Beck disses LP's

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
17,042
Reaction score
19,557
i totally agree with paisly! If your playing a tele, bend the neck! He also went on to say not to bend the neck on a les paul (boldface added)
hmm...

i should have loaned Brad my Les Paul Custom (see below) which i bent the neck (at the headstock and the top of the body near the toggle switch) probably hundreds and hundreds of times over the years - with nary a problem

although, it took lots of practice in coordinating the exact hand pressure and locating specific areas to push down on without cracking the neck, and, simultaneously creating a variety of pitch lowering effects because i did not want this technique to become a "one trick pony"

however, had Brad said the least vulnerable Lester (compared to other models) to do this would be a Custom, he would have been correct
it may have something to do with the wood or the ebony finger board - i am uneducated about that kind of guitar expertise, yet, having tried it on a variety of models, the only one which felt sturdy enough was the Custom
btw, have you ever seen it done on any other Lester model but a Custom? probably not (although, there is always an exception to the rule which 50 of you will point out :~)

once, there was a guy who asked me show him how to do that little "trick" - of course, i showed him...
as a matter of fact, on youtube there have been over one hundred thousand viewers who have seen him do it

well, Brad need not worry about bending Les Pauls, he is way wicked already...

(this is the Custom)


i do two bends on the above Custom during this old song of mine: 00:23 and 01:53

"Tell Me No Lies" Fetish: live (1980), reeling across the years..., Sound Bite
 

Benjammin

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
19,429
Reaction score
13,176
X–Ray;1685840 said:
once, there was a guy who asked me show him how to do that little "trick" - of course, i showed him... as a matter of fact, on youtube there have been over one hundred thousand viewers who have seen him do it
:cool:
 

guitarfish

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
1,126
Jeff must have been talking about chambered LPs when he said sissy...
 

Joe 25

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
108
Reaction score
23
Basically it just comes down to the player and which feel he likes. In the end a great guitar player is going to make any guitar sound great. These guitar greats making comments like these are just doing it to stir up the pot, then they sit back and laugh at all of us getting up in arms about it.
 

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
17,042
Reaction score
19,557
<snip> they sit back and laugh at all of us getting up in arms about it
imo, we flatter ourselves to believe we are even on their radars because most of them are busy doing what many of us dream of :laugh2:
 

Joe 25

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
108
Reaction score
23
X–Ray;1686271 said:
imo, we flatter ourselves to believe we are even on their radars because most of them are busy doing what many of us dream of :laugh2:
so maybe it's more like a chuckle.
 

zontar

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
10,209
Reaction score
3,918
Everybody's entitled to their own opinion--even if they're wrong.

Actually the saying that we have the right to our opinion is now used to say every opinion is equally valid--what it originally meant is that everybody has the right to be wrong or the right to believe silly things.

But I don't base my opinions about people or their music on what sort of guitars they like--so in reality--this doesn't affect me.
 

dynamohum

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
160
Reaction score
12
A Les Paul just wouldn't fit in with Beck's current (as of the last 30 years) style. Someone's posted some excellent videos of a gig he did at the O2 with Clapton just a few says ago. Imagine him trying to get any of those sounds on a LP. It's a all a question of using the right tool for the job.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgugdo-rYk]YouTube - Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck, Live, O2 Arena, London 14th February 2010[/ame]


Clapton on the other hand. He could go back to playing Gibson without losing his "signature". In fact I wish he would. He sounds very sissy on the strats :naughty:.
 

faded studio

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
909
Reaction score
16
to me a strat is better on cleans and a LP is better with distortion. I like both. Would I say that LPs are sissy guitars? hell no they are to damn heavy for sissys
 

charveldan

Banned
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
1,278
Reaction score
666
JB has become dependant on a whammy and can't seem to play without one, why he has to knock Les Pauls & the people who play them is beyond me, Gary Moore is much more my style.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWp-Mazmf88]YouTube - Gary Moore[/ame]
 

planks

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
15,039
Reaction score
6,242
He has also said that "picks are for sissies". Now should we start a thread about that one too...
 

Attachments

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
17,042
Reaction score
19,557
A Les Paul just wouldn't fit in with Beck's current (as of the last 30 years) style. Someone's posted some excellent videos of a gig he did at the O2 with Clapton just a few says ago. Imagine him trying to get any of those sounds on a LP. It's a all a question of using the right tool for the job.

Clapton on the other hand. He could go back to playing Gibson without losing his "signature". In fact I wish he would. He sounds very sissy on the strats :naughty:.
:thumb:
 

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
17,042
Reaction score
19,557
He has also said that "picks are for sissies". Now should we start a thread about that one too...
that is one i have not heard before...

however, i do remember reading that Beck explained his foregoing picks was due to his inability to keep from dropping them when drunk which he found very embarrassing - it was just easier for Jeff to use his fingers rather than keep a hold of a pick while performing :cheers:
 

smorgdonkey

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
1,439
X–Ray;1686846 said:
i do remember reading that Beck explained his foregoing picks was due to his inability to keep from dropping them when drunk which he found very embarrassing
So...Mr. Beck was too 'sissy' to hold his liquor and too 'sissy' to be able to hold a pick...maybe he should have drank light beer, weaker booze and used lighter picks.

If only I was half as funny as I think I am!
 

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
17,042
Reaction score
19,557
<snip> Clapton, Page & Beck all cut thier teeth on Les Pauls including Keith Richards <snip>
first off, great looking gear you have...

what you are saying sounds romantic and idealized about The Big Dogs cutting their teeth on Lesters, however, back in merry old England it was not until B P C & R had some money rolling in before they could keep company with a Les Paul which cost a fortune being from America and Brittian being broke from WWII (could use a few Brits right about now to confirm this)

from everything i have read, they all pretty much started off playing shit guitars (just like The Beatles and all the rest) long before owning a Les Paul

as i recall, B P & C (do not know about R) had as their first "quality" guitar some variation of a Telecaster (i.e., an Esquire, etc.)

so, if i have my facts and/or myths correct, it would be more accurate to say they cut their teeth on shitty guitars and hit the big time with a Tele before moving on up to a Lester

since we are on the subject, anyone else see pictures of early stateside Hendrix with the crap he played on before breaking big in England?

i must agree, the myth sounds much better than the facts - Oh Well...
 

planks

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
15,039
Reaction score
6,242
He has also said that "picks are for sissies". Now should we start a thread about that one too...
X–Ray;1686846 said:
that is one i have not heard before...

however, i do remember reading that Beck explained his foregoing picks was due to his inability to keep from dropping them when drunk which he found very embarrassing - it was just easier for Jeff to use his fingers rather than keep a hold of a pick while performing :cheers:
Here's a snip i think describes his masterful playing & technique quite well;

Jeff Beck is entirely in a class by himself as a guitarist. His phrasing is utterly unique—restless, puckish, unpredictable and always a few leaps ahead of even the most adroit listener. Yet he can also touch your heart with some of the most lyrical, graceful and stunningly beautiful passages ever wrested from an electric guitar and amplifier. Part of Beck’s magic originates in his masterful and mystifying technique. He’s one of the few rock guitarists that doesn’t use a pick. All the fingers of his right hand come into play, not only to pluck the strings but also to manipulate the vibrato arm and volume control of the Fender Stratocaster, his signature ax for many years now.

Beck’s uncanny combination of vibrato-arm technique and left-hand string bends have made him a master of legato phrasing and microtonality, the pitches “between the notes” of a tempered Western scale. This renders him better able to evoke the sounds of Indian, Bulgarian and other world music than most other rock guitarists, and adds a mysteriously unique quality to this straight-up rock playing. Beck’s sense of pitch is more complex and subtle than the average person’s. By not using a pick, the fingers of his right hand are free to roam up the fretboard to execute tapping maneuvers that have all the grace of ballet steps.
 

Attachments

charveldan

Banned
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
1,278
Reaction score
666
X–Ray;1686906 said:
first off, great looking gear you have...

what you are saying sounds romantic and idealized about The Big Dogs cutting their teeth on Lesters, however, back in merry old England it was not until B P C & R had some money rolling in before they could keep company with a Les Paul which cost a fortune being from America and Brittian being broke from WWII (could use a few Brits right about now to confirm this)

from everything i have read, they all pretty much started off playing shit guitars (just like The Beatles and all the rest) long before owning a Les Paul

as i recall, B P & C (do not know about R) had as their first "quality" guitar some variation of a Telecaster (i.e., an Esquire, etc.)

so, if i have my facts and/or myths correct, it would be more accurate to say they cut their teeth on shitty guitars and hit the big time with a Tele before moving on up to a Lester

since we are on the subject, anyone else see pictures of early stateside Hendrix with the crap he played on before breaking big in England?

i must agree, the myth sounds much better than the facts - Oh Well...
Agreed, i'm sure they all started from the begining, my first electric was a Teisco ET-200 and a 5 watt amp from Montgomery Ward catalog.

What i take from the GP/Beck interview is ego pushing out grace, although he was asked, and should be able to give his opinion, it just comes across as smug & unprofessional, especially if your a company trying to market one of his products.

He should be able to play what he want's [beck], but i find his sound very mono/tone, dry, plain, boring, in need of some tweaking & polish, he seems to be going backwards rather than forward.

He also takes a jab at SRV in the same interview [a tone people still can't & try to duplicate] Stevie did "Voodoo Chile" better than Hendrix IMHO, i've never heard beck try to pull that off.

Becks just old, uninspiring, rich & trying to re-invent himself, at the expense of the fans who put him on the map, that's my take.
 


Latest Threads



Top