Beck disses LP's

Frankie A.

Reaction score
Of course it's all about the guitar you are accustomed to. Hendrix plays a flying V on the Isle of White video concert (I think it is that one), and he doesn't sound up to his usual greatness. What aspects of sloppiness he had developed by way of very forgiving single coils kind of show through on the humbuckers.
Well said . . very insightful :thumb:

axepilot

Reaction score
He called them delicate.

Get it straight kiddo.
Thank you...................I just finished reading that interview.

Even if he did slam LP's (which he didn't), who are we among mere mortals to take offense? :laugh2:

siggy14

Reaction score
I agree somewhat, if i am playing an outdoor event where it is cold, I would much rather have a strat thena les paul, the strat's neck will stay alot more stable

River

Reaction score
He was misquoted. He didn't call the Les Paul a sissy guitar. He said people who play them are sissies. He's a sissy too, and knows it. He felt it was time to come clean.

I know. I was there, and I took notes.

:laugh2:

frankie Luke

Reaction score
As a new Gibson LP owner(decades with Strats) I read it as what I find. I play with a much lighter touch on the Les Paul than on my Strats. Probably partly because I never played anything else for over 20 years. You can beat a Strat to death, playing hard I mean. Not so, for me, with the Gibson Les Paul. but I am loving the light touch, especially at my age. I imagine the HB pups have a lot to do with it also, for me. I have not picked up my Strats since I got the Les Paul (about 40 days). I am only in a Studio and having so much fun!

axepilot

Reaction score
You can abuse a Strat and it will ask for more. Les Pauls require a more delicate and precise approach.

siggy14

Reaction score
A Strat is like a hooker, it is cheap, you can bang the crap out of it and it keeps coming back for more. A les paul is like your wife or your girlfriend, will cost you alot more and if you abuse it then it will break down and you will have to spend alot more money to get it right again!

smcgov

Reaction score
This is the quote.....

"A Les Paul, which is kind of a sissy guitar when compared to a strat anyway."

smcgov

Reaction score
I just thought it was worthy of a little banter among MLP'er's.

kirs

Reaction score
Seems a lot of LP guys turn to Strats when they get older. Jimmy page stood his ground though :)

sonar

Reaction score
I have to concede that he might be one of the greatest electric guitar players ever.

That said, does anyone else think his original music (post JBG) is terrible? To me this goes beyond Strat's and LP's. That kind of suck is universal.

smcgov

Reaction score
Seems a lot of LP guys turn to Strats when they get older. Jimmy page stood his ground though :)
Yea, I kinda wondered why LP players seem to end up on strats / teles (Clapton, Richards, Beck come to mind). I remember thinking when I was younger that I would never not play a LP (mostly because of Page) but now I spend signifigant time with my strats and tele's.

I was especially bummed when Clapton played a strat during his Cream reunion with some tweedy fender amps too! I thought for sure he break out an SG or LP and the Marshall stack.. in fact I thought his tone kinda sucked for that gig at least.

sonar

Reaction score
I read an interview with Ritchie Blackmore recently (another fave of mine), and what he said will probably really raise some hairs here. I can only paraphrase as I'm going on memory, but he said something like: 'I defy anyone to develop a distinct and individual style with a Les Paul - it can't be done. A Stratocaster lets the player come through more...' - or something to that effect. Of course, Ritchie doesn't mince words much. Bless the man.
Nice to know Ritchie is still an asshat. I love those DP and early Rainbow records, but as an interview subject and from what former bandmates claim, what a stool!

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
Look at what SRV does to his number one strat during the El Macambo show. Strats take a beating.... Les Pauls are delicate.

However, take all of the best sounding strats in the world and compare them, what do they have in common?

They ain't Les Pauls.

Frankie A.

Reaction score
I was especially bummed when Clapton played a strat during his Cream reunion with some tweedy fender amps too! I thought for sure he break out an SG or LP and the Marshall stack.. in fact I thought his tone kinda sucked for that gig at least.
Even old Jack played his EB-1 for the show along with his Warwick fretless.
Never understood why EC went for the strat . . he blocks off the tremolo for tuning stability anyway. Guess it's the feel of the thin neck and twangy tone . .

markykins

Reaction score
I wanted to see Clapton play a LP as well. But it seems to me that he may have a contract with Fender to not play anything but fenders in public. This could be because of his Eric Clapton Strat models or his Blackie custom shop model. This is just an idea of mine but I haven't seen him play anything but fender in a very very long time.

axepilot

Reaction score
This entire thread cracks me up - "OMG! Jeff Beck is dissing Les Pauls! Oh, the humanity!"

Lighten up, guys. While some of us might have the hubris to compare themselves to Jeff, most of us aren't even qualified to carry his gig bag.

Frankie A.

Reaction score
This entire thread cracks me up - "OMG! Jeff Beck is dissing Les Pauls! Oh, the humanity!"

Lighten up, guys. While some of us might have the hubris to compare themselves to Jeff, most of us aren't even qualified to carry his gig bag.
No doubt . . but I think it's more about one of the biggest guitar gods making a perceived slight to a particular model of guitar we are all fond of in spite of the fact Gibson has recently stuffed loads of cash in his pocket with the Oxblood model . .

Latest Threads