Beck disses LP's

LesLuvva

Reaction score
This. Is what he said.

He's Jeff Beck.

He can say whatever he want's
Exactly. And when you can play like he can, you can pretty much wear whatever you want as well - even a red vest w/no shirt.

JMV

Reaction score
It seems to be more of a slam on a majority of LP players rather than the guitars themselves. That's better, no? :laugh2:

rullian

Reaction score
I want to try out a Monstrous amp. Where can I find one? :laugh2:

dynamohum

Reaction score
This. Is what he said.

He's Jeff Beck.

He can say whatever he want's
Amen to that. One of the very few living legends out there.

There's a "classic interview" with Beck in March's GP2 where he calls Page's playing cliched and how he still gets away with it (bear in mind this was in 1975). I'm sure those two are still great mates :).

Beck is the most interesting "popular" guitarist out there right now imo. His new album is very good.

Ed B

Reaction score
1 star threads rule!!!!!!!!

JBranch

Reaction score
He said the Les Paul was kind of a sissy guitar, and that it was easier to do bends because it was so heavy.

But yeah, he's Jeff Beck. I've seen him do incredible things with a LP, a Strat, and a Gretch, probably others that I just didn't pay attention to.

HDS

Reaction score
I don't own any of his albums so...there.

ehamady6

Reaction score
Hypocrite.

Gibson introduces the limited edition 1954 Jeff Beck Les Paul Oxblood Guitar:

Frankie A.

Reaction score
No matter what guitar he plays . . he still sounds like Jeff Beck . . but he is the master of the wammy bar strat and he probably feels more affinity towards it than the Paul, so what . . it's his opinion, we're free to have ours as well ! :thumb:

River

Reaction score
Talk about quoting out of context. Well, you didn't even quote him. :rolleyes:

X-Ray did a whole poll thread on this. Seems the people with a lot of experience agreed with him. Funny how that works. :)

JBranch

Reaction score
I don't have the article in front of me, I can't quote verbatim, but I read it yesterday. His technical explanation of why he likes the Strat, the sounds he can get with the floating Strat tremolo, I can understand. The only thing I take umbrage with is his characterization of the LP as a sissy guitar. Unless he's just talking about the fact that most LPs LOOK fancier than most Strats, which I would say is true. But I don't know about you... there's nothin' sissy about MY LP :)

Bonehead

Reaction score
Jeff rules, and I agree with his thoughts here. I love LPs, and can't get enough of mine, but even my mistakes sound good on a Strat....it's just the difference between single coils and Humbuckers, plus some more subtle things no doubt.

I read an interview with Ritchie Blackmore recently (another fave of mine), and what he said will probably really raise some hairs here. I can only paraphrase as I'm going on memory, but he said something like: 'I defy anyone to develop a distinct and individual style with a Les Paul - it can't be done. A Stratocaster lets the player come through more...' - or something to that effect. Of course, Ritchie doesn't mince words much. Bless the man.

Of course it's all about the guitar you are accustomed to. Hendrix plays a flying V on the Isle of White video concert (I think it is that one), and he doesn't sound up to his usual greatness. What aspects of sloppiness he had developed by way of very forgiving single coils kind of show through on the humbuckers.

The new Jeff Beck album is great, incidentally. I saw him last year, and he did pretty much the Live at Ronnie Scott's setlist with just a couple changes (same band), and he blew the doors off the place. He is one the GREATS. Understated, brilliant.

emoney

Reaction score
You know, after all that time I spent teaching him how to play guitar and then he comes out and upsets me. What kind of 'thanks' is that?

Although, I too hafta agree with, "He's Jeff Beck, he can say what wants", because he IS Jeff Beck. As a matter of fact, he can call me a sissy when it comes to guitar. Now, if he wants to talk potato chip eating, then it's ON!!!

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad used to call me sport when I was a kiddo.

How cool is THAT?

Kinetic

Reaction score
He didn't call it a sissy...let's not all get horny here. He acutally made the Les Paul more unique and distict from the other guitars by his comments.

The Beckster can say his opinion, he definitly has the authority, but for someone like him who prefers a more comfy guitar, a Strat suits him more...Easier on his 65 year old back and neck; easier access to the higher registers, comes with variety of tonal controls which he loves to abuse, and a whammy bar. His strat definitly doesn't come stock with the pickups he uses either.

Dan

Reaction score
Sorry, but there is no luster in my eye for good ol' Jeff Beck. I think he's got a bit of chip on his shoulder because Jimmy Page kicked his ass with both Fenders and Gibsons. :ducks and covers:

Latest Threads