that a lot of us have Gibson and Fender and other brands. Or is this a Gibson-only world? Be a bit sad if it was.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
JB has become dependant on a whammy and can't seem to play without one
for the moment, let's just set aside Hendrix, Van Halen, Satch, Vai, and the rest who have a large number of frequent flyer miles on a whammy bar...

my guess is that Beck uses a whammy bar often because it expands the "voice" of his guitar playing such as being very lyrical and dynamic in his soloing, adding subtle inflections and nuances, as well as dive bombing with the best of them - please tell me what other player can finger pick, do volume and tone swells, and, use the whammy bar or the palm of his hand simultaneously and so seamlessly?

however, if Gary Moore makes your ears happy, great for you

(now this is a global statement and not directed at you charveldan) there is enough of an audience of guitar players and guitar heroes to go around so when we like one guitarist a lot we do not have to dislike and/or devalue another...

why he has to knock Les Pauls & the people who play them is beyond me <snip>
just a suggestion, if you (or anyone else) has not read the below post which reports what Beck actually said, not what he was alleged to have said and/or rumored, then i would be very curious to read your opinion based on facts...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/1684375-post82.html

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
<snip> Stevie did "Voodoo Chile" better than Hendrix IMHO <snip>
I 95% agree with you on this... the remaining 5% is credit to Hendrix for writing the song :)

now we will both be hunted down like animals :Ohno: :laugh2:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of over-reacting in this thread :). Beck is always interesting in interviews - mainly because he says what's on his mind. Maybe it's lost in translation (i.e. British English to US English), but I can't imagine any musician I know being upset if some rock star or other made an off the cuff remark about Les Paul's being "sissy".

I used to spend a lot of time on photography forums where every day there would be a "Canon is better than Nikon" thread. I never understood it, and thought well at least on the muso forums no-one is lacking in self-confidence enough to "protect" their brand against another one. I'd have thought that a lot of us have Gibson
and Fender and other brands. Or is this a Gibson-only world? Be a bit sad if it was.
interesting observations about the world of photographers in relation to the guitar muso world - as well as possible cultural differences with relation to (mis)understanding humor - it took me a while to figure out some of the differences between British humor and American humor which initially lead to some clashes with a few Brits who are paradoxically "cyber-buddies" now

i have come to believe that "over-reacting" is the norm at MLPF - which is a part of its charm :~)

personally, i could give a flying fuck who likes who or whatever...

i know what and whom i like and i try not to piss on others' parade of preferences if it is not in step with mine

for example, if i am not into someone or something that another person is, i do not feel a need, nor do i think it right, to verbally tear a part what someone else enjoys - while i understand this behavior professionally, i just don't get it personally...

the problem i have (and i would not label it as an "over-reaction"), which has become a chronic toothache at MLPF, is when opinion is confused with fact, and, when opinion is not based on fact - but as i said above, this is all a part of MLPF's "charm"

you wrote: "
I'd have thought that a lot of us have Gibson and Fender and other brands"

the sad truth is, as much as i love my Lester and my Strat because of their differences, i have to constantly referee between them - otherwise, they would shred each other apart :)

PS. me thinks you are into Zappa...
PSS. i just looked at your Avatar after reading your member name - question answered :~)

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score

Agreed, i'm sure they all started from the begining, my first electric was a Teisco ET-200 and a 5 watt amp from Montgomery Ward catalog.

What i take from the GP/Beck interview is ego pushing out grace, although he was asked, and should be able to give his opinion, it just comes across as smug & unprofessional, especially if your a company trying to market one of his products.

He should be able to play what he want's [beck], but i find his sound very mono/tone, dry, plain, boring, in need of some tweaking & polish, he seems to be going backwards rather than forward.

He also takes a jab at SRV in the same interview [a tone people still can't & try to duplicate] Stevie did "Voodoo Chile" better than Hendrix IMHO, i've never heard beck try to pull that off.

Becks just old, uninspiring, rich & trying to re-invent himself, at the expense of the fans who put him on the map, that's my take.
no offense, unfortunately, you will be offended, after reading your post, what was that you were saying about, "ego pushing out grace?"

River

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of over-reacting in this thread :). <snip>
Stroking out for no apparent reason is an integral part of the MLP physical fitness program. It builds aerobic endurance and emotional fortitude.

"Cut their teeth on Les Pauls" eh?

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
X–Ray;1687073 said:
no offense, unfortunately, you will be offended, after reading your post, what was that you were saying about, "ego pushing out grace?"

I calls em' as i see's em', seems like hypocrisy, wonder if Jeff would have said the same thing if Les was still around???

River

Reaction score
I calls em' as i see's em', seems like hypocrisy, wonder if Jeff would have said the same thing if Les was still around???
Wow, you're taking this quite seriously.

To me, it's like someone who's a champion at both steeplechase and thoroughbred horse racing calling jumping horses sissies. They'll still ride jumping horses, and kick your ass in competition.

Big deal.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
I think Jeff just really, really likes Strats.

I used to be into whammys, still have several, but find i'm a better player without one, not that i wasn't good with one.

I like Jeff, but i don't worship him or his opinion, but respect it.

Posting on a forum is fun, but doesn't add up to dry shit in the longrun.:wow:

dynamohum

Reaction score
Wow - talk about over-reacting :laugh2: :wow:. I suspect that if Les was still around he'd be saying (like lots of other fantastic guitarists have said) that Beck is a real pioneering rock guitarist. Much more so than the person who you rate more highly - Gary Moore. Beck left the blues style of playing decades ago because he felt constrained by it. He could do it, but what would be the point?

As for the Oxblood endorsement. I'm sure Gibson were more than happy to have a legend like Beck on their books, regardless of the fact that he wasn't predominantly been playing Gibson guitars either at that time or now. It's not like Tiger Woods pissing all over Nike. Thank God that kind of corporate straightjacket isn't rife in the guitar playing world (Slash obviously excepted :slash:).

Benjammin

Reaction score
it just comes across as smug & unprofessional, especially if your a company trying to market one of his products.
im sure you're aware he has a signature Fender that has been, and will continue to be, in production for than the Les Paul

I get the impression Les was well aware of Jeffs preferences

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrC_oqWq2pU]YouTube - Les Paul - Jeff Beck - Jamming Together[/ame]

this is Jeffs quote:

"A Les Paul, which is kind of a sissy guitar compared to a Strat anyway. The Les Paul is heavier, but because of that bulk you can do bends on it more easily. Also, the Les Paul's lack of a vibrato arm means you're not wrestling against the spring-loaded bridge all the time. The Strat is the ultimate because it's like having a miniature pedal steel within it. Once you get familiar with it where the bends are and where they meld down into a fourth or whatever, you can do all kinds of pedal-steel-like things, which I think are cool.."

if anyone finds that to be personally offensive, maybe you are a sissy :rolleyes:

zslane

Reaction score
I was a little surprised to see Jeff call the Les Paul "kind of a sissy guitar" too, and it made me wonder what he meant by that. Ultimately I don't really care because my world doesn't revolve around what Jeff Beck thinks of my favorite guitar today. Besides, I take it as given that guitar icons who have been around as long as he has will go through different phases and will have different views and preferences over time. Look at Page. He plays--and has played--nearly every kind of stringed instrument under the sun. I think versatility trumps brand loyalty any day.

As for how scrawny he looks on stage in those photos, well, in the same April GP interview he says that he starves himself for days before a tour or performance because it makes him play better. Hey, whatever gets you through the day, dude. :rolleyes:

My favorite part of the interview, though, was the hard-on he got for Joss Stone in the recording studio. Wish I'd been there to see her... :naughty:

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
this is Jeffs quote:

"A Les Paul, which is kind of a sissy guitar compared to a Strat anyway. The Les Paul is heavier, but because of that bulk you can do bends on it more easily. Also, the Les Paul's lack of a vibrato arm means you're not wrestling against the spring-loaded bridge all the time. The Strat is the ultimate because it's like having a miniature pedal steel within it. Once you get familiar with it where the bends are and where they meld down into a fourth or whatever, you can do all kinds of pedal-steel-like things, which I think are cool.."

if anyone finds that to be personally offensive, maybe you are a sissy :rolleyes:
I don't think it is offensive at all...just utterly ridiculous.
-The bulk makes it easier to bend? WTF? #1
-All Strats have vibrato arms? So...Jeff's never seen a hardtail Strat...? WTF? #2
-The ultimate guitar seems to boil down to the commonality with pedal steel according to Jeff. WTF? #3

**assuming that is really his quote**
Beck has automatically gone from:
weird but great player who used to disappear on tours and no-show for live gigs
to
weird but great player who happens to be a moron.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
-All Strats have vibrato arms? So...Jeff's never seen a hardtail Strat...? WTF? #2
-The ultimate guitar seems to boil down to the commonality with pedal steel according to Jeff. WTF? #3

**assuming that is really his quote**
Beck has automatically gone from:
weird but great player who used to disappear on tours and no-show for live gigs
to
weird but great player who happens to be a moron.

Next JB sig.:wow:

jwinger

Reaction score
X&#8211;Ray;1686954 said:
please tell me what other player can finger pick, do volume and tone swells, and, use the whammy bar or the palm of his hand simultaneously and so seamlessly?
thats my point...saw him and clapton at the O2 fairly recently...IMO beck tries too hard, and is overindulgent. It was no surprise that clapton's set seemed to go down far better. Before I get my head ripped off, I don't dislike all Beck; infact I love the truth album he did with rod stewart

Benjammin

Reaction score
:laugh2: Your picking apart his opinions likes Moses reading the commandments. He obviously thinks the Strat is ultimate for his style, or he wouldnt have made it his primary guitar for the past 30 years. He didnt say "all strats" he was speaking in generalities. How many players use hardtail strats, is that what people think of when they think of stratocasters? really? Some people do find chunkier necks easier/more comfortable for bending. So what. :laugh2:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
what i meant about being offended was in reference to your apparent hypocrisy (although, that is your word - i would have chosen another), or what you refer to as "calls em' as i see's em"
statement, regarding the abundance of "ego pushing out grace" in your original post dressing down Beck's "ego pushing out grace."

clearly, either members of the audience know what Beck really said or they do not and refuse to read the direct quote (post #82), and, continue confusing their opinions with the facts - okay, if that works for others, just not for me...

Gibson is not stupid with regard to Beck's relationship (more like love affair) with Strats over the years - they may be stupid but they are not dumb

this thread started as a rant fest and in its circular way has remained a rant fest for those who have issues with Beck as suggested by the apparent disregard for the actual quotes

hopefully, this recent rant fest disguised as a thread will carry us over for a few days until another one crops up

however, i strongly agree with:
"but doesn't add up to dry shit in the longrun"

it is all just shits and giggles :laugh2:

the direct quotes can be read on post #82

btw, i am not a fanboy of Jeff's, but a fanboy of facts when attempting to have a conversation

let the madness resume

Latest Threads