Beck disses LP's

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
alright Village People, let's just take it one step at a time...

btw, Brad Paisley [cover story, March of 2009 - Guitar Player] "whammy bars are for sissies" - he is definitely on the MLPF "hit list" :naughty:

for those who did not see this thread:

MC:
You've played both Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster guitars during your career.
How do they compare and contrast?

Beck:
It's a totally different animal. One is for very subtle and, I would say, more musical things that you can distract and abuse.
You can't do that with a Les Paul. It's too delicate.
It's got a very delicate tone; most people don't ever realize that because they are plugged into monstrous amplifiers
which completely, instantaneously covers up the unique sound quality it has.
All those years of development go straight out the window when you overload the amp.

(Music Connection, April 2010, page 37)

(sounds suspiciously like a compliment regarding Les Pauls to me)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/85827-jeff-beck-do-you-agree-him.html

next step, this is JB's quote from the June of 2010 Guitar Player, page 70:

"A Les Paul, which is kind of a sissy guitar compared to a Strat anyway. The Les Paul is heavier, but because of that bulk you can do bends on it more easily. Also, the Les Paul's lack of a vibrato arm means you're not wrestling against the spring-loaded bridge all the time. The Strat is the ultimate because it's like having a miniature pedal steel within it. Once you get familiar with it where the bends are and where they meld down into a fourth or whatever, you can do all kinds of pedal-steel-like things, which I think are cool.."

okay, now we have the facts of what Jeff actually said, for those of you who read he was calling Les Paul players "sissies" - above is your supporting data to make your case to tar and feather Beck for having an opinion and a preference

for those of you who did not read he was calling Les Paul players "sissies" - above is your supporting data to make your case to spare tar and feathering Beck for having an opinion and a preference

for those you who are not sure, just rip on something petty like the weight or clothing of a 65 year-old living legend whom Jimi Hendrix was too intimidated to meet when he came to London, and both Clapton and Page have said Beck is the best when he is "on" - but hey, that is their opinion - we need to sort out this "sissy" crisis first before something worse happens like your "He's The Greatest" (let's be honest, there is no "she") breaks a fingernail and it is implanted into the headstock of a bass guitar

why are some us (including myself) unwilling to entertain the reality our guitar "gods" are human and the ONLY difference between them and (most) of us is their astronomical talent?

"Let the good times roll..."

teleman

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this was said partly with tongue in cheek.
He's been know to make statements that ruffle some feathers just to stir things up.
All that aside he sure sounded good playing a Lester with Imelda May at this year's Grammy awards.

charveldan

Banned
Reaction score
JB has accomplished more than i ever will, a legend for sure, i like to watch him play and respect his opinion.

However Clapton, Page & Beck all cut thier teeth on Les Pauls including Keith Richards, then they all got rich & famous with endorsments so........

I have strats, but never play them.

For me a Les Paul is THE ultimate guitar in tone, finish, action & performance, i've playe alot of guitars in 35 years, but none like my Goldtop, at 9.3 pounds it's anything but "delicate".

The_Sentry

Reaction score
So this was AFTER he went out and tried to sell a 25,000 POS replica of his old Oxblood?

What a douche bag...

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
However Clapton, Page & Beck all cut thier teeth on Les Pauls including Keith Richards, then they all got rich & famous with endorsments so........

You are saying that all these big names use Fender because Fender pays them to do so?

kylehnewman

Reaction score
x–ray;1684375 said:
(btw, brad paisley [cover story, march of 2009 - guitar player] "whammy bars are for sissies" - he is definitely on the mlpf "hit list" :naughty:)
i totally agree with paisly! If your playing a tele, bend the neck!
He also went on to say not to bend the neck on a les paul

BlueFin

Reaction score
Yeah well he's nearly deaf so what do you expect?

kec

Reaction score
Like Jeff's Strats, his rods aren't sissy's either :laugh2:

kec

Reaction score
Listen to "Loose Cannon" and tell me if than can be duplicated on a Les Paul - well Jeff probably could :)

Jeff now prefers Strats becuase of this - mucho versatility!

triplehold

Reaction score
As much as I love my Pauls...I have to agree...take an alder (not ash) bodied strat with a maple neck...drop in a hot humbucker and you'll get quite a tonal punch. Not to mention tons of harmonic overtones and shit
I concur.

ElectricGuitarist33

Reaction score
Jeff Beck's a sissy.
I agree. He's a wimp, and I've always hated his music.

I have nothing against Fender, they're polar opposite to Gibson, but lately, I have to say, I don't even want to touch Fender. The Gibson (and even my Epi ES 335) are all around, so much nicer in every way.

EDIT : Are we talking Jeff Beck, or Beck 'I'm a loser baby, so why don't ya kill me', Beck?

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
Jeff Beck said:
It's a totally different animal. One is for very subtle and, I would say, more musical things that you can distract and abuse.
You can't do that with a Les Paul. It's too delicate.
It's got a very delicate tone; most people don't ever realize that because they are plugged into monstrous amplifiers
which completely, instantaneously covers up the unique sound quality it has.
All those years of development go straight out the window when you overload the amp.
Well...if that's the case Mr. Beck...why don't Strats sound like that through the same amps?

Burn Mr. Beck...BURN!!!

Latest Threads